Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like to have club racing coverage in Pano?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by esscape26
Coverage on theracesite.com is up.
(Around North American section.)

PM
Hey PM, you never answered...what's the "official" color designation for the car now?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:53 AM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with the consensus on this thread that PANO needs a face lift. For starters, every other major club mag I receive changed to the more standard and reputedly much cheaper larger size format years ago. Put the money into content instead!

Sure all the varied activities need to be included; but if there was no Club Race and no DE the size of the membership would plummet. Kinda like a conservation club I belong to. Some of the diehards sit around and loudly proclaim the conservation focus; but take away the shooting ranges and skeet ranges and there wouldn't be enough membership to support the club. Same here.

So, PANO needs to cover those activities that generate the most activity by the membership AND all available. Maybe skipping a couple of re-cycled never-ending discussions of what happened in 1957 ... And it's a shame the technical content can't be up to the same standard as, say, Excellence.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:15 AM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so all the club racers think there should be racing coverage in Pano....no real surprise is it?
Keep in mind that we are a VERY SMALL minority of P-car owners. Many of whom don't even know that club racing exists. I can see why Pano is a high-quality (expensive) format. They are going after high dollar owners and want to keep the image up compared to other marques.

The real question is what do we do about it? Who to talk to?

Who is going to cover the events, take the photos, do the writeups, send the stories?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhillips-998
Anyone know what activity, other than membership, bring in the most $$ to PCA?

My guess would be club racing but I'm not really sure. Wouldn't/shouldn't that fact have some bearing on whether they cover it in Pano?
My guess would be Drivers Education but I too am not sure. Club Race is a natural progression from DE. The answer to "OK, now what?"

Good point on the number of people that are members to the number of members that are active. I see the same faces at the track, the meetings, picnics and even here. Manny is spot on IMO. It is the people, write about them. There are thousands of srories of trial and sucess with humour and good fun a common theme. Non active members might feel more conected to the racing aspect and also learn that they can come and watch and even join in via DE. