Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's time to put up or shut up for Montoya ....

Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's time to put up or shut up for Montoya ....

Had an interesting chat today with someone close to the Montoya camp. She clearly expressed the ugency for JPM to win ...... NOW. Podium finishes will help, but when you look on the amazing Kimi drive ( again ), from DFL on the grid, you start to think maybe Schumi was right after all. He commented a couple of years ago on how Montoya's driving style was agressive , but not smart. And in the end of the day, how many championships can you win this way ? True. Granted, the car you drive and the team you are with are BIG factors.

At the end of his Williams tenor, he was getting a raw deal with little or no support from the Williams team. Sure, there was a chance to win a title there. But was not ment to be. And even though Ralph had a better car, Monty would still blow him away. Granted his attitude at times has been the worst of him. And yes, even alot of the Maclaren personal see this problem. How long can his friend Norbert Haug support him ?? Ron Dennis is not blind. And losing trust in JPM to get the job done. Sure Juan is pissed about Alonso going to Maclaren in 2007. But has proved nothing to secure him not leaving. Kimi is not happy either. Hell since last year. BUT, talk about proving your worth. Starting last yesterday and ending up third. I think Renault and Ferrari have alot to worry about if his car stays together. If it does, I see Kimi winning it all this year. He knows the task at hand. Where at times Juan does not.

I think the writing is on the wall for Juan. I see him ending his career similer to a good driver named Jean Alesi. Won his share of races, but never was the man.

With Juan, I hope we are wrong.

Theo
Old 03-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Theo:
Alesi won once in Formula One (1995 Canadian GP for Ferrari). I am a JPM fan, but you are right, he needs to make a serious run for a championship this year, or we will end up out at McLaren and finish out his career with a mid pack team.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:25 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

You are bang-on Theo, I think Montoya has reached that nadir where he either makes it, or doesn't. There was a time when many (including myself) thought he may have the talent to suceed Schumacher, but I'm sure that is not the case after all. There are a few of these stories on the grid this year. The Button/Barrichello match up is good this way too. Also on the block are Trulli, Ralf and Giancarlo.

All of the sudden F1 has moved on and the new generation is Kimi, Fernando and maybe some of the new guys just getting into F1 (or about to). There is a whole mini-generation of drivers (see the above list and add in Coulthard and maybe a few others) who have had their careers overshadowed by the Schumi juggernaut.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the world of Barrichello, but Button is faster. This season will prove that. Also, Fisichella is done. He had his chance to prove his meddle last year, and didn't do it. He was always touted as being one of the fastest, based upon his pre-F1 career, but he clearly is no match for Alonso. I am curious as to who is coming up next, besides Rosberg. There are probably going to be 3 or 4 top seats next year that need to be filled by up and coming drivers. This should be a great year.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amjf088
All of the sudden F1 has moved on and the new generation is Kimi, Fernando and maybe some of the new guys just getting into F1 (or about to). There is a whole mini-generation of drivers (see the above list and add in Coulthard and maybe a few others) who have had their careers overshadowed by the Schumi juggernaut.
Yep, Coulthard has had a good career, but not what it should have been. IMHO that's more due to his Mika Hakafurball than Scummie.

I know this won't go over well in certain circles, but I fully believe that if Coulthard hadn't gifted Mika Hakafurball his first win, he'd (Furball) never have amounted to much. Like so many drivers he was close, but couldn't deliver until Coulthard gifted him his first win, while Coulthard had already won with McLaren and would have been 2-0 had he not given the Furball his win. Heck, Furball might have gone down in history next to Alesi.

It's my opinion that Coulthard would have had the better of Hakafurball. As you can tell, I've never been much of a fan of Furball. Shoot, when Furball replaced Andretti to much fanfare, he didn't do any better and had as many offs and brain farts. But, it was all spun differently than Andretti.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

It looks to me like being a fast driver isn't nearly enough. All those guys are super fast. What it takes is some combination of intelligence, charisma, and motivation.
Alonso and Fisichella are probably equal in driving talent. It is all the other stuff where Alonso is superior. I think he commands the same kind of authority that Schumacher does.

George, I can't see how you can disparage Hakkinnen. He is still the ONLY guy who has beaten Schumacher in a straight fight. It looks like Alonso could possibly do it as well.

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 03-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
George, I can't see how you can disparage Hakkinnen. He is still the ONLY guy who has beaten Schumacher in a straight fight.
You mean besides a certain Canadian driver?

My point was that without that gift from Coulthard, I don't think he'd have ever found his way. He kept finding ways to not win.

I know he's a multi time world champion and of course tons better than I could ever hope to be. But I don't think he's quite the driver he's been made out to be. Just my opinion.

Other drivers have beaten Scummie in a straight fight, but just not consistently.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:58 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geo
You mean besides a certain Canadian driver?

My point was that without that gift from Coulthard, I don't think he'd have ever found his way. He kept finding ways to not win.

I know he's a multi time world champion and of course tons better than I could ever hope to be. But I don't think he's quite the driver he's been made out to be. Just my opinion.

