Sponsored by:

Glen tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 12:07 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I will be there with potomac at the end of June; anyone here going?
I am!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:10 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Mitch is a racer
Oh, then here's the real hints:

1) Every DE cone will be absurdly late. The worst one will be in the carousel. You want to turn into the busstop, make the left and be flat on the floor. Don't breath off the throttle under you are well past the last rumble on the right and about 200' feet down the hill. This entry is the biggest pucker factor area at the Glen for me. Only go to the middle of the track on entry, and then get and stay to the right (watch Larry or mine or DrJupe videos...all do the same). The super wide DE line is really slow here, though it is safe. For the off camber, you need to turn in early and trail brake a ton (almost until you touch the curb on the left). Then feed on the throttle and pray.

2) Look for the extra bits of pavement at track out. Nearly every turn has some, and you can/should use it. That includes the rumbles. If you don't need them, you ain't going that fast. But don't hit the rumbles if it is wet (goes without saying really...).

3) For T1, hit the rumbles on the inside and be flat at or even before the apex. There is a ton of runoff to the outside, so you can take calculated chances here. Feel free to go over the curb, as it is all paved (so of like T5 at Road Atlanta).

4) You need to go flying into the busstop. I am at a top speed of 147-150 and I brake around at the 400 (defined as the nose of my car being at the 400 marker). DrJupe's 964 cup brakes at like the 300, but he is on slicks. Adjust based on your speed, but don't brake too early and trail into to at least the rumble on the right. As soon as you start to turn to the left, you need to be on the gas big time.

5) The fast left can be very fast, but you can't make up that much time there really. Of all the turns, this has the worst risk/reward return. Still, at worst it is a tap at the 100 and go, and at best you can probably do it flat out.

6) And don't forget...flat out from the exit of T1 until the busstop (but work up to it). I have seen people brake into T2 in a DE, and this mistake can literally cost you 3 or more seconds alone. It's not just power that makes you fast here.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

hey mitch, you are running the 996 correct?

not the 944 in the avatar...

have fun in NY!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:34 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I'll be there too and am looking foward to this one. Please don't get green on the front of you cars! I have my old 912 WOT for 99% of the track and 100% if you discount while under braking. You guys talking about feathering or lifting make me laugh in a sad way. The only problem I seem to get is cramping in my right calf from trying to mash the gas pedal through the frigging floor board. "Godamit, Is the motor even running?"
One useless tip I heard some time ago. "If you have 1000 HP, when coming out of of the toe of the boot you will wish you had 2000" I wonder how I am going to get my car up the hill each time...
Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

We'll give you a draft!
More seriously - I moved up from my 1984 to the 993 (with short gears, no less) and still feel bogged down coming up the toe.
One problem (I have many...) is that in my early days at the Glen I saw a few crashes at the toe; still intimidates me.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by kurt M
I wonder how I am going to get my car up the hill each time...
I plan to get out and push.

P.S. I am close to posting that video of me chasing you, and it shows me trying to get green on my bumper when you "surprised" me in the braking zone of the 180.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:42 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kurt M
I'll be there too and am looking foward to this one. Please don't get green on the front of you cars! I have my old 912 WOT for 99% of the track and 100% if you discount while under braking.
What a sand bagger...

All this is bad enough, but not even on the attendees list? Enough with the stealth already!

Look forward to meeting you, Kurt.

Glen Speed Secrets? A diet dominated by popcorn is helpful.

Mitch: Come for a ride Friday morning.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:32 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still a student not a racer but need to say " don't disrespect da toe".

I always worried about makin' it up the damn hill, but a fellow participant at my last DE, went up into the wall on the out lap. Probably inexperience, but many think this is the least likely place to go off.

Savards' is the place for breakfast, and the Seneca Lodge is the place for $1 drafts while studying the wall behind the bar.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The Genesee Valley BMW club instructors recommend that if you want to play, play in the toe. Relatively slow, many good lines and lots of runoff.

I also learned on a track walk that the off-camber turn is really ON camber. It's slippery, but there is positive camber there. It's most slippery where there is an asphalt patch, not really visible when driving, in the middle of the turn.

Where is Savards?
Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Most people don't realize the only off camber part of the track is coming on to the front straight. The very edge of the track is off camber where your tracking out. I can't recommend the track walk enough. Also, there are a fair number of guys, John Hajny included, that drive low horse power cars pretty fast around the Glen. They are the ones to really watch...

Matt
Old 06-20-2006, 03:16 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Where is Savards?
Main Street down town, corner of (I think) Sixth Street. Blue building with white trim on West side of street.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Be careful at the exit of T10. It goes from very nicely on camber to flat then off camber at the very exit by the curbing. If you are really on it and playing "pitch and catch" with the car it can bite you. I have seen more totalled cars at that corner than any other including a 944T at the recent club race.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Sounds like it has all been covered, except for (my paranoia) the black asphalt curbs all over the place. Stay off them.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM
smankow
Pro

My best advice for the glen is to keep the shiny side up

That being said, I also have been watching the videos from the Clash and Larry Herman's GT3 video from last year. In fact, I've been watching them with the turn-by-turn manual that was in the online package. It helps to get a good feel of the track and where you need to be.

Steve
2003 996
Old 06-20-2006, 06:39 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mitch,

If you can catch a ride with John Hajny that's worth the price of admission right there!

I will also be there with my red 968 coupe (Amy's car). Come say "hi" and if want to take a ride over the weekend, we'll do it.

Ciao.

Quick Reply: Glen tips