Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Improving Driver's Ed

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Boulder GT3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Take a leaf from the Chin Motorsports book on how to run a class DE event.

(No, this is not a plug for Chin and I have no affiliation other than a very satisfied DE participant. Most recently at the Glen.)

Here's what they do right...

1) Plenty of track time - one can essentially run all day until tired.

2) No work assignments - provides time to rest, work on car, etc.

3) Classroom Training - 2 sessions daily for the instructed run group.

4) Safety - a lot of emphasis on safety and courtesy on the track. It works.

5) Food - Breakfast, beverages, catered lunch. Good times.

Sure they charge a bit more than the average PCA event, but I think it's a class act. I will certainly participate in future Chin events.
Bingo. I wish these folks did events in the West. It looks fun, safe and flexible.

I think as other groups do more and more track events PCA needs to look inward and ask what they can do to make the events better for the participant not the instructor. I only have exposure to two PCA regions but the other groups like Chin are growing much faster. PCA feels stagnant by comparison.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
BKS comments at a recent driver's education event got me thinking. Here are my suggestions for making Driver's Ed safer and more fun for all. Remember, these are just suggestions. If you don't like them, feel free to criticize, but also make some of your own. It's just a dialog...

1. Cars exceeding 300 rwhp (or some number) be equipped with roll bar and harnesses. I think I remember, certain racetracks require roll cages in drag racers that eclipse a specified 1/4 mile et. I am suggesting something similar here, because at some point the car's potential is far greater than the student's experience..
I strongly disagree. I think we're confusing DE with racing. There are plenty of 500 ish HP cars which are driven on the streets and highways without additional safety equipment. The emphasis on DE should be on learning how to drive safely, even at speed. Many DE drivers never race, some don't even come back after a season or two. Our job is to make them better (and by definition, safer drivers). DE is not racing school.

Originally Posted by JBH
2. Speed limits be imposed on the beginners/novice group. That speed depends on the track and when it is imposed, it could replace the roll bar/harness requirement above.
Strongly agree. We do this in our region. Teaching proper driving techniques, cornering, smoothness, car balance and contact patch management has nothing to do with ultra high speeds. How many corners are there that demand entry speeds much above 80 MPH? If they do exist, do you need to exceed 80 MPH or so to learn the technique? As skills improve the speed limit can be safely raised and we do.

Originally Posted by JBH
3. Run groups are developed both on the basis of experience and horsepower. Large differentials in speed creates a dangerous driving environment. For example, Red: high hp + high experience; Black: low hp + high experience; White: high hp + intermed experience; Blue: low hp + intermed. experience; Green: all hp + beginners/novices with speed limits. It's not perfect, but something like that.
I strongly disagree. Run groups should be divided based on competence and experience. Note that higher speeds tend to follow suit. One of the most important criteria is traffic management. If a driver cannot handle significant speed differentials, then he isn't looking far enough ahead and deserves to be put back into a lower run group. Our red group has a couple of monster cars which LAP well driven GT3's in a 20 minute session. No problems whatsoever. I expect , no, demand that a driver being promoted to a higher run group be able to manage traffic, slower, faster and anywhere in between.

Originally Posted by JBH
4. Limit the size of run groups. This is driver's education and people need to have the opportunity to work on their line, braking and shifting without constantly trying to pass someone ahead or being forced to point by those behind.
Strongly agree and we do this. Run groups are smallest for novices and increase from there. The red (instructor) group can be twice as large as the novice group with no issues at all.

Originally Posted by JBH
5. Drivers ed should include not only instruction on driving, but also car preparation, inspection and maintenance - at least as a small segment of the classroom sessions.
I think this is a good idea. Some will benefit some won't. Worth doing. Thanks for the suggestion. We do this now in print via our monthly region magazine.

Penguinking - I strongly disagree with your comment about classroom sessions being superfluous. My personal experience is that drivers who have attended our ground school and are familiar with the basics learn more quickly. I can spend my time with them correcting errors, reinforcing aspects they are weak on etc. Some regions are now making "ground school" mandatory for DE.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Train the trainer!

do eveything possible to retain instructors, and cross train.

at most of the 'instructor days' there not much emphasis on existing instructors, and that could be improved.

