Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 for DEs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 for DEs anyone?

I'm seriously considering buying a set of them since I have a really long drive to Mid-Ohio from Chicagoland in July for a 3 day DE event.

I read the few reviews on TireRack and they seem to be a great possibility for very close to R compounds for DE use.

I'm wondering if anyone else at an advanced level (who has used MPSCs or DSSRs) in the past has tried them and can offer comparison results on feel?

I realize they are a new tire out but perhaps someone has already tried?
Old 06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

wow.. don't all answer at once... lol
Old 06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We bought them for our Subaru WRX, but haven't autocrossed them yet. Hope that helps.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:56 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
We bought them for our Subaru WRX, but haven't autocrossed them yet. Hope that helps.
thanks for the response but unfortunately it doesn't help

I'm really hoping for DE track feedback and comparison to DSSRs especially (in advanced or instructor group)

so far it looks like I would be the 1st to try and report back if I decide to give them a go...
Old 06-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Deetz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a little EVO MR, and indeed the Neova is very close to lower R-compound tires (Toyo RA1s, Dunlop SSRs) I've played first with the A046's then the Neovas. The Neova is the tire of choice when the spec Evo A046s give out.

I went back to street tires for a year to "tune up" and it was a good experience - It is fun to slide them around, and trying to minimize the howl tunes your line and smoothness by ear. Very effective.

That said, they exhibit the standard street tire behaviour - the will howl like coyotes, and they get greasy after a couple laps - but they are very linear and predictable - they don't really "break away" they just slide more and more... no chunking, or odd wear, they do wear like iron - good rain or shine.

Grip and braking are less than the Cups - I was really surprised at how stiff the sidewalls of the Cups really are, but less than you might think - the Cups do inspire confidence when they're hot.

I think going back to street tire these days is not much of a big deal - they perform very well, and are indeed "close".

Deetz
Old 06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Deetz!

So you ran your EVO MR on the track with them? ..and you consider them close to the DSSRs then?

If they are very close to the DSSRs, then I'm sold on them for my 993. I had some 'greasy' stuff happen on super hot days with the DSSRs too so if the same happens with these, I'm prepared... I'm just worried about 'getting too greasy to do more than 4 laps' because if that is the case, I won't want them.

Ironicly, Eric has an EVO RS and gets a lot more heat in his tires than I do in my 993 at the track (when he was seeing tire temps close to 200, I wouldn't see more than 170) so I think I have 'less greasy' worry in comparison
Old 06-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Deetz
Instructor

Yes I've had SSRs and RA1s and Cups- Im currently swapping the last two now on alternate weekends (wet dry wet dry - Ohio!)

They do get greasy after about 5 laps at Mid-Oh, but that is part of the fun. I will make you a much better driver at Mid-Oh!

The more you lean on them, the more heat, the greasier they willl feel.

But this is kind of hard to describe - They will perform very well - but they will sound like you're absolutely killing them - and you are, but they still perform fairly well.

I don't think mixing and matching R compounds is a good idea - at all! (your other thread) They will exhibit different slip angle curves (typically) and the Nitto is a very new tire - we've had only one instructor try them and he is undecided. The RA1s are such a known quantity.

Go with the Neovas - they're fun - just be aware of what they are - that their bark is worse than their bite (pun intended)

Deetz.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

thanks again deetz!

Will you be at mid-ohio july 22, 23rd and 24th as well? if yes, stop by and say hi (we'll be the couple with the RED EVO IX RS and the RED 993)

BTW: Any feedback on the A048s? Eric tried them this last weekend on the EVO and didn't like how greasy they got after 2 laps with his RS ..it's made me wonder if I would like them more on my 993 since I don't get as much heat as he does in the tires on same track day despite almost the same lap times.

So I could go either with the AD07s or the A048s at this point (both available in the sizes I need)
Old 06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Deetz
Instructor

The AD07s (Neova) is a (close to R-compound) street tire.

The A048 is Yoks true R-compound.

I've really not tried the A048, but was a fan of A032R's (loudness and all!) It was great as a rain tire too. I think the RA1s have taken that title now - cheap good versatile - good in rain unshaved.

The scuttlebutt is that the A048 is overpriced and not that great - rumors - YMMV - I have no personal experience. I don't know anyone that does! That should tell you something.

Deetz.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should also look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, which is not an R compound but is similar in concept to the Neova. I have driven both, I think the BS is a touch better and both are very very good.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yes, I was curious about the RE-01Rs as well. I think the Advan's are a little cheaper (and tirerack has that $100 crutchfield special going on for the month of june too.. lol)
Old 06-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CE, PM me.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:35 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

not too bad on pricing.. I might have to give 'em a try!

Originally Posted by Matt H
You should also look at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, which is not an R compound but is similar in concept to the Neova. I have driven both, I think the BS is a touch better and both are very very good.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

While were on the topic of street tires, I've seen many people using the Falken Azenis RT615 and they have all said that they like them.

Has anyone tried these on the track and how do they compare to the others mentioned here?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:38 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I heard that the 615s are fantastic for autocross setting but greasy as hell (no stick after 1 lap) in a track setting so I'd stay far away for track.... (I have another thread in the 993 forum were someone with a lightweight miata got them greasy super fast at the track but loved them in the street)

Quick Reply: Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 for DEs anyone?