Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 06:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

new oem rotors, maybe zimmerman.
pagid orange or mintex

brake harder for less time

you should be good to go. those are small pads, but i actually raced a 928 '79 with the same size mitex pads and slotted rotors and it worked well. not great, but good.

stock pads and some old rotors, wont do the trick, as you have seen.
MK
Old 03-23-2006, 06:25 PM
CCCP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the insight guys. Today I ordered zimmerman unslotted / undrilled rotors and KFP gold pads from paragon. Only concern now is wherther or not my calipers are sticking some.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
brake harder for less time
This is one of the many counter-intuitive insights I have learned from the track. It makes complete sense once it is explained to you, but most would never guess this.

FWIW, I understand that reverse braking is also brutal on your brakes.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCCP
Thanks for all the insight guys. Today I ordered zimmerman unslotted / undrilled rotors and KFP gold pads from paragon. Only concern now is wherther or not my calipers are sticking some.
I would stick with the OEM rotors. From what I understand, they are built to higher standards than Zimmerman, even though Zimmerman actually makes the Porsche rotors.

-Z.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I dont know, but ive put about 10 sets of zimmermans through some of the toughest conditions and they have worked incredibly well. 7 WC races, 100club race, etc. Zimmermans sure look great, right up to the point where they start to show cracking. but keep i mind, ill dust a set of pagid oranges in a couple of weekends with only 2 races and 2 each quals.

I think the pads are key two, and cooling, as well as driving style. I think you really need the slotted rotors if you are doing some track events.. drilled work too, but they crack earlier if you are really punishing them.

i used mintex for more street use, and pagid oranges for the racing. but, they are awesome on the street. rarely do they squeal, unless they get real real hot.

Mk

Originally Posted by Z-man
I would stick with the OEM rotors. From what I understand, they are built to higher standards than Zimmerman, even though Zimmerman actually makes the Porsche rotors.

-Z.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I would run zimmerman rotors from paragon and I like the performance friction 097 pads that I use on my 968. They have been great.

Mike
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Otto Zimmermann Gmbh ARE NOT an OE brake disc supplier to Porsche. SHW Automotive has had an exclusive contract with PAG since 1996 and before that the supplier was ATE (since the 356 days) and Brembo. What is most likely the situation is that some aftermarket parts supplier took Zimmermann's adcopy "OEM Compatible" and assumed they were the supplier. If Zimmermann ever was an OE supplier to Porsche it was in the eighties, if at all.

Originally Posted by Oddjob
the Porsche rotors are made to a higher casting/material spec than the aftermarket Zimmerman (even if the OE Rotors are made by Zimmerman).
The Porsche discs are made from a cast-iron alloy called Luperlit.

Bonus points to anyone that can tell me the name of the aluminum alloy that the G50.05 transmission is cast in.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 03-24-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Nope cant answer that, but to add to the Porsche OE vs Zimmerman discussion:

Several years ago, I bought a set of 928S4 rotors (for my 944TS) from an aftermarket supplier; when they showed up, one was a Zimmerman rotor, the other was Porsche OE. Used the car for DEs, and the Zimmerman rotor stress/heat cracked much sooner and much more severe than the Porsche rotor. By the time the Zimmerman cracked thru, the Porsche rotor was still in ok condition and had a lot of life left. Very literal side by side test. Spoke to Bill Groschen (of Diversified Cryogenics) at the time, and he also agreed that they had found that Porsche rotors were a higher quality than the Zimmerman rotors.

I have not used Zimmermans since then (this was about 7-8 years ago), so I cannot say if the current made Zimmermans are any different with respect to current made Porsche rotors.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Otto Zimmermann Gmbh ARE NOT an OE brake disc supplier to Porsche. SHW Automotive has had an exclusive contract with PAG since 1996 and before that the supplier was ATE (since the 356 days) and Brembo. What is most likely the situation is that some aftermarket parts supplier took Zimmermann's adcopy "OEM Compatible" and assumed they were the supplier. If Zimmermann ever was an OE supplier to Porsche it was in the eighties, if at all.

The Porsche discs are made from a cast-iron alloy called Luperlit.

Bonus points to anyone that can tell me the name of the aluminum alloy that the G50.05 transmission is cast in.
Ok - I'll buy that. Either way, I still think the Porsche OEM rotors are the best ones out there for our cars. A few years back, I attended a DE at VIR, and the rotors were just below the recommended thickness. Did not have a problem with warping, cracking, brake fade whatsoever. I've also had my rotors last twice as long as my mechanic expected them to last, based on other rotor life he's seen in similar cars. Then again, brake management has a lot to do with that as well...

-Z.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also had my rotors last twice as long as my mechanic expected them to last, based on other rotor life he's seen in similar cars.
That's because you're slower than other "similar cars".

I can't believe your post has been up here for 8 hours and neither 38D nor Bull has responded.

- Jim, #177
Old 03-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951

I can't believe your post has been up here for 8 hours and neither 38D nor Bull has responded.

- Jim, #177
1. I'm busy.

2. I try to leave the layups for 38D...he needs the help!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jimbo951

- Jim, #177
Actually, if my rotors last twice as long, that must mean I'm using the brakes less.

Freakin' 944 turbo drivers....
-Z.

Quick Reply: Cooked brakes at track, need complete overhaul [PICS]