Old 04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Excuse my ignorance, but why does it sound like it is shifting?
In the case of the Renault video clip, it is

Modern dyno work includes gearbox shifting to simulate true engine loads. Drivetrain 'ringing' is another dynamic that can play a big role in component life. Think of the gbx input shaft and both drive shafts as a spring, or torsion bar. Each pulse, or firing of a cylinder winds-up the drivetrain with stored energy. So in effect, the drivetrain is a little behind the crankshaft, or out of sync, so to speak. This goes back and forth many times a second. Engine builders need to know what is going on behind the engine.

Since each track present a different type of engine loading or demand, data from the previous years race is downloaded into the engine dyno software. Data such as throttle position and gear selection traces. So, the engine on the dyno thinks its at that particular race track. Full race distance simulation is run on the latest spec engine (a test mule engine, not the actual race engine).

In the 90's, Honda used this type of dyno testing and devopment for their CART engine program. Honda, even back then, had a transient dyno that simulated chassis twisting loads into the engine, mostly for oval racing. This, along with some very talented teams and drivers, got them several championships.

It only takes money
Old 04-30-2006, 04:03 PM
fat cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the ear orgasm.cant wait for USGP this year,the first time i hear that noise every year it brings a tear to my eye.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:03 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My right leg jerked everytime that Renault dyno run engine shifted
Old 05-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Henriks 964
Instructor

COOL video!

Henrik

964 Carrera 2, 1990
Wimbledon Green
Old 05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fat cab
thanks for the ear orgasm.cant wait for USGP this year,the first time i hear that noise every year it brings a tear to my eye.
If you can, arrive at the USGP for Friday practice and Saturday sessions.
On Friday, head over the bridge to the infield, find a nice spot on the grass in the braking zone at the end of the infield section and enjoy the sights/sounds/getting covered in carbon brake dust. Pretty impressive stuff.
It's also nice to stand at the fence at the end of the front stretch in the braking zone before they turn into the infield section....you'll be amazed how deep they brake and quickly they decelerate.
A modern F1's car most amazing trait is its braking capability.
Enjoy the race
Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Here is another of the Cosworth at 20K
I like how it slows to an "idle" at around 9K!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
In the case of the Renault video clip, it is

Modern dyno work includes gearbox shifting to simulate true engine loads. Drivetrain 'ringing' is another dynamic that can play a big role in component life. Think of the gbx input shaft and both drive shafts as a spring, or torsion bar. Each pulse, or firing of a cylinder winds-up the drivetrain with stored energy. So in effect, the drivetrain is a little behind the crankshaft, or out of sync, so to speak. This goes back and forth many times a second. Engine builders need to know what is going on behind the engine.

Since each track present a different type of engine loading or demand, data from the previous years race is downloaded into the engine dyno software. Data such as throttle position and gear selection traces. So, the engine on the dyno thinks its at that particular race track. Full race distance simulation is run on the latest spec engine (a test mule engine, not the actual race engine).

In the 90's, Honda used this type of dyno testing and devopment for their CART engine program. Honda, even back then, had a transient dyno that simulated chassis twisting loads into the engine, mostly for oval racing. This, along with some very talented teams and drivers, got them several championships.

It only takes money
Awesome summary, thanks!
Old 05-01-2006, 05:11 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the case of this clip, they are testing the engine revs/life against predicted throttle inputs around Monza.

Quick Reply: Renault F1 engine/dyno video