Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's time to put up or shut up for Montoya ....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 06:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Did anybody catch today's F1 practice on speed? Montoya's car died just over the pit exit line. He had to run back to the pits, grab the car jack and pull the car behind the pit line solo. Not off to a good start this weekend.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
...Guys like Senna and Schumi can win inspite of their cars...
Michael Schumacher has won only one World Driver's title without the championship car and the only year when the construction went to other team (while MS won) was 1994 when he has Jos Verstappen and very sick J.J. Lehto as his team mates so even that car was superb but the team mates had nothing really going on.

He has always had the best car when he has won the driver's title.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GREEK-TURBO-RACER
As I mentioned in an old thread last year, I had the pleasure of being in the car with my buddy Mika (Finn). Thats what I call him. Trust me guy's , I have been in Porsche's where guys think they have talent. THIS guy can drive !!! Yes, the Finns do have it in their blood. And with Hakinnenn, sorry on spelling, having the resume he's had with the Championships, hence my nickname for the Finn.

Yeh, I do hope you get racing soon bro. I am with you 1000 % !!!

Theo
Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
What is really interesting is the very real possibility that next year's championship might be won by DC (if he performs well enough to retain his ride - absolutely NOT a given)...
Are you really serious with that?

Have you watched how he has driven lately?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Are you really serious with that?

Have you watched how he has driven lately?
Crazier things could happen. Think about the silly season right now. You've got the top 4 drivers all in play (Scummie, Kimi, JPM, Alonso - although his destination is at least clear). Chances are very high that MS will stay at Ferrari, but what if he doesn't (or retires)? Kimi to Ferrari, JPM God knows where, and without a Newey car will McLaren still be a powerhouse?

So, imagine the top 4 somewhere new next year. While I don't rate DC a MS or a Senna or (you're not going to believe this) a Hakkinen, I still think he's got something in him. Having Newey could rejuvenate him and if the top 4 move and have adjustment issues with their new teams, I don't think it would be impossible. Do not under estimate the Newey car (especially with serious money behind it). And, although DC failed to win the championship with his previous Newey cars, he's never been the number one driver with one either (you absolutely CANNOT convince me he was on equal footing with Hak within the team.

As I said, crazier things could happen. But, most likely someone younger and more on their game will be in the car. One thing is certain in my mind is that RBR will be a top shelf team next year.

As for how DC has driven lately, I think it's been a very mixed bag. Some races he's looked younger and more hungry. Others he's looked like he's just padding his pension.

So, getting back to RBR, I think the really interesting question is who will fill the seats next year?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DC's a dead duck. He's long overdue to go the way of Jean Alesi. Ditto for Villeneuve. I loved all these guys as drivers, they are indeed experienced and skilled drivers, but thier time has come.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Geo,

I knew/know where you were coming from but I'm referring him getting beaten by his tream mate. This time is not so experience, not that great Klien (he's good but no way in Kimi, Fernando, Schumi level).

Red Bull already is a good car and no doubt will be better next year so there is a chance Red BUll driver will win driver's championship in 2007 but when DC is getting beaten by Klien, there is no way he will win as long as he has a team mate.

If Red Bull is next year as good as Williams was in 90s and they only drive one car, DC is their only driver and Kimi, Alonso and Schumi are somehow out, then he might have a slight chance, otherwise, no.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Geo
Race Director

I think DC is just very inconsistent. I still think he has something left. The question remains if he's motivated enough to find it. DC is a winner and Klien is not. He knows how to win. The question is if he wants to put in the effort. Lately it hasn't looked so good. But if he decides to work really hard he can win.

Personally I think this is a pivotal season for DC. If he decides to work really hard like MS he may have a shot next year. If he just decides to pad his pension, this will probably be (should be) his last season.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Geo,

I don't know whether you really want/hope DC to win the championship, be good, go down to history of one of th greats, such as Schumi, MIka etc. but that's just never gonna happen.

He isn't bad driver at all but he will never be in same league as the names mentioned above.

And BTW, you're dissing Klien against DC, yet he's beating DC and he has no where near the experience etc...
Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Geo
Race Director

Geo,

I don't know whether you really want/hope DC to win the championship, be good, go down to history of one of th greats, such as Schumi, MIka etc. but that's just never gonna happen.

He isn't bad driver at all but he will never be in same league as the names mentioned above.

And BTW, you're dissing Klien against DC, yet he's beating DC and he has no where near the experience etc...
I don't really care if DC wins or not. I'm just trying to look at the possibilities. As for DC going down as one of the truly greats, even if he did win a championship or multiple championships, he wouldn't go down as one of the truly great F1 drivers. I don't think Mika belongs in that group either.

How am I dissing Klien? Is he a multiple winner in F1 and I somehow missed it?
Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
I don't really care if DC wins or not. I'm just trying to look at the possibilities. As for DC going down as one of the truly greats, even if he did win a championship or multiple championships, he wouldn't go down as one of the truly great F1 drivers. I don't think Mika belongs in that group either.

