Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a small trailer... need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building a small trailer... need suggestions.

I'm going to build a trailer to haul my kart behind my 993, and I would LOVE to use the front pair of old wheels from my 928 as the trailer wheels. How would I go about adapting the wheels to fit a trailer axle? I don't think there are any trailer hubs with the Porsche pattern. Is there anything available short of a custom machine job? I was thinking I could somehow adapt the spare set of 928 hubs I have to the trailer axle, but I'm not sure how I would go about that. Has anyone done anything like this before? I hate the dinky little trailer wheels/tires, and I know that the trailer tires are not rated for high speed and are prone to punctures/blowouts. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Benton
Drifting

After a bit more research, I have found a place that will make any custom adapter for $115 for a pair. Is this the best route to go?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 AM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help ya, but do post your solution when you find it. I have a old set of 15" fuchs that would look great on my little tire trailer
Old 03-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I think your focus in building this trailer is to minimize weight - your 993 is probably rated to pull ~ 500 lbs. That said, though 928 wheels will give your trailer more 'bling' it will also add weight. I'd go with 12 to 14 inch wheels on the trailer. I have a Southport trailer that I pull behind my 944S2 and it has the smaller wheels.

That said, I have seen pics of someone who used the rear hatch of a 944 as a trailer- he even grafted the windshield to the front. There's pics somewhere on this interwebnet thingy...can't seem to find them now...

-Z-man.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:46 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You must mean this thing. He's a rennsport member. It's a pretty good job too. Even has a little glass sunroof
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Benton
Drifting

Z-man,
Thanks for the input, although I think at 500 lbs of weight, the difference in wheel weight will be negligible. I also would like to have tires rated for a higher speed than those crappy trailer tires. The stock 16" 928 wheels are extremely light (forged), so I don't think it is a huge concern. My plan is to spray them blue, put some 205's on them, and build a lightweight trailer around it. Between the kart, spares, wheels, tools, etc., the trailer will probably weigh around 400-500 lbs. I will probably go with these custom adapters. Thanks for the help, and I'll post up when I finish it (hopefully within the next month or so, but I'm really busy right now and my 993 is 150 miles away).
Old 03-08-2006, 04:21 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Hubcentric adapters should be fine, especially in your low weight/low stress application. I used the services of Fred Goekse at wheeladapters.com for adapters to fit late model mustang wheels to my old 'cuda, he's a little forgetful but knows his stuff, been doing it for ages.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Get a pair of rear hubs from a VW Rabbit or Golf - they mount flat with 4 bolts. Then you can use a pair of Porsche to VW adapters to use your wheels.

I built a car trailer using 4 rear rabbit wheels - still running strong 14 years later, although the surge brakes wore out a long time ago. I just got a bigger truck to handle the stopping issue.

Quick Reply: Building a small trailer... need suggestions.