Sponsored by:

Blazing times at the LRP clubrace!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006 | 12:35 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
No, I think the scrutes cracked down this year given that the 3.8 wings were not used in the Carrera Cup or Supercup series. At first we thought it might be making a difference, but given Scotto's high 58 qualifying time on Saturday - I guess not!
I'll bet you see a difference at the Glen. Something tells me that those bad boys are going to be a little trickier up the esses and down the laces.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-01-2006 | 12:42 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
2954 according to the PCA rule book.

Richard
Ok it was probably just a typoe then, 2950, not 1950. Thanks, just amking sure someone did not have a tube framr Cayman or something
Old 05-01-2006 | 02:08 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I'll bet you see a difference at the Glen. Something tells me that those bad boys are going to be a little trickier up the esses and down the laces.
You maybe right, but then again the 964's tend to push a lot, so it may balance things out with the small rear spoiler. When I went from the small retractable spoiler to the RSA spoiler the difference I noticed was only very slight if any at all. With the RSA, it seemed a little easier to correct when the rear stepped out at high speed....maybe.
Old 05-01-2006 | 02:12 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
trickier up the esses maybe, can't be worse than on two wheels thru the dowm hill @ LRP, the laces no sweat, turn 10 is another animal but not slower, a 2:05 is likely in the cars. My Qualifing time @ lrp was taking the inside line while passing in west bend, so subtract sometime. Not bad for a glorified C2. scotto
Old 05-01-2006 | 08:35 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

"I haven't been to LRP, this year, and I'm curious to know if the changes over the winter have made the course faster, or if the cars are actually faster. Anyone care to comment?"

It was all of the paving and track improvements that were made over the winter...
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:06 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
"I haven't been to LRP, this year, and I'm curious to know if the changes over the winter have made the course faster, or if the cars are actually faster. Anyone care to comment?"

It was all of the paving and track improvements that were made over the winter...
Sure, if you drive off the normal track surface you can go faster now.
I see no track improvement on the line, it's bumpier than ever.
Entering Big Bend, we can't brake hard from the left in a cup car, as the car violently jumps out of control. I tried once and had to take the escape route. We need to brake gently, not too close to the left, at an angle towards the apex.
Braking for the uphill is worse than ever, also can't brake from the left edge of the track. Downhill turn, as Bob said, is pretty nasty but if you are lucky there are a few lines where you can keep 3 or 4 wheels on the ground.

In recent years, we had so much rain that people had not been able to get dialed in for fast times. Also every year the cars, tires, and drivers are incrementally faster. All added up to fallen lap times in many classes.
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:21 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
trickier up the esses maybe, can't be worse than on two wheels thru the dowm hill @ LRP, the laces no sweat, turn 10 is another animal but not slower, a 2:05 is likely in the cars.
It'll be interesting to see a Euro cup run in the 2:05s. If anyone can do that, you can.
I can't wait to see what my car can do. I will be ecstatic with anything around 2:09.
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:21 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Jon,

Great question. I don't think it's the track surface. I've only been on the track at LRP once this season, on 3/30, and instructed only (didn't actually drive a lap), but I didn't see any changes to the track's surface. The dip at the apex of the driving turn is still there, etc.

One change that would serve to SLOW traffic is moving the entrance to the pit lane back, (to lengthen pit lane for the pro race teams), closer to that last turn, so that drivers intending to pit-in really have to back off & signal their intentions to leave the track before the bridge on the downhill and must stay inside into and through the last turn.

As for last weekend's times, one very favorable factor I would cite was the absolutely PERFECT weather for road racing. The sun worked to keep the asphalt warm so there was good traction, but the ambient temps remained in the mid-60's to low 70's, (cooler in the a.m.) thus vehicle operating temps weren't a problem.

Like to hear some of the racers' thoughts.

Richard
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:38 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Hi Mike, I was looking for you at the Farnbarcher tent over the weekend to say Hi, but always missed you. My comments about the track should have been read with sarcasim.
Old 05-01-2006 | 10:47 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Default analog rocks

Great show Mike. I was in the tower observation stand for the start of sprint race, along with Loles brass. Your move was gold, the looks on their faces,... priceless. Great steady charge forward in the enduro. Not bad for a backup car!

