Stock seat harness hole

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgz924s
I am sorry if my reply was a bit too emotional, was not intended to be. It is just that when the MAN calls ones number you take a different more emotional side. Life, yours or mine instantly becomes a touchy area for this old dude. Just trying to keep others from following me circling the drain! Hope all can understand my POV.

What ever route you take I hope it is a smart one!

Dal
Not at all, Dal;

Not overly emotional at all. Of course, such a display evokes an emotional response in all of us who care about motorsports. My concern, and Kurt's (if I may) is that this emotional response does NOT carry through to the process of figuring what if anything can be done about safety concerns.

There is a huge tendancy in a lot of folks to do something just to show action, or make themselves feel good. I want action taken ONLY if it is well-reasoned, non-draconian, and reaonably sure to effect outcomes positively. Unfortunately, many actions taken are not thought out past the point where the emotional need to do something is satisfied. That usually is not nearly far enough.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:08 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey John! And thanks! Post was made after mine so I had to assume I may have stirred up the guy a bit with my reply. 2 ex wives have me trained to think I am the one who is the badboy. Need rehab!
Sometimes when I try to walk on water I sink! I am out and all 's

Dal
Old 06-27-2006, 11:00 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't mean emotion as in crying or going ballistic or anyone that has posted in this thread. The emotional reaction that I am referring to is like the often heard one that goes "Never use harnesses without a roll bar or you will get your head mashed in a rollover. Full setup or stock" This common response is not based in real world and in fact will prevent a person from getting the first 80% of the added safety of a harness, seat and bar installation. The harness and seat add the most increase. I have been googling and digging for a while and there looks to be a lack of collated data on systems. There is loads of single device data such as hans device sled work or seats but full or partial system data is scant and often antidotal at best. We all drive using partial systems and I am looking for a way to present a clear and thought out incremental buildup in safety in DE cars. No hard fast preconceived ideas or axes to grind just looking to have something real and fact based answers to present to fellow PCA members when asked. I get this kind of question often and it is important to me to have a real answer not just what folks have been parroting for many years based on real physics and likelihood's or not. Is there data on full systems and partial systems?
We have to face the fact that there will always be dual use cars. What increases the safety of a dual use car?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:54 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
We have to face the fact that there will always be dual use cars. What increases the safety of a dual use car?
Good Driving!

I think your intent was clear, Kurt. At least it was to me because I'm on the same page. I'm not a knee jerk kind of person when it comes to this stuff. When you BUILD stuff (whatever it may be), you know that you cannot forsee all possibilities, as much as you try to up front. I'm fortunate to have pretty good intuitions about the stuff I do, so it usually works as planned out of the box. Even then, there are always a few little things I wish I did differently.

Larry Herman talked about stopping by for a visit on his way through to the Glen this weekend. What's your schedule like? We should get together and form a pact!
Old 06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you coming up to the Glen this weekend? (I bet we could squeeze in one more instructor) I will be driving up on Thu but will be trailering in a group. How far are you guys from the Glen?

Larry stop by and say hi if you are driving with us this weekend. Look for the #7 green car that looks like it has stalled on track. That's me.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope;

No more Glen for me this year. Once is enough. Larry called me on his way to the Club Race (I was on my way to Mid O) and I thought he said he was going this weekend too. He talked about doing dinner Thursday. Maybe I've got the wrong event.

I live <1.25 hours from the Glen, and am less than 10 minutes from Route 17, exit 67. Hopefully the roads will be back open for your trip tomorrow. Lots of rain, don't you know... Stop by if you have some time.

Quick Reply: Stock seat harness hole