Sponsored by:

Joey Hands M3 Flip at Mid Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:38 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joey Hands M3 Flip at Mid Ohio

Anyone see Joey Hands M3 Flip at Mid Ohio? No injury and he is just fine. That is one tough race car. Wow!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 PM
onasled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my post below for video
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/282273-ouch-this-hurt-video.html
Old 06-25-2006, 10:43 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Leh is a regular here, video shows he got quite a view!

Glad Joey is OK
Old 06-25-2006, 10:48 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That was scary. I hope they fix that damn jump/lip. I guess that is there from the repave? He wasn't that far off the track, that could have happened at our DE!
Old 06-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

This type of bump is at another track I like but wouldn't run again. IRP is a great layout but between the rough areas off track and the track conditions I swore it off. Friend that races SCCA there said several formula type cars have flipped when they hit the raised area for an access road in turn one.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks like Mid Ohio has a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes...my Dad, son and I were there in person and saw the incident. We were sitting above the keyhole but I had just put my camera down (damn!!). When he got "moved" to the inside I really didn't think much of it...I nudged my dad and told him to watch because Joey wasn't giving in and seemed to have every intention of maintaining speed.

When he hit the berm of the new access road, the car flew into the air like a bomb had gone off. What is amazing (beyond the fact that Joey is OK) is that the car was flipping through the air and didn't make contact with the ground for several of the flips.

Greg/Jim - I don't expect the bump to be there very long...it was so obvious that it caused a serious accident that I expect they'll be working on it this week. I will certainly check it out on a track walk before I race there again.

There was also a dramatic wreck in turn 1 this afternoon at the latter part of the Grand Am Cup race - three of the ST cars got tangled up right around the turn in point (not sure...I didn't see the start of the incident) but they finished on the outside of the track right against the fence. One of them rolled several times and a second car did a "nose stand" and nearly landed on one of the other cars. The driver who was on the outside said that he caused the accident by by turning in and not giving the other guy any room. I told him that they must not have a 13/13 rule because I doubt you'd hear those words out of a PCA racer!!

Here's a couple of pictures of what was left of Joe's car. What's amazing is how well the cockpit of the car held up through such a dramatic crash.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2006, 11:52 PM
onasled
Instructor

What cars crashed in the ST class? Was it one of the blue Minis by chance
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

No...it wasn't one of the Minis. They both had a pretty good race although one of them spent a bunch of time in the pits.

Two of the cars were Acuras and the third was a Honda (or at least it used to be a Honda). Here's the summary from the track report:
The No. 75 Acura, No. 29 Acura, and the No. 189 Honda make contact heading into Turn 1. One car spins, hits the retaining wall and flips, landing on the straightaway, collecting the two other cars. All three cars roll repeatedly, landing in the grass. All drivers quickly get out of their cars on their own power.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't Mid Ohio where the ALMS Aston Martin flew for 140+ feet before hitting the gravel trap a few weeks back? Who repaved the track, a stunt driving school?

Glad to head Joey is OK. That is one nasty wreck for something that should have been a simple off.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first saw the video on Speed this afternoon, I thought "Note to self: Stay off the grass on the inside of the backstraight at Mid-Ohio".
Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 AM
tchandler
Instructor

Glad to here Joey was ok. One question. Does anyone know how Max Angelelli. got around Jorg B. and Gurney to take second. That move got lost in the brodcast as Joey's Incident was happening.
Regards,
tc
Old 06-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

The thunderstorms yesterday killed my Direct TV reception so I missed this. Glad to hear that Joey Hand was OK.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
agio
Racer

I was watching the race...great race. But oh wow! That flip was absolutely the scariest incident I have ever seen. Is Hand really OK? If so, it's nothing short of a miracle. I think I counted about 6 flips altogether. Makes you think, right?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Yeah it makes me think! I am sure glad I bought a factory race car! This incident just shows just how well designed and safe these cars really are. Just ask Joey Hand or Analog Mike!

Quick Reply: Joey Hands M3 Flip at Mid Ohio