Other drivers have beaten Scummie in a straight fight, but just not consistently.
Your certain Canadian driver had the absolute best car in 97 and still could not finish the deal until the last race, when your "Scummie " has the best package it is not a question when will he be crowned but with how many races to go will he be the mathematical winner...........and I don't have to remember you how the certain Canadian driver was passed like he was parked by "Scummie" in a inferior car(1996) in the rain in Portugal.
In regards to Coulthard, he had his chance in 01 when Hakkinen lost motivation, had the entire team behind him and still fell way short.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Your certain Canadian driver had the absolute best car in 97 and still could not finish the deal until the last race, when your "Scummie " has the best package it is not a question when will he be crowned but with how many races to go will he be the mathematical winner...........and I don't have to remember you how the certain Canadian driver was passed like he was parked by "Scummie" in a inferior car(1996) in the rain in Portugal.
I also remember how Jacques went around the OUTSIDE of Schumie during a 97 race (though I can't remember where). Schumie has all of the componants that Chris mentions above, speed, strategy, motivation, car setup (don't forget about that), and luck. There may not have been a contemporary quite in Schumie's league in the past (though Hakkenin did beat him twice, straight up) but Alonso and Raikkonen (luck aside) certainly look very very close. Montoya does not. He lacks discipline, character, and strategy.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Yep, Coulthard has had a good career, but not what it should have been. IMHO that's more due to his Mika Hakafurball than Scummie.

I know this won't go over well in certain circles, but I fully believe that if Coulthard hadn't gifted Mika Hakafurball his first win, he'd (Furball) never have amounted to much. Like so many drivers he was close, but couldn't deliver until Coulthard gifted him his first win, while Coulthard had already won with McLaren and would have been 2-0 had he not given the Furball his win. Heck, Furball might have gone down in history next to Alesi.

It's my opinion that Coulthard would have had the better of Hakafurball. As you can tell, I've never been much of a fan of Furball. Shoot, when Furball replaced Andretti to much fanfare, he didn't do any better and had as many offs and brain farts. But, it was all spun differently than Andretti.

George,

I don't have to vocabularity to write how much I disagree with that.

He came back from death (almost literally) and just getting back to the car was a huge achievemet but then moments like in Suzuka, his pass of Schumi at Spa (splitting Zonta) etc. etc. shows clearly how strong he was.

DC never had nothing on him, I mean, absolutely nothing.
Even that first win should've been Mika's since it was the team that screwed up.

Ask Schumi, Lauda or any big shot in F1 who really knows and they'll tell you what they think about Mika vs. DC. Maybe Martin Brundle (who also got beaten by Mika...) will say DC is better but that's it.

Except for now at Red Bull, DC has always had one of the best cars in F1, from the first race to the moment when he went to RB, yet he has never won a championship, he alwasy in the end got beat up by his team mate.
This is not to say he is a bad driver since he is fast but he truly is a loser and that's what counts.

And Theo, I totally agree with your JPM & Kimi comments.

Below is a memo from DC few years back...
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 AM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I think the world of Barrichello, but Button is faster. This season will prove that. Also, Fisichella is done. He had his chance to prove his meddle last year, and didn't do it. He was always touted as being one of the fastest, based upon his pre-F1 career, but he clearly is no match for Alonso. I am curious as to who is coming up next, besides Rosberg. There are probably going to be 3 or 4 top seats next year that need to be filled by up and coming drivers. This should be a great year.
The few times that I have met Rubin's , he has always had the right mind set to do well. But you can also see the reality in his eyes that he was Schumies " bitch ". And Ferrari's puppet. The only chance he had to leave was when Juan went to Williams. Which Rubin's was eying that seat. Sadly for him, he could not leave Ferrari which I think was the end for him right there.

I see the Kimi, Alonso, Roseberg and Button show to keep F-1 alive for the short term. The Ralf's, Giancarlos, Coulthards, and the other older dead weight will have to give way to the new blood sooner than later. How would F-1 pay the bills when you can only fill the grid with 20 cars or less. We do not need a repeat of the boring Ferrari dominance era when hardly anyone would watch or attend the races . Hopefully, Bernie and Max wont let that happen again.

Theo
Old 03-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
George,

I don't have to vocabularity to write how much I disagree with that.

He came back from death (almost literally) and just getting back to the car was a huge achievemet but then moments like in Suzuka, his pass of Schumi at Spa (splitting Zonta) etc. etc. shows clearly how strong he was.

DC never had nothing on him, I mean, absolutely nothing.
Even that first win should've been Mika's since it was the team that screwed up.

Ask Schumi, Lauda or any big shot in F1 who really knows and they'll tell you what they think about Mika vs. DC. Maybe Martin Brundle (who also got beaten by Mika...) will say DC is better but that's it.

Except for now at Red Bull, DC has always had one of the best cars in F1, from the first race to the moment when he went to RB, yet he has never won a championship, he alwasy in the end got beat up by his team mate.
This is not to say he is a bad driver since he is fast but he truly is a loser and that's what counts.

And Theo, I totally agree with your JPM & Kimi comments.

Below is a memo from DC few years back...
As I said, I knew some would not like it. I agree that DC has had chances and thrown them away. I will disagree that DC never had anything on Mika. DC walked onto the team and dominated Mika until he gifted Mika his first win. To Mika's credit he built on that and went on to become world champ twice, not an easy thing anytime, but especially in the Scummie era.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Z-man
Race Director

If McLaren can keep a motor together for a whole race - race after race, I think Kimi does have a shot at the championships this year. After being in Schumi's shadow for all these years, I think he's starting to outshine Mr. Ferrari.

Personally, I don't think Montoya has what it takes. Arrogance and aggressiveness only get you so far...

Regardless, it will be an interesting year.
-Z.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Geo
Race Director

I agree about Montoya. He came in with some incredible skills, but doesn't seem to have progressed like he should have. It truly must be hard to at that level. As much as I don't like Scummie, I highly respect his work ethic. He never stops working at being better while all too many at that level do.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

FF:
Mika's pass at SPA was one of the best moves I have ever seen. I wonder what went through Zonta's mind at the time.

Mika was a lot like Schumacher in his preperation and how he could take care of his car during a race. Plus, he's probably the main reason that Kimi got his seat instead of Nick Heidfeld who had strong ties to Mercedes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's time to put up or shut up for Montoya ....