Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the 12 Hours of Sebring? Stop by and say hello!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006 | 07:05 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Going to the 12 Hours of Sebring? Stop by and say hello!

If you're going to be at the race, please stop by the 3R Racing team's paddock and say hello. We're fielding three cars in the SPEED World Challenge Series this year, one in GT and two in Touring. We will be there on Tuesday for the promoter test day, Wednesday for practice, Thursday for qualifying, and Friday for the races. On Saturday we'll be watching part of the 12 Hours race.

Although we're not running Porsches this year, two of the drivers, Dan Aweida and I, have been involved in PCA Club Racing for the past few years. I'm driving a Viper Competition Coupe in GT and Dan is driving a SRT4 in Touring. Our third driver, Robb Holland, will be in a SVT Focus for the first couple of races this year while his SRT4 is being readied.

The Viper Competition Coupe and SRT4's aren't Porsches, but if you like race cars then I think you'll enjoy seeing these. Stop by the paddock and I'll show you some of the cars up close. Here's a shot of the Viper on a recent test day:

Whether you make the event or not, check out the SPEED World Challenge to see what is probably the most varied field in professional racing. In the GT series there are 11 Chevy Corvettes, 10 Dodge Vipers, 5 Porsche GT3s/Turbos, 2 Caddy CTS-VRs, 2 Aston Martin DBSR9s, 1 Volvo S60R, and 1 Nissan Skyline GT-R. In the Touring series there are Acuras, BMWS, Mazdas, Dodges, Volvos, and Audis. Despite there being a wide range of engine types, sizes, drivetrain layouts, and so on, the SWC does a good job of ensuring that the cars are competitive. The broadcast of the Sebring races are on Sunday, March 19th at 3 PM for Touring and 4 PM for GT, both times Eastern.

I hope to see some of you there!
Old 03-08-2006 | 07:08 PM
Benton
Drifting

Skip,
Do you know anything about the Kinetic Motorsports (KSSmotorsports.com) Ford GT that they were supposedly running in Speed GT? Good luck this year! How do you think you will fare?
Old 03-08-2006 | 07:41 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark,

I didn't know that the Kinetic Motorsports team was considering running the Ford GT, but I had heard that Mark LoPilato of Redline GT racing was thinking of it. Word is that they didn't feel that it was going to be ready for this year, so Mark will again be driving the 996 TT.

Thanks for the well wishes. The competition is very strong this year, and I'm up against several seasoned professionals and some very experienced rookies. I am driving the car that won the 2004 GT Championship and backed by one of the best teams, so it's up to me to learn to drive this car well and be competitive. My goals are to complete every race, drive as cleanly as possible, and have fun doing it!
Old 03-08-2006 | 11:53 PM
tlark
Drifting

At least you cannot be mistaken by the Caddilac boys as a Porsche and knocked off the track.

Porsche driver/car or not, it doesn't matter, good luck on this undertaking. I think a few will be watching you this year. I assume thats Archers former steed ? What was it that made you go the Viper route, torque & lessor restrictions imposed in the rules......
Old 03-09-2006 | 03:31 AM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red
Skip,
Do you know anything about the Kinetic Motorsports (KSSmotorsports.com) Ford GT that they were supposedly running in Speed GT? Good luck this year! How do you think you will fare?
Last I talked to them, there are no current plans to run the Ford GT this year in Speed GT.
Old 03-09-2006 | 12:47 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Great-looking car! I'm going down to Sebring Tuesday evening, and will be working various corners with Central Florida Region SCCA Wednesday-Saturday. I'll keep a close eye out for your car! Wave to your corner-workers--we're really putting in long days, especially Wednesday-Friday as many workers don't get in until Friday evening. Good luck with your drive!
Regards, Doug
Old 03-09-2006 | 01:07 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I was supposed to be there, but my doctor told me I couldnt go due to my back problems
Old 03-09-2006 | 02:33 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom, yes, that's the car that Tommy Archer drove to the championship in 2004. I got into the Viper mainly because that's what the team has been running for the last couple of years. It's also quite a bit less expensive when it comes to parts, repairs, etc.

So far only Andy Pilgrim is show on the entry list for Cadillac, and by most accounts he's one of the more polite drivers. There is another Caddy listed as TBA, so we'll see if that ends up being Max "the Ax".

Doug, I'll be waving for sure! I've never driven the track and don't know the corners yet, but let me know if you are going to be at certain ones.
Old 03-09-2006 | 03:01 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skip in Boulder
Doug, I'll be waving for sure! I've never driven the track and don't know the corners yet, but let me know if you are going to be at certain ones.
Doug,

What he said, if you know what corners you will be working let us know. We can wave from the inside of the track.

John
Old 03-09-2006 | 03:07 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Go Skip Go!! Best of luck with the new ride. Do you have a HWFM sticker on it yet??
Old 03-09-2006 | 09:48 PM
dmw44
Burning Brakes

Thanks Skip and John! Probably won't know corner assignments 'til 7am Wednesday at the worker's meeting. The Governor of the region who makes the assignments told me he may move me around to different corners wed-fri depending upon need. Don't know what corner I'll have for Saturday. John, I'll PM you with my cell phone # and perhaps we can make contact Saturday--have fun with the caravan!

Skip--You'll have a blast!! What a spectatular17-turn drive!! I'll try and catch up with you in the paddock.
Regards, Doug

Last edited by dmw44; 03-10-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2006 | 10:34 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Repeat after me there are 1 million lines through 17, none of them are correct . You will have a blast. I am planning on attending the 12 hours with PCA crowd. Have fun!
Old 03-10-2006 | 09:42 AM
jsabatini
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Repeat after me there are 1 million lines through 17, none of them are correct . You will have a blast. I am planning on attending the 12 hours with PCA crowd. Have fun!
I tell all my students that the right line through 17 is the line that keeps you off the wall.
Old 03-10-2006 | 02:51 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric, thanks. I don't have a HWFM sticker on the car yet, but if I still have one in my sticker pack from last year, I'll try to get it on there. It's my car, but I'm racing with the 3R team this year, and I'm not sure if they'll appreciate it or not...

I've been watching a number of videos, and so far no one seems to take turn 17 the same way. Some of the posters/readers on the list have sent me PMs with offers of advice, all of which I'm eager to get!
Old 03-14-2006 | 03:41 AM
thomas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob C.
Last I talked to them, there are no current plans to run the Ford GT this year in Speed GT.
"Mark LoPilato had planned on bringing the Ford GT into WCGT competition but he and his team have thought it best to develop the package this year and bring the GT into full competition in 2007.

LoPilato will instead run the US American Resources Porsche he raced in 2005 while the Ford GT is readied for primetime. LoPilato and his Redline Racing team have been making extensive modifications to make their twin turbo a more competitive package."

- http://www.theracesite.com/index.cfm..._article=11069

Quick Reply: Going to the 12 Hours of Sebring? Stop by and say hello!