Sponsored by:

"braking backwards"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Not true at all. The brakes need to be release at the right time for that corner. That can be well after turn in depending on the type of corner. If you have stopped braking by turn in you will be giving up tons of speed to those still braking after turn in.

This to me is the heat of trail braking and no it is not a Novice technique.

I think what JPS is saying is that when at threshold, you must begin to release some brake pressure to turn in. Otherwise, you will loose control. Remember the friction circle. You must stay withing that circle.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I think what JPS is saying is that when at threshold, you must begin to release some brake pressure to turn in. Otherwise, you will loose control. Remember the friction circle. You must stay withing that circle.

Yes, thanks. You ease off the brakes as you turn in... Ideally, you should keep the weight transfer on the outside front wheel absolutely identical through the transition from 100% brake to 100% cornering.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Yes, thanks. You ease off the brakes as you turn in... Ideally, you should keep the weight transfer on the outside front wheel absolutely identical through the transition from 100% brake to 100% cornering.
JCP911S, that identical weight transfer must a some balancing act, as shown by your avatar

I also use a form of the 'squeeze your student', but I do it (with their permission) as hand pressure on their right thigh as they brake. I find that my hand's varying pressure on their thigh is more 'connected' to the student's braking pressure.

Bill
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
i don't think that is really ideal. You load the fronts equally under straight line braking but as soon as you turn and generate g loads, there is weight transfer from inside to outside. I suspect there is only one theoretical corner for any given car where the outside ront tire load would be constant.

Weight is always moving around (remember that weight transfer is not a function of body roll, it is a function of g loads) andour job as a driver is to manage that weight.

Quick Reply: "braking backwards"