How am I dissing Klien? Is he a multiple winner in F1 and I somehow missed it?
Sure, the possibilities are there but I think even if Red BUll being the best car (as DC alread has had pretty much all his career) next year, DC won't be a champion.

I just meant when you said DC is a winner and Klien not, yet Klien has driven better than DC. They're different matters but to me, DC always has been the won who is not the winner (of championship).

But now, after Malaysia, I for sure hate Klien!!!

Anyway, I think we have expressed our opinions of Mika & DC and can't seem to change each other's.

Cheers!
Old 03-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

I agree that Coulthard has been in one of the top two cars his entire career and he's had teammates win the world championship and all he could do is watch. The only reason I would pick DC over Klien is because he has not been a winner and while I don't want to over emphasize it, it is major. The problem is I don't think DC is determined enough, but if he found himself once again in the best car AND he found the determination to make a go at it (and to hell with his teammate) I still think he could. Odds say he can't but I'd bet on DC over Klien.

I like DC well enough, but I'm not crazy about him despite the fact I've talked about him a lot here. Actually I'm not a major fan of any of the F1 drivers right now.

I like DC because he seems to be a nice guy, but he also seems to lack the commitment necessary to win the championship.

I like JV, but he made a mess of his career by going to BAR and I don't think he'll recover from that.

Scott Speed is a sentimental favorite because he's the first American in F1 in so long, but only time will tell if he has what it takes.

JPM I like some days and don't others. I think he may have the talent to win a championship, but lacks in other areas. I think he thinks too highly of himself and generally I think he if often an *******.

MS I respect, but I don't like because I think he's dirty and would have crashed his mother (God rest her soul) to win an F1 race.

Kimi I'm pretty neutral on. I've got to believe he makes his own luck. Maybe not. I would be happy to see him win the championship.

Rosberg I'm very excited about. Too soon to tell of course, but this kid looks like a champion in the making. Seems to have a good attitude too - something I like to see personally.

The rest I don't much care about one way or another including Alonso. I think had the competition had a stronger start to last season, Alonso would not be champion.

Anyway, the only reason I posted all of that is because I don't really have a favorite driver and haven't in quite a long time. It's not just because F1 has been a bit boring in the last 10 years, but there just hasn't been a driver who has excited me since JV won his championship, but really, since Prost retired, Mansell crossed the pond, and Senna was killed (God rest his soul), it's been hard for me to get excited about anyone in the sport.

Now I'm off to work on MY race car for a while. BTW, please, no spoilers from todays race here. I have it on tape and will watch it when I get back from working on my car.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:29 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Michael Schumacher has won only one World Driver's title without the championship car and the only year when the construction went to other team (while MS won) was 1994 when he has Jos Verstappen and very sick J.J. Lehto as his team mates so even that car was superb but the team mates had nothing really going on.

He has always had the best car when he has won the driver's title.
I couldn't agree more...here's something I posted a while back...

...it's tough to surpass Senna's drive at Monaco in his first race there and in the rain, not to mention in the piece of sH!% Toleman lapping faster (I believe it was 12 seconds faster than leader Prost) than anyone else and eventually passing Alain for the lead. If not for the officials stopping the race half way through that lap (which means they are official as of the last complete lap) Senna would have won that race. He did this driving one of the worst cars in F1 at the time, in Monaco, in the RAIN!!!

Or the one in Spa, Belgium in 1992 where he lead the race for ten laps...you may ask what the big deal is, the great one lead lots of races, the only difference was that first it was in the rain, second it's Spa in the rain and third he did it on SLICKS!!! And those where slicks not the grooved semi-slicks of today. I sometimes wonder if Senna would have lived to drive in this era, would he ever have to change to rain tyres???

As Eddie Irvine once said, "Spa it's a lot like soccer....you need a lot of speed and *****!!!"

Or in 1993 when Senna had the "customer" Ford engines and still managed to win 5 times...led the championship at some point and what did Heir Schumacher do with the works Ford support...he won once and was never close to being a threat in the championship!!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:11 AM
Geo
Race Director

I don't believe Senna actually passed Prost in that race. My recollection is that he was catching at a tremendous pace and would surely have passed him, but I don't believe he ever did.

Also, IIRC, stopping the race short actually cost Prost the championship by 1/2 point due to the half points awarded for that race.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:19 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I don't believe Senna actually passed Prost in that race. My recollection is that he was catching at a tremendous pace and would surely have passed him, but I don't believe he ever did.

Also, IIRC, stopping the race short actually cost Prost the championship by 1/2 point due to the half points awarded for that race.
Still either way very impressive...that's like in todays world, one of the Midland or Super Aguri drivers in second place and making a run at Alonso or Schumi in Monaco in the rain!!! That's God given ability not a well engineered car!

Quick Reply: It's time to put up or shut up for Montoya ....