Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally sending in my Competition license app!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Finally sending in my Competition license app!

Maybe it was all the damn videos that put me over the edge! I just had to fill out a Driver's Log and I have 21 DE day's since June 27, 2005 when I started the downhill plunge... will have 23 on my one year anniversary at WGI. Look for me at Summit Point Club Race if all goes well, i'll be the one finishing in the dark.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HA Ha ha ha hoo hoooo wooooooo Welcome!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Track fodder for you Larry!!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

If you thought DE's were the most fun you could have with your clothes on...

Welcome to the dark side. Oh, and your track budget just doubled
Old 06-16-2006, 09:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
If you thought DE's were the most fun you could have with your clothes on...

Welcome to the dark side. Oh, and your track budget just doubled
Truer words were never spoken
Old 06-16-2006, 09:33 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
Oh, and your track budget just doubled
Just like a drug dealer - lie about how cheap racing is. "double"
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this for the WGI race. Let me know if you have any questions. It's an entirely different level. DE will never be the same.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:31 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gary, The reason there is NO Betty Ford clinic for this addiction is simply no one would attend! Congratulations on the new addiction!!! It took me years of DE .
Old 06-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.. the good news is I plan on staying in G Stock until I can WHOP Bill Richter, which should put me on soft food by then by my estimation... I am happy just to be at this point (actually having LIVED long enough to be here) and have the ability to enter the ranks. Don't worry, HUMBLE is my name and I am just going to try to make it through my first race without being the cause of a "problem".. but DON'T underestimate me.... or maybe DO underestimate me!

Thank you for the offer Chrisp, plan on hearing from me (would love to get together for a beer here in CT?!) .. TD, your video was part of the final kick but Larry's did it... Actually his and Richie's as Rich shifted where I do... hehe..

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-17-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:04 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 822 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
I just went through this for the WGI race. Let me know if you have any questions. It's an entirely different level. DE will never be the same.
So true. I didn't really "get it" until I started racing. I have improved more over the last 18 months than I did in the prior 3 years of DE. It's not that DE is bad (it's not), it's just that you get complacent when you get to a certain level -- you are faster than basically everyone, so you really don't have to keep pushing to improve. Well, when you start racing and are 3 or 4 seconds off the class leader, things change real fast. The other thing is that everyone is fast. This year, the average time in the sprint race was a 2:16.2. That's probably a good 6+ seconds faster than your average Red run group!

So get ready, because everything is going to change.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Thanks guys.. the good news is I plan on staying in G Stock until I can WHOP Bill Richter, which should put me on soft food by then by my estimation
Man, that would be something. Bill is amazing in that car.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:15 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys.. the good news is I plan on staying in G Stock until I can WHOP Bill Richter, which should put me on soft food by then by my estimation... I am happy just to be at this point (actually having LIVED long enough to be here) and have the ability to enter the ranks. Don't worry, HUMBLE is my name and I am just going to try to make it through my first race without being the cause of a "problem".. but DON'T underestimate me.... or maybe DO underestimate me!

Thank you for the offer Chrisp, plan on hearing from me (would love to get together for a beer here in CT?!) .. TD, your video was part of the final kick but Larry's did it... Actually his and Richie's as Rich shifted where I do... hehe..
Smart attitude and congrats on making the plunge. Stay safe and start by not messing up other people's races is a good way to start. After a while you may discover that you are racing much higher up than you imagined and soon start to find yourself on the pointy end of the grid. Have fun.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark, safe exhilarating fun is exactly what I want, and i'm quite sure I won't be dissapointed! Almost can't wait for the butterflies to start.. as I KNOW they are coming!

Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys.. the good news is I plan on staying in G Stock until I can WHOP Bill Richter..

Seriously, there is a reason they put an "X" on the BACK of Rookie cars... but do not require an "X" on the front...

Welcome to the jungle...
Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks, you left out the part where I say I will be on SOFT FOOD by then though....
Old 06-19-2006, 08:51 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary

Congrats, glad you chose to jump in. As 38D explains (and i agree), you can only reach a certain level at DE's. They are a Must, But in order to get above that level racing is the only way. In a DE when you know you are faster than everyone, you tend to drive slower, and develop bad habits.

Having just completed my 4th race ( I am way green still) I can offer some advice as well. I had a ball at Summit last year (2nd race), didnt finish, but had a ball. I think that would be a great track for your debut, wasny packed last year, but no VIR race this year so Summit may get a better turnout.

The other two points made are dead on as well, Triple the budget, prepare for DE's losing there thrill.

Talk to ya soon

Quick Reply: Finally sending in my Competition license app!