Sponsored by:

MSR cresson, safety issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSR cresson, safety issue?

This weekend at the PCA DE at MSR Cresson I got to thinking. As I was coming around entering the new track there was a car(looked to be a GT3 cup car?) at the pit out point. At first I thought it was a car that spun but as I passed I realized he was on the pit out road, out in the open, waiting for the green/go sign. Very similiar to this https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/272558-instructor-looses-temper-oh-and-an-evo-takes-out-a-nsx-and-a-g35.html if you ask me. Maybe there should be a wall there? Maybe they should move the new "stop sign" back? Maybe I'm over analyzing? Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:24 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The pit out in the new section does put a lot of responsibility on the corner worker holding the stop sign. Cars come up to that area fast, and there is no time for indecision by the corner worker, or hesitation on the drivers part once given the go sign. It isn't an ideal set up, but i am not sure where else to put the pit exit that would be an improvement.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

While I was not able to participate in last weekend's DE, there was considerable discussion about track entrance procedures at the DE held during the Club Race over Memorial Day weekend. If I recall, there was plenty of experimentation with different signs from the corner workers, and the consensus on Sunday morning at the driver's meeting was that the corner workers needed a BIGGER sign. Were they using bigger signs this time, or were the signs in use still pretty small?

Even with all the discussion about signage size, the instructions were clear... if you get a green, be sure to look left and GO. No lollygagging or you'll have a nice ornmanent in the driver's side door.

I do agree that the signs need to be bigger. Perhaps a very vivid red/green street light setup would work?

Toby
Old 06-27-2006, 10:53 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

The stop sign was right where the wall ended. He must have pulled passed it. That's why they put the stop sign there, to make sure the car entering the track is covered by the pit wall.

I know it confused some, as they would stop there on the initial lap. I guess the stern "you will be thrown out if you don't stop there" got to some, but apparently not to others.

Finally, that station has had issues in the past two events. I know they didn't do the best job during the club race and they were a little mixed up this past weekend. I guess you need to put your best people there.

George
Old 06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

vaio - you must have been the black M3 that kept passing me all weekend.

Agreed it does seem dangerous, and they did stress the stop sign in the driver's meeting both days. I never had any problems with people pulling out in front of me there. Do you think a bigger, more obvious sign might help alleviate the situation?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Adrienne,

Vaio (Greg) doesn't even drive an M3, it's a 330!!! He gets it around fairly well. He needs to be in a higher run group. One of smoothest drivers I've seen in a long time, it's like he's not even trying.

George
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Adrienne
vaio - you must have been the black M3 that kept passing me all weekend.
My car is black, but it's not an M3, its a 330Ci. I was running in yellow and white last weekend, but there was also a black M3 I know that got moved from blue to yellow on sunday.
Originally Posted by George A
Vaio (Greg) doesn't even drive an M3, it's a 330!!! He gets it around fairly well. He needs to be in a higher run group. One of smoothest drivers I've seen in a long time, it's like he's not even trying.
Thanks. I got bumped to White on Sunday.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:31 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vaio76109
This weekend at the PCA DE at MSR Cresson I got to thinking. As I was coming around entering the new track there was a car(looked to be a GT3 cup car?) at the pit out point.
Was it the car in my avatar? That was the first time I've driven the new track, so maybe I was too far (only drove once during the weekend).

I've always been more concerned with a car flying past the entrance to rattlesnake and crossing traffic into Richocet.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

I beleive it was. It was the 4th session on Sunday, and that was the only time I saw that car.

Quick Reply: MSR cresson, safety issue?