Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk blues or Padgid orange?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 944 with a 968 engine (3200 including driver) with big reds and PFC 97's, I ran on the same set of OEM 928 rotors for 2 full seasons which works out to about 35 or40 days evenly split between DE and race.

Pagid oranges (IMO) can't handle the heat generated on the track as they are more of a performance street pad when you get down to it - they break down and result in build-up on your rotors.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:42 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have only run blues on my 993 C2. I did have fade issues initially on tight tracks, but added the cooling ducts to the front. This seemed to make a big difference. I do see alot of rotor/replacement- wear, no street use of the car ( maybe 100miles/year back and forth to the shop) 5K of track use a year. I am very interested in the optional pads Bull suggests for the C2. Any more comments would be great.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:13 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, I've been using the HT-10 (the ones Bull is talking about) for a couple of months and really like them better than the Hawk Blue pads. I've got another set of HT-10 that are going on the car right now but am going to try the HT-14's next, supposedly a little more initial bite.

George
Old 02-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But I love the way Hawk blues progressively slow the car with steady foot pressure on the pedal!!! last rotors have severe cracks at all the cross drilled holes and with exception to ft rotors and blue pads, system is stock.
Sounds to me like a heat issue more than wear if you are seeing cracks early in rotor life? Do you have good ducting? Sounds like braking technique might be to part of the story?
Weight transfer – threshold brake – trail off smooth to entry speed, Short applications allow more cooling time. Personally I have never gotten decent wear out of any cross drilled rotors have always cracked first.

Pagid oranges (IMO) can't handle the heat generated on the track as they are more of a performance street pad
Have to disagree with this one. I ran rotor friendly Pagid Orange for 7 years. They took me to several overall victories in grp 1. The faults I have found are ungodly noisy on city streets, occasional material transfer issues from abusive warm up on pace laps.

I just changed front brake system and went to Blacks to compete better with Cup Cars in brake zones.

My old setup is posted on Parts-Wheels
Great for GT1S cars These are the absolute max brakes that will fit in 17" wheels
hats and hardware to fit 82-89 turbo frt hubs
99-01 996 SuperCup monoblock calipers (aprox 45 days on calipers)
AP 352 MM rotors (4 days on rotors)
price incls. 2 set new and 1 set scuffed Pagit orange pads. This setup matches up well with 928S or big reds in the rear.
These brakes are off my GT1R (started in S) 935 #711 I have won 3 races overall using them
Old 02-24-2006, 10:12 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I've used Hawk blues for several years. They have worked well and my rotors have held up. The biggest problem I had was when I ran them in the rear with holed rotors. They lasted the season, but the rotors were wavey. Switched back to the solid rotors, no problems.
Run them with non-holed rotors and not on the street.
I'm trying HT-10s for the first time this year.

Quick Reply: Hawk blues or Padgid orange?