Trailer Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Trailer Tire Rack

Has anyone built their own tire rack for an enclosed trailer? Another Rennlister mentioned he's building one out of 2x4s. Of course, it won't hang, but will be secured on the deck.

Any suggestions (plans) would be appreciated. I just bought an enclosed trailer, and since there's some threat of rain at this weekend's PCA school at Buttonwillow, I'm in quick need of a rack to carry spare tires/wheels.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the wire mesh shelving from Costco. It is perfect. Cut the cross-members out of two of the shelves, leaving only the outside frame and the middle two bars. The middle bars hold the frame together when you put the tires on it. With the cross-members removed, the tires sit low enough in the frames that you do not need to secure them to the shelving. Leave the wheels on each of the legs and you can use the whole deal to run back and forth to the tire support guys or your car w/o having to lug them. The 48" shelving fits 4 - 275 width tires.

I secure it to the trailer with thin ratchet tie-down straps. I locate it in the front of the trailer, width-wise. I also have a stationary rack (no wheels) that sits next to the tire rack. Tight fit, but it works for me.

Whole deal holds two sets for $80.00.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:36 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm having problems visualizing the product you're talking about. Is this shelving that hangs on a wall, or some kind of roll-around cart? Any chance you can post a pic?

Thanks

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 04-10-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I can get some pics but try the container store web site. Look up their metro shelving. Identical to costco. Costco has 4 4ft poles, 6 4ft wide shelves, 4 wheels and fronts edges for the shelves.

You'll are what I mean when you are the shelves.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:28 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. The "Pantry Shelves?"

This from the Costco site:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...v=&browse=&s=1
Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

try pitproducts.com. I bought an 8 foot one for a reasonable price and installed it saturday. Looks good if I must say so myself
Old 04-10-2006, 09:54 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've seen the ones at different sites, but, unfortunately, I'm looking for very quick delivery without paying with my right foot, which I need for the track event this weekend. Even the local trailer lots can't get me one before next week.

Here in CA we've been having abnormally wet weather, and there's a chance of showers this weekend. Hadn't plannned on it, but now want to take my street MPSs along for the ride in case it gets too wet for my Hoosiers.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Thats the shelving, but locally it is $80.00. Cut out the bars and you'll have your tire rack. Just don't forget to leave the middle two to hold the frame together or you can string some aircraft cable between.

Those that you posted are 60" across and have 5 shelves. Mine is 6 shelves and 4' across, easier to move around and you have room for two side by side in the trailer.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 AM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I've seen the ones at different sites, but, unfortunately, I'm looking for very quick delivery without paying with my right foot, which I need for the track event this weekend. Even the local trailer lots can't get me one before next week.

Here in CA we've been having abnormally wet weather, and there's a chance of showers this weekend. Hadn't plannned on it, but now want to take my street MPSs along for the ride in case it gets too wet for my Hoosiers.
Just stack the wheels on the floor and use a tie down from the floor and mount a loop hook on on the wall up high. Run the tie down strap through the wheels and you are set. No need for tire racks and it will just take the space of a tire diameter striaght up to the hieght of four wheels. I do this with two sets and have a set on the car for rains. Much cheaper and more practical than most other solutions.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

A solution I used was installing E-track (trade name-google for resellers) on the trailer walls then running shoring beams perpendicular between the two. The great thing about this is that you have adjustability for different tire size, you can add beams to increase the number of tires being hauled and you can completely remove the beams and still have a functional open trailer. Lightweight, quick and proven technology (trucking industry) A friend of mine did this in his large (semi) hauler and I applied the same concept to my much smaller box.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great, inexpensive ideas. Thanks
Old 04-11-2006, 11:10 AM
DaMan-993TT
Advanced

Here you go, this is what my buddy did.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tire Rack