Sponsored by:

In-car video - dealing with wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
DaMan-993TT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-car video - dealing with wind noise

As many of you are doing in-car video for track days and races, I am looking for advise on how to handle wind noise.

As the windows are always open, and the camcorder is a head height, loud wind noise is all over the recordings I have done.

My camcorder has an external mic input that I was investigating, I might be able to put on a shotgun like this one:

What are you all doing to combat this issue?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Where do you mount the camera?
I would suggest mounting in on the downtube near the A pillar.
If you send me an email that can handle a big file I will send you an example of how the video and sound turns out.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I run mine on my roll cage at centerline in the car on an IO Port mount. I use a regular "band-aid" over the microhone and it works great. Keep in mind my car has no windows at all.

Now, I have a problem with handling vibrations since I now run solid engine./tranny mounts. Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:34 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The RaceCam and ChaseCam systems come with one or two small mics, not much bigger than an audio cable, with a small bit of foam on the end. You can see a picture of the one for the ChaseCam here: http://chasecam.com/access.htm

As Greg suggests, mount these on a downtube of the rollcage, using a zip-tie to hold the mic pointing downward on the back of the tube. This should be lower than the window-opening, with mid-point having worked well for me in a very loud Cup car.

Here are several videos with the RaceCam mic mounted as described: Skip's Videos
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM
DaMan-993TT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, never thought of the mini mic, your videos sound great. I will look into those, there are cheap.

Quick Reply: In-car video - dealing with wind noise