Sponsored by:

WHO RAN WITH CUPS AND SAUCERS

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Wait a minute. You are burning $6.50/gallon gas in a D class car? I run on pump gas. I thought the higher octane did not matter to our DME's. Although, you have a 91 Turbo and I don't know anything about those. (except that I may see it flying by at some track in the future).

BTW, I spent a cool $1,000 on gasoline towing to/from and racing at Road America last fall.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the event. We had great weather notwithstanding the forecasts.

For those who were unaware of the event, that's unfortunate as the event was posted on Dale's as well as the Hudson Valley Region's and Hudson Champlain Region's websites. I also posted it on rennlist about a month ago. Not to mention the blurb in Panorama in the upcoming events section.

As noted David Murry was the pro driver. Boris Said was also available, but we didn't have enough advanced sales of the pro driver slots to warrant inviting him. Please register early next year. The more pro slots we sell, the more pro drivers we will get. In previous years we've had as many as three pros at the event.

If there's anything you think we can do to improve the event, please let me know as I'm the track chair for Hudson Valley Region.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lou,

We love your event...don't ever change!

By the way, did you ever get a chance to drive?

Jason
Old 05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Wait a minute. You are burning $6.50/gallon gas in a D class car? I run on pump gas. I thought the higher octane did not matter to our DME's. Although, you have a 91 Turbo and I don't know anything about those. (except that I may see it flying by at some track in the future).
I normally run a 50/50 mix of 100/93 on cool days and straight 100 on hot days. It's just a safety measure. In the CIS turbos, the Air/Fuel mixture can't really be controlled very well. You typically have a very rich condition in the mid range (high 10s), and it leans out in the upper RPMs (low 13s). Running the high octane gives a little more insurance to help prevent any detonation, especially when it's hot. Is it totally necessary? Probably not, but it's realitively cheap insurance.

Now back to your regularly schedule programming...
Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lou D
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the event. We had great weather notwithstanding the forecasts.

For those who were unaware of the event, that's unfortunate as the event was posted on Dale's as well as the Hudson Valley Region's and Hudson Champlain Region's websites. I also posted it on rennlist about a month ago. Not to mention the blurb in Panorama in the upcoming events section.

As noted David Murry was the pro driver. Boris Said was also available, but we didn't have enough advanced sales of the pro driver slots to warrant inviting him. Please register early next year. The more pro slots we sell, the more pro drivers we will get. In previous years we've had as many as three pros at the event.

If there's anything you think we can do to improve the event, please let me know as I'm the track chair for Hudson Valley Region.
Lou
Does anyone have any photo's of the event?
Thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I will try to track down some pictures. (No pun intended).

I did get to drive. I was much faster after my session with David Murry. I let him drive my car for half an hour, and was quite humbled to learn that I have a long way to go to reach my car's true capabilites. It's amazing what late braking and early apexing can accomplish. I'm glad David was able to show me this in a safe manner even though we developed a familiarity with all of the track out rumble-strips during our session.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id like to join in... i had a GREAT time. Thank you to Lou and HCR-pca as well as HVR-pca.

Anychance we can do this thing 2x per year???? Its the best event ever.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We have asked for a second date at Watkins Glen and are hoping to get it for next year.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:57 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Some video from this event:

Chasing Scotto @ the Glen (65MB)

(right click and "save as")
Old 05-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great video Colin. It was tough to watch you drive for the first few laps (though you were driving well) as I was fixated on Scotto. It seems as though he turns in earlier as compared to my GT3 but runs a more gradual entry arc (read momentum). Power and weight could have a lot to do with that. It felt right driving my new car the same way at Pocono. I'll have a better idea at the Glen. One other item that was interesting is that he hits the brakes going into 5. I wonder if he is left foot braking? I only had a quick lift in my GT3. One thing that I did learn from following my friend in his GT3 is that I could close up in every turn under braking and corner entry, but he could pull me off the corners all day long. Driven correctly, few cars can put the power down as early and come off the corner as hard as a GT3.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:55 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

larry I do turn in early and trail brake as much as possible in long corners brake in 5 is normal for the corded tires I was running. I pulled up for the black flag in the laces for dropping a wheel, the tires were toast, (nylon). I drive the fronts for the first part of the corner and the rears out, i guess but have not really thought about much. i believe we are in the same group. Nice vid Colin! See you guys there!!!!!!! Bob
Old 05-29-2006, 12:02 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Any chance you guys could post some of the points Dave Murry made? I've been reading a bunch of these great threads lately and they are very good. Any pointers from a pro like Murry would be great....

Thanks

Don

F class 944S2
Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Nice vid Colin! See you guys there!!!!!!!
Yeah, now I just need you to run nylon rears all the time . I can hardly wait until the Glen...should be fun!

Originally Posted by 993944S2
Any chance you guys could post some of the points Dave Murry made? I've been reading a bunch of these great threads lately and they are very good. Any pointers from a pro like Murry would be great....
I'll tell you everything after the clash
Old 05-29-2006, 12:12 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Colin,

That's me in the red 968 watching the cup cars rattle my doors on the back straight.

Wednesday was the first dry test day for my F class 968 racer (I had tried in the rain on monday, but only got a few laps in before the track got too wet for the hoosiers).

I broke the clutch during my first run on Thursday morning (coasted off the track at the bottom of the esses and waited for a tow in) and got an early start home.

Presently I'm "wait listed" for WGI (no. 8), so I don't know whether I will actually get to race at the Glen in June. I'm hoping the event registrar will let me know one way or another, by the end of the week.

Ciao.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 PM
russ930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This group also runs an open event at the Glen. You can run the whole morning or afternoon without coming in if you can handle it. Advance drivers only, no run groups, no passing signals required and some really cool cars. http://www.kojotemotorsport.com/

Quick Reply: WHO RAN WITH CUPS AND SAUCERS