Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Boil after spin

Hey Gang:

This weekend I had a spin at Road Atlanta and I choked the car down, didn't get the clutch pressed in time.

So, I sat there trying to re-fire the car, and according to my friend who was there, I lost 50 seconds, so I must've sat there for 45 seconds.

After getting the car re-fired, I took off and my brake pedal was pretty much to the floor, very little pressure, even after pumping.

Is it common for the brake fluid to boil that easily in the calipers after a sudden stop like that? Since I try not to make it a common practice to spin, and choke the engine down, its the first time I've experienced that, and just wondered if it was common.

After coolng down, brake pressure came up. When I pulled it into the trailer about 30 minutes after the race, pedal was back up and pressure was pretty good, but not as good as normal. Obviously I'm going to bleed them out, but wanted to see if its common for the fluid to boil in a situation like that where the brakes are HOT, and then they suddenly stop, with no cooling being provided, or any airflow.

Using Motul 600.

Brian
Old 03-22-2006, 01:38 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get heat sink with really hot brakes and no air going over them. The heat has to go somewhere, so it goes into the calipers and fluid.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Heat soak. Very common.

Think about it...you're clamping down hard on red-hot rotors for 5-10x the period of time you normally do...without any airflow. Ouch.

Gotta remind yourself to keep your feet off the brakes for prolonged periods. "Red flag" ? Shut the car off as soon as you can, and just dump it in gear to keep it from rolling. On pit stops during enduros, it's critical to keep off the brakes or you'll cook the fluid or twist the rotors. Common scream during pit stops - "Get off the damn brakes !!!!"
Old 03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I wasn't on the brakes while stopped. I figured the fluid just sitting in those calipers is what boiled it.

It makes sense. Just something I hadn't thought about before.

Brian

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Boil after spin