-while most if not all instructors are good to great drivers, many need help in the communication area.... and thats easy to fix, with a round table type discussion on "what has worked for me", (lessons learned, etc) .

artifical limits are just a false sense of security.

it all comes down to split second decison making, understanding why a student is doing something wrong, and how to prevent a problem from occurring.

I'm not sure how much rules can really replace exerience.

(if you've never had the red mist, how can you recognize it, etc...)

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 05-26-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
do eveything possible to retain instructors
And most regions, including mine can start with one student per instructor - no exceptions. I get burned out after a couple of days with 2 students, and really have no time for myself to enjoy my driving. I think that this chases some racer/instructors totally away from DEs. It did for me 10 years ago, and if I didn't have kids running in DEs, I probably would re-commit almost totally to racing. I can't wait to get to the Glen club race and walk around the pits, shoot the breeze, race my car and relax!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
And most regions, including mine can start with one student per instructor - no exceptions. I get burned out after a couple of days with 2 students, and really have no time for myself to enjoy my driving. I think that this chases some racer/instructors totally away from DEs. It did for me 10 years ago, and if I didn't have kids running in DEs, I probably would re-commit almost totally to racing. I can't wait to get to the Glen club race and walk around the pits, shoot the breeze, race my car and relax!
Ditto that.

I had two students two days back to back last time at homestead and it was not fun. In one day I also had couple of guys in yellow group who asked me to sit in their car for one session (I was nice/stupid enough to say yes and will do it almost every time non student wants it, I have no problems with it normally and enjoy it but not when I already had two students) so I was at track almost all the time. Couldn't really even check properly the tyre pressures etc. and definitely there was no time to rest. It's too much and as you said, takes lot of the fun out of it.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:15 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Penguinking - I strongly disagree with your comment about classroom sessions being superfluous. My personal experience is that drivers who have attended our ground school and are familiar with the basics learn more quickly. I can spend my time with them correcting errors, reinforcing aspects they are weak on etc. Some regions are now making "ground school" mandatory for DE.
Bob - if you'll read back to my discussion with John, you'll see that i rephrased what i meant from my initial post. while some regions might have superb classroom instruction, i find that many of the regions i drive with could use better classroom structure. while alot of it comes down to lack of resources, i think that if DE's are going to have a classroom for green and blue students, then the advanced solo groups should also have a class. classroom's do great for green students, but i think there should be a class for more advance drivers.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:37 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Provide a full hour of track time to instructors at the end of the day (continued session for basically red). This would entice more instructors to offer instruction services while at DE's. It is not unusual to for an instructor to miss sessions while working with students. BMWCCA on West coast pays for instructor hotel, track fees, and some meal allowance, but loads them with 3 students a day. They cannot figure out why it is hard to get more instructors? DUH!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Penguin - I agree with class room sessions for ALL run groups and we do it in our region. The reaction has been positive since we can always learn new things. The classes for the upper run groups are different as you can imagine. One other thing we like to do (as long as I have enough instructors) is to "blitz" run groups.

Instructors jump into every single car and we run exercises - the most popular is the "no brakes" race. Drive as quick as you can but never touch the brakes. It teaches a ton about momentum, how much better balanced the car is without being upset by braking and how much faster you can enter a corner with a balanced car.

We are teach lower run groups how to enter corners off line. NO matter how much we stress passing zones, people will still give and (sadly) take late-late passes. We found that too many don't know what to do after they have passed and find themselves on the wrong side of the track. This is sort of like giving kids birth control

Best,
Old 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now those are some exercises i'd push for my region to add to the DE program
Old 05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I appreciate all the comments - I don't want to belabor some of the points, but we tend to look at students as either being beginners or advanced. It is that grey area in between when students start to go solo. So my first suggestion to require safety gear is directed toward that group (where the instructor is no longer in the car), though it is applicable to all groups not subject to a speed restriction on the track. Just because DOT doesn't require higher standards of safety equipment in higher hp cars, doesn't mean they are safe. When you stop to think about it, that's pretty crazy. I suppose they don't because people are supposed to obey the speed limits - the safety features of our street cars were designed for that range of speed. Obviously, we far exceed that on the track, so it's really not reasonable to think we can expect the same degree of protection.

