Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Mid Ohio track notes (944 specific)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Looking for Mid Ohio track notes (944 specific)

Greetings,
I have a NASA race next weekend and have only driven MO once about 3 years ago in the wet. I know there is a new surface but I am wondering if anyone has turn by turn track notes for the fast way around the track.
If you perfer not to post publicly, please e mail me at eecyranski@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:53 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mid Ohio School has a really great dvd that comes with their school. I would guess that they will sell you a copy if you contact them directly. From pictures, it looks like corners 2-5 may be different with the repaving, and the penalty for an off on 1 may be bigger. I'd share my track notes but I doubt that they would be usefull to you. Good luck
Old 04-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Eric, here is a link where you can purchase the video mentioned above.

http://www.midohio.com/school/prodde...?prod=43546725

This video is far better than any set of track notes you'll find. However, note that the video and any notes written before this month are partially obsolete due to the resurfacing. In the past you were able to use the concrete patches to navigate your way around the course, and the video focusses heavily on them. Any notes you'll find will do likewise. The concrete patches are all gone now, and so is some of the home track advantage that the locals possessed.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Jim,
Of course your just trying to make me feel better about you "home field advantage" I will see if I can get the vid in time for the race. Are you going to be there on Friday for test and tune? Looks like we have a nice field for GTS
Old 04-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I'll be there Friday. See you there!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric....give me a ring on cell.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:08 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eric,

The Mid Ohio School DVD is the best source, but here are some quick pointers (assuming this has not changed with re-surface)...

Front straight moves to the right in the last section prior to T1. You need to steer right a bit to use all of the track at entry.
T1 is slightly more than 90 degrees. Because of that you need what appears to be a very late apex. In reality, it is the halfway point.
T2 should be flat. T3 (the fist of the left handers of the chicane portion of the keyhole) should miss the apex by 1/2 car width. This sets you up for T4, the second half. This is very fast.
Keyhole - entry is uphill so you can go very deep. Let the braking carry you almost a car width off the inner curb. Look at the corner from the road outside the track to see how extreme the drop is - you don't really sense this in the car. Just past mid corner, you want to breath the throttle to rotate the car. This corner induces huge understeer - especially if you get greedy with the right pedal.
BTW - Mid-Ohio favors a very tail happy setup for most cars. An SRF Mid Ohio setup that is fast is almost undrivable at other tracks.
T7 - right hander after the back straight - let the car track all the way out. Come back for T8 only as far as you can.
T8 has a crest that limits the speed over it - a great line here does not help so throw this corner away to take T7 as fast as you can.
T9 also induces a lot of understeer. You will probably find that you need an early turn in, but with slow hands. I find that left foot braking also helps with this corner.
T10 is pretty conventional but some cars can not take it flat unless you give up a bit of track out from T9. If that is the case, I suggest giving up a bit in T9 to stay flat through T10a.
As you do the esses (T10 series) hit the apex on the sharp left hander. Hit the apex on the next left hander and miss the right hand apex by about 1/2 car width to set up T11 entry.
T11 entry will have cornering load in the car under hard braking (that is why you want to be wide at that previous apex). Sharp braking for a corner that is much faster than it looks.

T11 separates the winners from also rans at MO. It is an increasing radius so if you are really fast here, the car will be sliding and somewhat out of control from turn in to apex. Then the corner opens up a bit and the car hooks up. The exit is blind and the signs that used to be the reference are gone. Look at the tree line for the old-old reference - a dip in the tree line. From the apex, aim for that dip and you should be golden to make the exit. You can gain decent time here, but it is a high risk corner so be smart about pushing it.
T13 is the sister to T1 except that it is less than 90 degrees so take a visually early apex.
Pay attention to the straight and turn in point - this may or may not be the same. The was a series of slight hills and level spots at the T13 turn in area. The 'correct' turn in point was just as the car transitioned from uphill to level and the front tires had little grip. If it is still the same, then the car is going to push and you need to turn early, again with slow hands. Use all the exit and this is a fast corner.
Approach to T14 has a hump in the braking zone. Brake hard into the face of that little hill, ease off the brakes as you crest and finish braking as the car settles again. T14 apex is a zone, not a point. A high grip/HP car (low HP, DSR, FA, etc) releases early and can still take T15 flat. Low Grip/HP (GT-1, high hp street cars, etc) hold the apex for a late release so you do not have to lift for T15.

Those are my pointers for running under 1:30 at Mid Ohio
Here is the mental chatter:

T1 - OMG I am going too fast and am going into the kitty litter.
I can't believe I made it.
T3-4 - OMG I didn't brake enough. I am going around.
I can't believe I made it.
Keyhole - OMG I am entering too fast.
WOW - I made it, now the car is pushing. I wonder if I can stay out of the farm field?
T7 - OMG I went too deep and am never going to have any track at exit.
I can't believe I kept the outside tires halfway on the pavement.
T8 - OMG - too fast - the tail is gone over this hill.
I can't belive I made it.
T9 - This POS Car pushes like a pig.
I am going to make this thing drive.
T10 - YEE HAR - This is fun.
T11 - Sheesh, not even at the apex and I am already all screwed up.
OMG, here comes the hill. I wonder if I can avoid those walls one more time?
T13 - Waaaay too fast - I am going agricultural.
How in the world did I make it.
T14 - Roller coaster time.
Fight the push and get on the gas.

Have fun. If you can't tell, Mid Ohio is my favorite.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:38 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Eric

Will the car that's about to pass you in your avatar be at Mid O?

(Great track notes, Mark, please do not give Eric track notes for Gingerman, Road America, Putnam...)
Old 04-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

You too, Jim and Rick...
Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There will be alot of re-learning for MO. The changes are subtle but they are significant to how you drive the track. Many points of reference are gone and most turn-in points are different.

Mike
Old 04-14-2006, 11:46 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
There will be alot of re-learning for MO. The changes are subtle but they are significant to how you drive the track. Many points of reference are gone and most turn-in points are different.

Mike
Could you share some of the details about what has changed. Clearly many references are gone but why have so many turn in points changed? (I understand how the odd ones like T13 could be different, but what would make T1 or T7 have different turn ins?) Come on, we want details for those of us that won't make it there for a while.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2006, 12:43 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

First off I don't have a lot of days at MO but here is what seems different to me:
Everything is smooth with a distinct lack of references
The Keyhole has more positive camber with the dip at the turn in point now gone.
#7 is more "banked" than before.
Top of madness lacks the "bump" at the top as you crest
Inside curbing is very tall and you won't want to drive on it
#12 lacks the "bump" and is very smooth
Carrosel lacks the dip that i used to help rotate the car.

I walked the track this afternoon and will have tomorrow to do some more learning.

Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for Mid Ohio track notes (944 specific)