Finally bought a diff - adios to the spool

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:12 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally bought a diff - adios to the spool

After doing lot of research and talking to a lot of people as well as the very helpful , friendly, and knowlegable input from Rick Deman, Geoffrey Ring, and Brian Copans, I finally ordered a diff for my car.

The overall concensus was to go with a Porsche Motorsport Billet cased new 2005 GT3RSR diff since it would be able to take the power. The previous cast versions had some cracking issues.

This is a direct bolt in to my G50/52 5-speed.

Anyways I sourced one at a great price and I should have it about the time I get home from my trip. It will not be in for Atlanta, but will be in for MidOhio, where it really is needed.

If I ever want to swap in the spool, I can easily do it at the track as my trans expert is setting it up that way so the bearings and everything on both the spool and diff are setup properly...

Anyways, it will be very interesting to see the hopeful trmendous reduction in understeer. It will be also interesting to see if there is any change in power application, ie. will it be a lot easier to light up the tires (which I always try not to do)...

Man, that means I actually might have to work and get fast instead of complaining about understeer :-)

Norm
Old 03-04-2006, 09:38 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

No crutch?

NOW you've done it!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:26 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Great stuff, Norm. Must admit we are going to miss the throttle stabs as you horsed that beast of yours through high speed corners. It was fun to watch!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that you will not believe the difference. You will be so much faster in the mid speed corners. You should be able to start putting down the power right after turn-in instead of trying to horse the car in towards the apex. This will be you wondering why it took so long to switch to the diff =>
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's what I am hoping for. The last straw was following Steve Tetrealt and Leh Keen through sunset bend (Sebring) and seeing them get back on the throttle about a full second faster than I could since I was still rotating the car..

I am looking forward to it..

Norm
Old 03-04-2006, 10:49 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way, in terms of a crutch, I'm sure I'll find other things to whine about :-)

Norm
Old 03-04-2006, 12:18 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is : Why the spool in the first place? Why did you originally go for that setup to begin with, and what were your goals at the time? Just curious...

Brian
Old 03-04-2006, 12:21 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brian,

Good question. The spool was in the car when I purchased it - I would not have put one in.

Kelly Moss built the whole car and thats what they recommended. They had trouble keeping diffs in the car with the power it has. But that was before the billet cased motorsport diff was available.

Norm
Old 03-04-2006, 12:23 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I gotcha. I thought you had built the car and had built it specifically that way for a reason.

Thanks.

Brian
Old 03-04-2006, 02:14 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Side bar.....After watching your video from Sebring with that incredible high gear acceleration, I know that's not a stock GT2 motor(EVO or single plug) as I've followed a single plug version around out here. So what did Kelley Moss do that engine if you don't mind my curiosity......
Old 03-04-2006, 02:41 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is actually a 6 butterfly 3.8 twin turbo Zytek Motorsport Design Engine.

A very nice piece of work that Bob Holcombe built. He also built the engine in Steve Tetrealts car from what I heard - but I believe his is single turbo.

Norm
Old 03-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Norm, Tetrault's car is only a 3.4l and I had limited the boost to 1bar right before Sebring...
Old 03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey

Yeah, I know, whatever.... My only saving grace is that his car is a good bit lighter (couple of hundred pounds or more from what I hear-at least thats the story I'm sticking with), had a diff, and did I mention, he seemed to be a pretty darn good driver.

I forgot to mention, not only was he on the gas sooner in sunset, he actually gained a couple of car lengths in braking on me on the back straight. What's with that anyways :-) I think he actually picked up (was faster) 1.5 seconds from the breaking zone on the back straight to the flag station...

Hey the fact that there are so many fast GT cars now makes it more fun and actually pushes us all to get better :-)

And Geoffrey, you have done enough to that car - dont you have some work to do on yours :-) I'll be happy to help him program it

Norm
Old 03-04-2006, 09:00 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Hey Norm, I hear there is another interesting GT1R entry at Road Atlanta that might be quick. Cory Friedman at Autometrics has been working on a GT3RS platform with a twin turbo 996 engine. It's still early in development, but should be ready to go at Atlanta. As you know Cory is a very fast driver too.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:19 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, Norm, I do have some work left on my car...but it has been slowed due to building a wire harness for a 996GT2 engine that I'm putting MoTeC on...for Road Atlanta...I'm sure THAT won't be very fast...

I did manage to build much of my engine wire harness today so I'm getting closer.

Quick Reply: Finally bought a diff - adios to the spool