Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calabogie update

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 220 Likes on 109 Posts

I wouldn't think the ruling contains anything terribly unexpected. The OMB had to appear to at least make some concessions to the "Concerned Citizens".

The people of Calabogie have no idea what kind of positive economic impact is coming.

To me, the 3 year temporary use permit is intended to keep the track operators compliant.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck

To me, the 3 year temporary use permit is intended to keep the track operators compliant.
Absolutely! After reading the order in detail, what they have to remain compliant with concerns me. There also seems to be a statement that the 3 year period will be used to determine if there "is any adverse effect on the people living near the track" during that time. That should be fun to determine/define.

I guess we shall see....
Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

It was a rock quarry with rock crushers and heavy equipment which are much louder than cars with normal exhausts so I wouldn't think that compliance should be much of an issue.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:17 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see it as a positive that there are noise limits. I come to the track for speed not noise. If I wanted loud noise I'd go to a rock concert. Modern exhausts are good enough to not rob the cars of much power so the fun of driving is not constrained at all.
If there are more facilities that can have a low impact on their surroundings it would be easier to build tracks in the future.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think one thing that will be important is how the track drivers behave in the community on their way to/from the track. Although the roads around there are frequently used by sports car/bikes for "spirited" drives, the residents will be on the lookout for speeding cars with numbers on the sides I think.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by amaist
I see it as a positive that there are noise limits. I come to the track for speed not noise. If I wanted loud noise I'd go to a rock concert. Modern exhausts are good enough to not rob the cars of much power so the fun of driving is not constrained at all.
If there are more facilities that can have a low impact on their surroundings it would be easier to build tracks in the future.
I agree as long as reasonable levels are enforced. Stock or at least street legal exhausts should be ok. Ever hear a top fuel dragster run? I'm suprised I can still hear.

Originally Posted by sjanes
I think one thing that will be important is how the track drivers behave in the community on their way to/from the track. Although the roads around there are frequently used by sports car/bikes for "spirited" drives, the residents will be on the lookout for speeding cars with numbers on the sides I think.
Courtesy goes a long way towards bridging opposing points of view.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by amaist
I agree...... and hope that this group handles the situation differently from other noise monitoring tracks. Lime Rock is now pulling compltely stock Porsches from the track, claiming they don't meet the noise requirements, which are based on the CT noise requirements for public roads!

The noise levels that will be enforced are identified in the Calabogie order.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just hope it does not go the way of Arizona Motorsport Park.

Track was completed in 2003 as club only track. No spectators, or stands. It sits at the end of the runway of the largest F-16 training base in the country. Yet in a year's time it got closed down because it was too loud. The origianal operating permit was for 50 years I think with no sound limits at all. Inspite of that they got shut down right in the middle of Porsche Dealer training for the Cayenne. They had some 30-40 of them and they had to pick up and move.

The track owner (a local person looking to build a safe fun "club" track, not big corp) sued the county for revoking his permit without cause. Not sure of the lateset status, but my guess even if he "wins" we never race on that surface again The entire thing was a big politial mess. I hope it does not happen to you guys too. Along they way they were talking about 78 dB sound limits. With limits that low if some has a super size bean burrito at lunch and rips off a big one you are over the limit just like that.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I wonder if the backers will hesitiate to invest a large sum to pave 5 KM of track knowing that they may get shut down after only 3 years. The ROI would be very negative I suspect.

Stacy you make a good point about how drivers will behave affecting the outlook of residents. Rip by some resident on the back road and the fires will be rekindled. reading the reporty I was astonished at how vigorous the residents were in defense of their peace and quiet.

I'm hoping it will calm down. I attended a meeting at Le Circuit with the Calabogie Mayor and Council. It was during a Rennsport DE. From the street outside the track they could not hear us .. in fact they could not find the track. They left convinced that CMP would not harm the environment.

Best,
Old 08-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I'm hoping it will calm down. I attended a meeting at Le Circuit with the Calabogie Mayor and Council. It was during a Rennsport DE. From the street outside the track they could not hear us .. in fact they could not find the track. They left convinced that CMP would not harm the environment.
That in itself bodes well for Calabogie - both the track and the residents.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The report dispenses with the investment concern with a 3 year window by saying something like the incremental work needed over and above what is already invested is not that significant..........

There will be no amplified loud speakers available.......
Old 08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Bull - easy for them to say, but 5 kilometers of paving is not cheap, throw in concrete curbs, and a paved paddock and it is millions.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bull - easy for them to say, but 5 kilometers of paving is not cheap, throw in concrete curbs, and a paved paddock and it is millions.
EXACTLY my point. I should have thrown in some rolling eyeballs. It also rather easily thows away the money already sunk in the deal.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Millions and millions and millions.

We recently put in a relatively small paving area here at the office and it was $100,000.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Millions and millions and millions.

We recently put in a relatively small paving area here at the office and it was $100,000.
Yep, another case of people with no data telling a developer that it isn't all that much for the developers to pay!

Quick Reply: Calabogie update