Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the Shaw IROC spoiler.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

That's nice and Shaw finally deleted the rectangular indentation in the rear of the wing! That would be the one I would buy regardless of any price differential..
Old 07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That's nice and Shaw finally deleted the rectangular indentation in the rear of the wing! That would be the one I would buy regardless of any price differential..
Shaw is always my first choice for glass Let me know what Hairy Dog says. What is that rectangular hole for anyway?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by jaydubya
Shaw is always my first choice for glass Let me know what Hairy Dog says. What is that rectangular hole for anyway?
On the original there is a small black trim grate that goes in there. I thinks it's just decorative. Order from Shaw, mine came from GT Racing. Shaw is the only way to go as long as they have the look you want..
Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary R.
On the original there is a small black trim grate that goes in there. I thinks it's just decorative. Order from Shaw, mine came from GT Racing. Shaw is the only way to go as long as they have the look you want..
Will do! Thanks to Gary and everyone else for the help!

Jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 03:56 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

MA Shaw is a great reseller, but -- like most all the fiberglass resellers -- the majority of his parts come from the manufacturer Getty Design.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:57 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
MA Shaw is a great reseller, but -- like most all the fiberglass resellers -- the majority of his parts come from the manufacturer Getty Design.
I was under the impression that it was the other way around.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:09 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

As I've always understood it, Getty Design is the manufacturer and MA Shaw is a reseller. The two companies have a close relationship, since they share the same building.

By all accounts I've heard, Mike Shaw is great to do bisuness with. But he is not the only (or the cheapest) reseller of Getty Design parts.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
jaydubya
Racer

If there is a cheaper source for the same parts that Shaw sells I'm all ears!
Old 07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

jaydubya, your interprtation of the PCA stock class rules is correct as written it is illegal to use lightweiht panels(even if attached/part of a spoiler). However in practice PCA has allowed 911's to do this. I and other 944 racers have noted this to PCA's rules review presently progress. We don't expect or want 911's to change their engine covers, but are asking PCA to allow us to replace our rear hacthes with Lexan versions incorporating larger spoilers.

Sorry to hijack your thread, I just thought you might be interested to know that you 'read the rules' correctly.

Bill
Old 07-03-2006, 06:50 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Bill - thanks for the clarification! Sounds like although it is not technically legal to use a fiberglass decklid integrated with a spoiler, it is not enforced?

So in your opinion I would likely not get any grief by doing it?

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 07:38 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Jeff, rest at ease, in my opinion you will have no problem. Well, if you want official clarification email Donna Amico PCA's Techincal and Rules contact:

donnaamico@comcast.net

Bill
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Thanks Bill!

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would imagine that Donna would say, "No, you cannot have a fiberglass rear deck".

You can have a fiberglass spoiler.

As a practical matter, unless you should happen to start winning races, or your class at least, probably no one is going to file a protest against your combination deck lid/spoiler.

With respect to the Lexan rear hatch, which is lighter than the gigantic glass rear hatch on the 924, 944, 968, I'm surprised that the PCA club racing rule doesn't permit replacement of the hatch glass, not for weight savings, which is a non-issue in the stock classes where the car is supposed to weigh the "factory" weight, but from a "safety"standpoint. Customarily, safety is one area where the PCA rules allow for some deviation concerning the removal or replacement of parts in the stock classes. If a Lexan windscreen is okay, why not a Lexan rear hatch??

BTW, that 1-piece fiberglass tail/deck lid isn't much lighter (if it's lighter at all) than adding a fiberglass (or if money is no object, carbon fiber) Carrera tail to your existing steel rear bonnet.

Good luck with the club racing.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
With respect to the Lexan rear hatch, which is lighter than the gigantic glass rear hatch on the 924, 944, 968, I'm surprised that the PCA club racing rule doesn't permit replacement of the hatch glass, not for weight savings, which is a non-issue in the stock classes where the car is supposed to weigh the "factory" weight, but from a "safety"standpoint. Customarily, safety is one area where the PCA rules allow for some deviation concerning the removal or replacement of parts in the stock classes. If a Lexan windscreen is okay, why not a Lexan rear hatch??
One of the little oddities in the rules. I suspect that somone who was on the original rules committe had a lexan windshield, hence the rule. I would be far more likely to change my side and/or rear glass before I'd touch the windshield. In fact, I'd like to be able to change one of my rear window to put in a naca duct for ventilation.

The reason they won't change the rules to allow 944s to change the rear hatch is that it would need to apply to all models (911s, etc). You cant give just one model the right to remove weight up high and redistribute it down low with ballast.

Quick Reply: Need help selecting rear spoiler, PCA G stock