The pointby :-(

That was prior to the 0.5L engine upgrade
Friggin hysterical...!
Old 04-28-2006 | 06:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by onasled
Friggin hysterical...!
I wasn't the only one complaining about that instructor! And yes, I said instructor, not student. I sent that video to the Chief driving instructor after the event.

After the engine upgrade, I have to pester those Z06's for a lap or so before they let me by
Old 04-28-2006 | 06:43 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Instructions for when you meet someone who has been clogging up the track in the pits.

1: Walk over to their car.
2: Open door.
3: Pull out mirror.
4: Hand mirror to owner.
5: Leave.

All this without saying a word.

Old 04-28-2006 | 06:59 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Courtesy is everyones responsibility! Not just the fast cars. To be honest I've been held up almost as many times by some momentum cars as I have by higher powered cars. Often theres been a lower powered car thats has decided that they simply MUST be faster in the corners than I am and that the only reason I'm behind them is that I have more power so they simply will not let me pass on the next straight. Perhaps this is because they've had trouble with others in the session. This has on occasion resulted in a close call as the momentum driver tries to push a little harder to stay in front and winds up going sideways. I'll admit partial responsibility as in those situations I feel compelled to prove to them that I'm their match in the twisties as well by drivng very close on in those situations.

As is always said, if theres a car filling up your mirrors its not there because God placed it there, its because the guy behind you is faster. Let 'em go, and wathc what they're doing. You might learn something. Manys the time, I've let guys go who came up behind me even after I was held up for a while so it wasn't clear who was quicker. If I'm faster, they'll remember that courtesy and let me go around them soon enough.

I remember a couple of years ago I went to VIR for the first time and there was a guy in a Civic who was wailing arond the course. He came up on my back and I immediately let him go. When we got to the back straight he waved me by and I lifted and waved it off. I followed him around for the rest of the session waving him off a number of times. At the end of the session I went over to his pit spot and thanked him for letting me follow him. I learned enough in that session from watching him that I only gave 4 passes the rest of the weekend.
Old 04-28-2006 | 07:11 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Don't you people have a horn in your car? (the noisy ones, not the chrome variety). Porsche horns are pretty loud.

Anyhow, if you have real flaggers, have them use the pointed blue at particular locations. Ignored pointed blue leads to black. Ignored black once means you miss the next session. Ignored black again means go home. Works well at the non-PCA DE's I've been at, it keeps the flaggers awake (always an issue at a PCA DE), and it teaches drivers to look at the flaggers.
Old 04-28-2006 | 07:14 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickdm
The point-by followed by a drag race is also a good one. We had one of those in a red session last year, I was watching from the parking area wondering why eight instructors were doing a lead-follow. I seem to remember that it led to some pretty animated conversations in the staging area afterwards.

rickdm
Rick, are you talking about when I blew my top?

In the instructor group, I caught this a$$hole in Boxter S, he's trying to hang on to the cars infront of him. I'm on his tail for a whole lap, nothing. The next lap, he almost loses it in front of me, no signal (I'm still right on his bumper). Finally on the third lap, I get a point by from the a$$hole, doesn't lift and drags me into the turn. Then I get this hand gesture like "what happened?". Of course, I'm still calm, somewhat. Ok, this is the fifth lap behind him, he gives the point by again in the same straight, doesn't lift again, drags me to the turn and gives the hand gesture of "what happened?". By now, I'm on the verge of losing it, so I pit. Yes, I pit. As I pull in I tell the grid marshal of the incident.

So after my session with my student, I talk to the grid marshal. He says that the a$$hole said he lifted and didn't know why I didn't take the pass. Well, I'm only more livid at this point. So, I decide to go talk to him. The first thing he says is "shake my hand". WTF?? So, I say NO. I ask him he didn't lift. He insists that he did and proceeds to ask how much hp my car makes. That's when I lost in (at grid). Started my screaming and yelling at the guy (f words were flying).

So, now that I got that off my chest, what does it show? There is always going to be that person, in every run group, that doesn't realize how to play the game. I still believe he does not think he did anything wrong. Remember, this is an instructor. I guess the certification is kind of meaningless.

I guess I find it more embarrassing for someone that tries to stay in front of you than those that give the point by too early. It's kind of like rubbing it in. I always give mine as soon as I think they are even catching me.

Will I see you this weekend Rick?

George
Old 04-28-2006 | 07:46 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by rickdm
The ones that really chap me are when the student has an instructor with him and you still can't get a point by. I keep thinking 'what is this instructor teaching him?' More than once I have had an instructor running in the yellow run group (with flashing lights) refuse to give me a point-by.
Holy cats!

That's an instructor that needs to no longer be an instructor.
Old 04-28-2006 | 07:57 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Sorry guys. I was driving the CobraCorvetteBoxterImpalamobile....

Just kidding.

I always try to watch my mirrors and when I go around big turns like oak tree, turn 2-3 at VIR, etc. I try to look back over the track and see who's further back for future reference. I have no problem letting someone by because I like to try hanging and learning from them.

