Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

data loggers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I WAS WRONG about the initial cost of extra analog/digital inputs on the G2X. In fact, I suspect that the G2X published info led everyone to the same incorrect conclusion.

I was asked by a fellow racer to install his new G2X last weekend, which prompted me to do a little reading. The more I read, the more it looked like you could add a number of additional analog inputs to the G2x WITHOUT the $750 VNet module. So, today I called Tim at Racepak to ask about this. The short answer is "You sure can", even though the web site info suggests otherwise.

The $1420 steering/brake/throttle package is just that - a perfect world package with some expensive sensors and an expensive VNet module. Its a nice setup, and has the advantage that the DatalinkII package identifies each channel and labels the data accordingly.

BUT......

If you simply want to add a couple of 0-12V or 0-5V sensor connections, all you need is a $60 Aux to VNet cable, and as many $99 0-12V or 0-5V analog modules as you need. These modules click together, with the AUx to VNet cable on one end and the VNet terminating plug on the other. Each analog has a long lead pair to connect to the analog signal you want to connect. This is perfect for connecting throttle position sensors and other useful analog signals that are already provided by the engine management system, or for connecting other low cost sensors that are available from several sources.

Tim is going to do something to make this fact more obvious on the G2X website.

FWIW, the G2x hardware is both rugged and nicely put together. I really like the display, both in design and funtionality. The install was a snap.

In case this sounds like a spam, its not. Our association with Racepak is no different to the relationship we have with many other logger vendors, which is that we beat on them about better data export for TrackVision, and sometimes they listen.

The only reason for this post is to correct something I and others had said in earlier posts on this and other related threads - that it cost $1000+ to add any sensor inputs to the G2X. Wrong!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Tony,
Thanks for the clarification. I had wondered about the aux cable and what it was for. The G2X does look like a nice system and that display looks great.

Todd
Old 03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

The display is the ace for the GX2. Now that I've had the chance to play with one, I'm impressed. Its not a dash susbstitute like a MoTeC ADL or an AIM MXL, but it much more functional than the RaceTech Dash 1 or the Traqmate display. Its a nice package for the price. Traqmate is going to be much less expensive if you want several analog sensor inputs and are less interested in a display.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started early on with the G2x (1 year ago) and have watched the software improve. I agree with what is said about the overall effectiveness. Tim at Racepak has done a good job of helping clients and resolving issues. Adding RPM's is not difficult. In my case, I used a good old oscilloscope to find the proper waveform entering the Tach harness in the dash, then calibrated to the harness(20mins start to finish). The RPM hookup has been very accurate. Mapping and antenna mounting is simple. (I even used it in Germany to get a complete lap of the Nurburgring during closed course track time last year). When I have time, I will post how it was mounted along with my new 30gig DVR/camera recording system that is in it's finishing touches.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:42 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Bob,
I was kinda worried about how tricky the RPM hookup was going to be on Matt's car [red headed stepchild 944S2 with 968 engine & DME]. Having located what should have been [?] the RPM line on the DME connector, we started it up, made the connection, and voila! The RPM display was up! Easy peasy.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

The Race Technology AX22 is a fantastic tool. It takes 30 seconds to install in the car and remove it. The precision of the data is amazing. I have a MXL Pista as well and can't get rid of it fast enough since I bought the AX 22.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW - Thanks to Tony for solving the RPM hookup off of my 968 DME (pin 6). Once we read the electrical diagrams a few times, install took about 15 minutes and I was up and running with the datalogger and the dash.

The dash was the key selling point to me, as it offers so much more functionality than the other dashes out there for the price. Software took about a day to figure out, but it's got a lot of really nice features and analysis tools that are completely easy to understand once it's configured.

Nits to pick

1) Dash has three 1.5 inch long bolts that come out of the back of the dash for use in securing it to a mount. Not sure is you can open the unit to remove them, or whether they have to be cut flush to mount the dash using velcro

2) Track mapping - when working on the track map, you can't click the mouse on a location on the track and have the data "jump" to the appropriate point on the screen. You have to click in the data graph and scroll to the appropriate place. Minor nit that you get used to, but would be nice if you could click

3) To get full effect, it really needs to run at 1280x1024 resolution which my laptop can't do - so you have to squint a bit or drag some windows around to look at data at the track. You can work around it - but it would be a nice to have.

Tony - I think that Tim has made some of the updates to the site, as I just noticed that there is a generic cable to add non-racepack sensors at minimal cost.

Love the product otherwise (no affiliation just a happy customer)
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the dash was the key point for me. The best thing that tickled my instant gratification on the track was the dual led RPM arrays. On the back straightaway at VIR I could almost pretend I was driving an Audi R8 with the trick steering wheel... almost...

Nits to pick

1) Dash has three 1.5 inch long bolts that come out of the back of the dash for use in securing it to a mount. Not sure is you can open the unit to remove them, or whether they have to be cut flush to mount the dash using velcro
They're actually just studs you can unscrew from the case. I used them in my mount.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're actually just studs you can unscrew from the case. I used them in my mount.[/QUOTE]

If you remove the ashtray insert (stock interior cars) the 993 and similar. The unit mounts inside by using the bottom studs and clamping them to the flipped down ash tray door. Best use of an ash tray to date.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:01 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One additional note - talked to racepak again yesterday. They can handle any analog sensor that delivers 0-5 volts as long as has a proportional output.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Traqmate (basic) based on the ease of software use and no need for a digitial "bling" display. I am suprised at all the different graphs you can look at! Half I will probably never use. The Traqmate is everything I need for wheel 2 wheel racing. I installed it in my 911 in about 2 hours. I have the RPM and digital brake hooked up. Now I will play with the oil pressure and oil temp.
I find the Traqmate not as "intimidating" and user friendly compared to the other systems.
my 02 cents

Quick Reply: data loggers