Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glen tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I, for one, will be knocking at John Hajny's door begging for a ride. That's a great way to see what can be done!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:32 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a bit of the sense of camber in Turn 11 onto the front straight.

If you ever wondered if there was a lot of camber in turn 11:

Note that if you go wide it becomes flat and thus you will lose it in a hurry. This rarely happens, though, as most people bite it in turn 10 ("fast left") instead.

All the other comments are good, but I will tell you that although the Glen "feels fast", in reality it isn't that much different in average speed than, say, Mosport or Road America. I haven't verified this stat recently, though. I think the reason people feel it is fast is there is a lot of "go fast in a straight line, brake, turn, go fast in a straight line, brake, etc". Many of the turns are taken in 2nd gear by some (toe, heel, off camber, for example) but you approach them with some speed. Thus my primary advice is to ensure your brakes are in tip-top shape as the Glen is probably the hardest on brakes of any track I've been to.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
stevemil00
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
Additional tips:

Seneca Lodge is the place for after-track festivities. Enjoy the $2 bills.
Savard's has good breakfast food.

Have a ball!!!
I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of Seneca Lodge, but I might like it more if I drank...

There are some very good restaurants in the greater area, though. I'm a big fan of Stonecat, which is on the left as you take 414 heading toward Hector. I also like Red Newt, which is also on 414, not much further up, on the right (there's a gas station on the corner).

Green Mountain Market in town has good sandwiches.

Savard's is reasonable for breakfast (especially now that they're open again, after having nearly burned down a couple of years ago!). There's another diner-like place (not Chef's!) a little bit further up the main drag -- if you're in town, take the main drag toward Mr. Chicken (another classic lunchtime choice!) and keep going, and it'll be on the left. I don't know offhand if they open earlier or later than Savard's, but if they do, that'd be reason enough to go.

Ithaca's only about 30 minutes away, and there are several good restaurants there. The downside is that you spend 30 minutes driving, then 30 minutes parking.

There's a lot to be said for taking a hike through the falls, and the Corning Museum of Glass is pretty awesome, too.

-Steve
Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a hike thru the falls at least once a weekend (if not twice) - it clears the head and gets you back to reg. speed - spectacular scenery. If you quit early, hustle down to the WG motor racing library in town -other than closing early, they are really nice to the visitors w/ lots of interesting stuff (1/2 hour will b enuf).
Note i've nothing to say about driving the Glen! (except that as Novice De'er, getting signed off my 1st trip there was a great personal thrill experience - driving the Glen for me was like playing golf at Augusta or basketball at Madison Sq. Garden...)
Old 06-21-2006, 10:47 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. Yes, I do drive a 996 but don't want to advertise it here with pics. (Dealer warrantee issues with a previous car where posted pictures were used against me).

I am going to take it easy there as I just increased the spring rate on the PSS9's and now because of tire issues, I have alot of oversteer! Imagine that! I have already ordered replacement wheels and tires to get more rubber in the rear but it won't be ready in time.

I'd love to meet you all, If you know Bill Buff, I will be hanging out with him. Of course, I will be walking around as well. Looking forward to seeing John again. Maybe I will take up your offer for a ride along.

CU soon, the trailer was picked up last night and should arrive Thursday morning.

I can't wait...
Old 06-21-2006, 01:50 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

All the other comments are good, but I will tell you that although the Glen "feels fast", in reality it isn't that much different in average speed than, say, Mosport or Road America. .

Yeah... don;t have my timing sheets with me, but I think Lime Rock is comparable or even maybe faster in avg MPH... but the Glen wins in top speed at the end of the back straight.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

993944S2 - I have to compensate for other things :-) That's why I need the speed...

Norm
Old 06-21-2006, 08:45 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...

What sets the Glen apart is that to be fast there, you must be REALLY fast in most every turn, and that means having some gonads for some of them. Straight, turn, straight, turn. No complexes, other than the Inner Loop, perhaps. There are not any "mitigating" turns where you definitely stand to lose more than to gain. You just have to be fast in them all.

At Mosport you have 5A/B and 9/10 where it is not so much a matter of making time, but of being tidy so as not to LOSE time. You probably stand to lose more in Big Bend and the Left-Hander than there is to gain. Mid O has LOTS of places to give up chunks of time with over-exuberance. The Toe is likely the closest you come to a patient corner at WGI.

I've never been to R/A, but it seems similar to the Glen in tactics needed, from what I've noted on TV.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Per John's advice above, i found this product to be mandatory if you are going to be fast at The Glen:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=4
Old 06-21-2006, 10:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I just watched the official Watkins Glen instructional DVD . . . it is incredible. It is the best instructional DVD I have ever watched . . . even better than the now outdated Mid-Ohio DVD. If you have never been to the glen, this would be a great way to familiarize yourself . . .
Old 06-22-2006, 08:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
FWIW, I just watched the official Watkins Glen instructional DVD . . . it is incredible. It is the best instructional DVD I have ever watched . . . even better than the now outdated Mid-Ohio DVD. If you have never been to the glen, this would be a great way to familiarize yourself . . .
Me want to see too! Glen video night at the Taj?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Hmmm...

Never heard of it.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hmmm...

Never heard of it.
Haven't seen it yet, but it is fairly new. It is on the Glen website, but can only be ordered by phone. Narrated by good 'ol Brock Yates, with multiple pro drivers, according to:

http://www.theglen.com/

Under "The Shop", second item down on the right column. $34.95
Old 06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by kurt M
Me want to see too! Glen video night at the Taj?
Which night works better, Monday or Tuesday? Needs to be late or I will be killed. 9pm work ?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mitch,
Stop by my garage spot any day and I am sure we can get a few guys together to answer ANY questions you might have. I'd even be willing to go for a ride with you if you'd like? I hope to get a chance to meet you. The Glen is the BEST and it flows so nice.

Quick Reply: Glen tips