kumho v710 tire pressures

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:46 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kumho v710 tire pressures

can anyone recommend HOT pressures. there's nothing on kumho's site nor on tirerack.

tia
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

The Vette Guys I know that are using the Kumo' 710's in T-1 are saying ~ 36/38 psi HOT.

They say 40 psi is too much.

I will be running the 710's at Road Atlanta in July with the BMW club. This will be my first time on Kumho 710's... I've been on Hoo-Hoo's (Hoosier's) which like ~ 42psi HOT.

Might have more info after that.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The 36 range jibes with autocrosser reports. The Hoosier 06 tires also take this
range. Hoosier says to run them softer than 05s and previous which did like
40-42psi.
Joe Weinstein
Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

I was at 37psi hot last year, but that was in a 944. Main thing to watch with 710's is the loss of grip when they use up their heat cycles. Three-four weekends is about it ... 15-20 heat cycles ... and I don't know anyone around here whose V710's survived the winter. But oh boy do they ever stick when they are fresh. :-)
Old 06-23-2006, 07:11 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
The Vette Guys I know that are using the Kumo' 710's in T-1 are saying ~ 36/38 psi HOT.

They say 40 psi is too much.

I will be running the 710's at Road Atlanta in July with the BMW club. This will be my first time on Kumho 710's... I've been on Hoo-Hoo's (Hoosier's) which like ~ 42psi HOT.

Might have more info after that.
Trumper is right. I've been running the 710's on my z06 for a couple of years and they run best for me when I start at 25-26#'s. That gets them to the mid 30's when they are hot and they work real well. Some of the T1 racers even start with less than 25#'s.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:01 PM
PT
Racer

In addition to tire pressure, I have heard that the V710 is designed as an autocross tire as opposed to track tire (implying that it will overheat/not last for more than a lap or 2). Is that the case?
Craig, how does it compare to the V700 victoracers if you had used that before? Both track & longevity?

thanks...
Old 06-23-2006, 09:08 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Trumper is right. I've been running the 710's on my z06 for a couple of years and they run best for me when I start at 25-26#'s. That gets them to the mid 30's when they are hot and they work real well. Some of the T1 racers even start with less than 25#'s.
Howdy Mr. Mayor, your Honor, Sir !!!

I see you have been here a while. Very Good... technical stuff on this site.

The Kumho V 710's are "Road Racing"... DOT... " R " Tires. Some people have used them for auto-cross events.

There ie: when auto-crossing...
cold pressure should be ~ 36 psi.

Your not on the track long enough in auto-cross to heat them up!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:56 PM
PT
Racer

Trumper, thanks for the insights... that's what I thought as well but since I heard otherwise, I thought I'll ask.
Have you tried the old V700 Victorracer before? How does it compare?

thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:12 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Originally Posted by PT
In addition to tire pressure, I have heard that the V710 is designed as an autocross tire as opposed to track tire (implying that it will overheat/not last for more than a lap or 2). Is that the case?
I'd say it is a soft compound tire. They are perfect for time trialing, will work in autox. If you need/are used to a hard compound tire they are easy to over-drive (and thus over-heat, kill, etc.). Seem to work with heavier cars (over 3000lbs) as well as lighter ones. Carcass seems to support cars with less negative camber than Hoosiers, but the tires do like negative (like all current R's). It is too early in the season here to tell how they compare to the Hoosier R6, but early results here seem to indicate it will be very close. (Road racers around here are in series with Toyo or Hankook spec tires - the time trialers and autox'ers are primarily the ones buying V710's.)

Craig, how does it compare to the V700 victoracers if you had used that before? Both track & longevity?
I've a few sets of V700's, shaved and unshaved. When compared to V710's, V700's are heavier, slower, and have a much longer useful life. However, V710's have given me personal-bests at every track and event that I was on them.

V710's are subtle in their communication to the driver, and seem to "deaden" steering feel. The tires are not loud communicators. Fortunately, the tires also have a very broad slip angle curve - if one drives like an idiot like I do more often than not, the tires will save/improve results.

When they run out of heat cycles (and they'll do this before they physically wear out), there will immediately be relatively little grip until you get the rubber melting, and even then the grip won't be good. They don't seem to mind autox heat cycles as much - autox'ers seem to be able to get 8 to 10 events out of them.

YMMV, I'm in a 944 S2, pretty much stock except for springs and 250 lbs of safety equipment - including skid plates and mudguards - so my experience may not be typical ... Seriously though, I have no idea what pressures V710's will handle on the back of a 911, for example.

A final note: A competitor in an F-body ran V710's for the first time a couple of weeks ago and experienced a tread splice showing - a common V700 appearance. First time I'd heard/seen about it on a V710, though, and it didn't look pretty. He was, however, almost a second faster in V710's over shaved RA-1's, on a 53 second road course (Shannonville Nelson).
Old 06-24-2006, 04:23 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

thx all, for the great info.

i too thought the v710 was for autocross use only but i read the reviews on tirerack and there were some vette dudes who used them on the big track with great success and good tire wear. the tirerack guy also said they should last a little longer than hoosier r6s but i'll take it with a grain of salt. i thought i would give them a go so i bought 245/45, 315/35-17s. the fit is good on the 9" wide fronts but the rears are "balloned" on the 10.5" wide rims. i hope they don't feel squirmy. the rears just barely fit under my rolled fenders.

i was going to try them out this weekend at buttonwillow but, alas, mech issues have sidelined me. i'll have to wait til july for the next timetrial event.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by karlooz
thx all, for the great info.

i too thought the v710 was for autocross use only but i read the reviews on tirerack and there were some vette dudes who used them on the big track with great success and good tire wear. the tirerack guy also said they should last a little longer than hoosier r6s but i'll take it with a grain of salt. i thought i would give them a go so i bought 245/45, 315/35-17s. the fit is good on the 9" wide fronts but the rears are "balloned" on the 10.5" wide rims. i hope they don't feel squirmy. the rears just barely fit under my rolled fenders.

i was going to try them out this weekend at buttonwillow but, alas, mech issues have sidelined me. i'll have to wait til july for the next timetrial event.
I run the 315/35-17's on 11" rims and they are just right. It won't be a problem on the 10-1/2" from a rim point of view. I can't address the fender clearance issue.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
A final note: A competitor in an F-body ran V710's for the first time a couple of weeks ago and experienced a tread splice showing - a common V700 appearance. First time I'd heard/seen about it on a V710, though, and it didn't look pretty. He was, however, almost a second faster in V710's over shaved RA-1's, on a 53 second road course (Shannonville Nelson).
That's not an uncommon sight on the 710's. I see that occasionally on my 710's and asked the Kuhmo rep about it. He said it's no problem, and I ran them that way and had no issues whatsoever. In fact, after the rubber got hot, it filled back in the little gap in the splice and I couldn't tell where it had been.

I've probably gone through 50 710's, and I've been very pleased with them.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

I'm back from three days with our local Peachtree BMW Club @ Road Atlanta.

Tire pressure: ~36 psi. HOT worked great on my Z06. The V710's are much "stickier"... than the HooHoo's I've been running.

Quick Reply: kumho v710 tire pressures