Other times, I've crept up on a car, that has given me a signal to pass that I've waved off. If I had to work that hard to catch up to them over many laps, chances are I'm not going to pull away from them. It's fun to run with somebody sometimes. And vice-versa.
Old 04-28-2006 | 08:56 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Yes, I agree that point-by hesitation to a "lesser car" happens more often in the slower run groups. Last year, I took my wife's 987S out in a slower run group, because I felt did not yet know enough about the car to run with my regular group. Turns out the car was so easy to drive fast, I was catching everyone. 911's were not bad. There was a 'vette and a Caddy that would happily let me ride their back bumper through all the turns simply because they could run away at the straights. It did not matter that I would catch them at the very next braking zone . Needless to say, I requested a run group upgrade.

This last weekend at Mid-Ohio, though, something different happened to me. So, here I was in the essentially stock C4S in the advance and instructor open lapping day, running with a few dedicated track cars and outright race cars. I was happily holding my own, passing several, passed by several. I later started to notice that some of the race cars would intentionally let me catch up, give me the point by, they try to stick to my bumper. Not trying to imtimidate me , but just have fun with me. I would succeed in running away from a few, a few I would surrender and give them a point by after one or two laps. It was fun, actually.
Old 04-28-2006 | 09:52 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Look;

I live in the real world too. I know there are those that get it, and those that don't. We all deal with them.

I have a simple rule: If there is a car in my mirrors, I give a signal. I see it as my duty to my friend back there, even if I don't know them. In my world, that usually means a much faster CAR has caught me. Sometimes it is a faster DRIVER. Sometimes both. Whatever.

For that courtesy, I feel that the person behind me must be equally honor-bound to take the pass only if he feels he has earned it. He should wave it off if he knows that I am in a line that is getting slowed by someone else, or is someone I passed in a tighter section (a slower driver) who catches me on the straights (a faster car). If that car is only faster on straights, but slows me in the corners, I feel it is their duty to wave off the singal I will give, and give up a straight to allow me to gap them, which I will. If I cannot gap them, I will give them a signal and let them by. This is courtious driving, not rocket science.

Corners are where the driving is done, after all. Straights are just freeways. Anybody can get a license to drive there.
Old 04-28-2006 | 09:55 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim;

The thing to do with that guy was completely go to the right side of the track entering 6. If he is aware, he might think you are dive bombing him on the inside, get nervous, and back right out of it.

Of course, if that doesn't work, you DO dive bomb him!!! He did give you a signal after all.
Old 04-28-2006 | 10:53 PM
rickdm
Racer

"Rick, are you talking about when I blew my top?"

Yes, George I guess that was you, wasn't it? I always think of you as such a laid back kinda guy that I must have forgotten

I will be out there this weekend, though I am praying that the rain will hold off. Just remember though, this letting a Mini pass only applies during DE's, don't feel obligated to do that in a race. I'll be cheering for you out there.

rickdm
Old 04-29-2006 | 02:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

that was some good lapping. you cant expect that vet to pull over and give you the red carpet. you either have to be much faster a lap than him, as then you can get him in the curves like the Mini video. that BMW had no problem getting around him

I wouldnt get to upset in those situations. it makes for good video too!! plus, you learn to find weakness in higher hp/weight cars that pay dividends if you ever start racing.

Mk

Originally Posted by Lemming
My favorite is the point by and drag, resulting in a no pass situation

The pointby :-(

That was prior to the 0.5L engine upgrade
Old 04-29-2006 | 03:08 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

thats some good lapping too. I would say, the cars in question are doing nothing wrong. I think that you really have to be filling someones mirrors for them to be obligated to point you buy. usually, they are probaby thinking "hey, im holding him off, and im winning the race!" at some point, they give up and let you by. a nice wave is in order after every point by.

as was said, its DE, not racing. if you want racing experience, use these battles to find weakness and take advantage of off line strategy and control. if you dont like it. pull over in the pits and rejoin the session. as luck would have it, you will probably end up alone and thats no fun!

MK

Originally Posted by Lemming
I wasn't the only one complaining about that instructor! And yes, I said instructor, not student. I sent that video to the Chief driving instructor after the event.

After the engine upgrade, I have to pester those Z06's for a lap or so before they let me by
Old 04-29-2006 | 04:09 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sweanders
Instructions for when you meet someone who has been clogging up the track in the pits.

1: Walk over to their car.
2: Open door.
3: Pull out mirror.
4: Hand mirror to owner.
5: Leave.

All this without saying a word.

now this is just priceless!

I'm not sure I'd have the guts to do this though..

because a) I'm usually the only female mixed in with a bunch of male ego's
b) I'd be afraid I'd get beat up by some big burly guy
c) All of the above

...and finally...

I'm still skiddish about doing what several of the guys have told me would be a hoot (...and put on a bumper sticker on the back of my wing so that when it's raised up, it says: "you've just been passed by a girl")

But anyway..

Usually the higher levels are NOT as much ego's at most events (with the exception of some of the chicago region events and the big money ego's -- you know, the guys with all the $$ to get amazing race cars but too much of an ego to learn how to drive it properly)

Quick Reply: The psychology of getting a point-by