Alan

Originally Posted by analogmike
Sure, if you drive off the normal track surface you can go faster now.
I see no track improvement on the line, it's bumpier than ever.
Entering Big Bend, we can't brake hard from the left in a cup car, as the car violently jumps out of control. I tried once and had to take the escape route. We need to brake gently, not too close to the left, at an angle towards the apex.
Braking for the uphill is worse than ever, also can't brake from the left edge of the track. Downhill turn, as Bob said, is pretty nasty but if you are lucky there are a few lines where you can keep 3 or 4 wheels on the ground.

In recent years, we had so much rain that people had not been able to get dialed in for fast times. Also every year the cars, tires, and drivers are incrementally faster. All added up to fallen lap times in many classes.
Old 05-01-2006 | 12:07 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Jon,

Great question. I don't think it's the track surface. I've only been on the track at LRP once this season, on 3/30, and instructed only (didn't actually drive a lap), but I didn't see any changes to the track's surface. The dip at the apex of the driving turn is still there, etc.

One change that would serve to SLOW traffic is moving the entrance to the pit lane back, (to lengthen pit lane for the pro race teams), closer to that last turn, so that drivers intending to pit-in really have to back off & signal their intentions to leave the track before the bridge on the downhill and must stay inside into and through the last turn.

As for last weekend's times, one very favorable factor I would cite was the absolutely PERFECT weather for road racing. The sun worked to keep the asphalt warm so there was good traction, but the ambient temps remained in the mid-60's to low 70's, (cooler in the a.m.) thus vehicle operating temps weren't a problem.

Like to hear some of the racers' thoughts.

Richard
First, the weather was virtually ideal for fast times... I set my personal best time with a set of two year old tires with about 25+ heat cycles on them.

Second, the tires are alot better than the last dry race... SO4s vs R6, and alot more peoplke on slicks... so some increase is expected.

Third, the level of car prep and driving just keeps getting higher... especially that the front of the pack...

My only complaint was that the schedule was too ambitions... the Sprint races were cut really short... there should be at least 40 minutes scheduled to allow for the inevitable yellow flag/pace car condition.

The fourth practice session Friday morning was really unnecessary. Had they moved Qualifying to the morning, that would have freed-up more time for the sprints.

On the whole though, the organizers and volunteers did a great job, and it was a spectacular weekend.... thanks to everyone for their hard work
Old 05-01-2006 | 01:00 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey wrote :
> Mike, I was looking for you at the Farnbarcher tent over the weekend to
> say Hi, but always missed you. My comments about the track should have
> taken read with sarcasm.

I thought so, sorry I missed you.

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
Great show Mike. I was in the tower observation stand for the start of sprint race, along with Loles brass. Your move was gold, the looks on their faces,... priceless. Great steady charge forward in the enduro. Not bad for a backup car!
Alan
A GT3 cup is no 210HP E car, but as I like to say, it doesn't suck!!!

Glad you enjoyed the race.

>> One change that would serve to SLOW traffic is moving the entrance to the pit lane back, (to lengthen pit lane for the pro race teams), closer to that last turn, so that drivers intending to pit-in really have to back off & signal their intentions to leave the track before the bridge on the downhill and must stay inside into and through the last turn. <<

DOH!!!! Sorry about that move, Roy Chong!!! I could use a new rear bumper, but I dont want to NEED one.
Old 05-01-2006 | 01:34 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Geoffrey,
It's sad, but I didn't even need the clarification of your first post. Just reaffirms what I expected from the track. Looks like I won't be heading east for any events, this year.

Congrats to everyone on what sounds like a very successful event, and some awesome performances.
-Jon
Old 05-01-2006 | 02:56 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
...a 2:05 is likely in the cars.
Bob, the car is capable of a low to mid 2:04 under perfect conditions at the Glen. I have been telling you this since day one when you were doing 2:10's. Back then you told me that was all the car had in it.

When you guys do your 2:04's, then we can sit back and say OK, that's all she has.

Old 05-01-2006 | 03:01 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC in NY
Bob, the car is capable of a low to mid 2:04 under perfect conditions at the Glen. I have been telling you this since day one when you were doing 2:10's. Back then you told me that was all the car had in it.

When you guys do your 2:04's, then we can sit back and say OK, that's all she has.

JC, what do you base the 2:04 prediction on?

Quick Reply: Blazing times at the LRP clubrace!!