DE is not racing, but it can still be very high speed. Perhaps I should rephrase my first suggestion and say I believe DE organizers should state that they highly recommends the use of rollbars, safety harnesses and H&N restraints for all cars exceeding XXX hp.

The suggestion for classroom sessions for intermediate and advanced drivers is a good one - the problem is scheduling. If instructors are not driving they are probably riding. Bob: how does your region organize advanced classes?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob,

That "no brakes" exercise sounds very good. Have to try to introduce that in our local club.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I strongly disagree. Run groups should be divided based on competence and experience. Note that higher speeds tend to follow suit. One of the most important criteria is traffic management. If a driver cannot handle significant speed differentials, then he isn't looking far enough ahead and deserves to be put back into a lower run group. Our red group has a couple of monster cars which LAP well driven GT3's in a 20 minute session. No problems whatsoever. I expect , no, demand that a driver being promoted to a higher run group be able to manage traffic, slower, faster and anywhere in between.
I would say that run groups should be experience and speed in the turns. Someone who has 20 years of driving epxerience, but is brutally slow has no place in red...yet we can all name people like this. The only reason they are there is ego. It's fine to be in a slow car, so long as the person is at least fast in the turns. There may be a few cars, like a 2.0L 914, that probably never belong in Red, as they are just too slow (except maybe at Lime Rock).

And anyone who is getting lapped in a GT3 at the Glen is just horrid. Even Bill Chadwick couldn't lap a decently driven GT3 in a 20 minute DE session.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:40 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a story about how strong brakes are not all that important...

This is my story from a National race at MAM earlier this year. I started on the front row and jumped out to the lead with another car in class on my tail. I opened up 3-4 seconds, only to lose it in traffic. I got another couple of seconds gap when my brakes started to go away. Very long pedal and pumping didn't change it much. Figured I must have a leak and was sucking in air somewhere in the front. I knew if the other car got close, he was going to kill me under braking and I could not hold him off. So I droe as hard as I could while braking early. I would test the brakes before each corner go give myself some margin if they were completely gone. This was about 1/3 of the way through the race. I kept pushing and pushing - I was running laps within ~1/2 second of my best with very weak brakes. If you brake early and less, you do not lose that much time.

(End of the story is that I managed top open enough gap that I could back off and take fewer risks. Held on for the win but there wasn't much in the way of brakes left. A caliper seal had torn and leaked a lot of air into the system - it was damaged on one side and I guess air could leak in but fluid was not leaking out beyond a few drops.)
Old 05-27-2006, 11:42 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I Agree, JBH;

I think you see that realization in the fairly new PCA National Program, in regions doing extended instruction for all groups, in "instructor raids" on intermediate and advanced run groups. All in an effort to further refine the system and not let learning languish.

I think it also needs to be stressed that open "instructor days" are for instructors to instruct EACHOTHER. I am right at the head of the line in NOT utilizing these days thusly. I have not had an instructor in the right seat in 10 years, and I am SORELY overdue for some advanced intuition and insight. I've reached the point where my ability to self-critique has become very limited, where it would be fairly easy for an outside observer to pick up on subconscious traits that are short-changing me of speed. I know I am not alone in this regard.

Any volunteers? Finn? You can't say no, eh?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Reporting Live from Brockville, Ont.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:01 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=RedlineMan]I Agree, JBH;
I have not had an instructor in the right seat in 10 years, and I am SORELY overdue for some advanced intuition and insight. I've reached the point where my ability to self-critique has become very limited, where it would be fairly easy for an outside observer to pick up on subconscious traits that are short-changing me of speed. I know I am not alone in this regard.

Get a datalogger. Seriously, it really helps. Use a GPS portable unit and move it to another car (or better yet, have them drive yours) of a faster driver and compare your results. Then have them ride in your car and narrate their line while you drive, switch and listen again, switch and apply. You will value their input after you are confident of their ability ie: data results, faster exit speeds, later braking, higher loading etc. We are very stubborn people and it is hard to accept the changes without complete acceptance.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Improving Driver's Ed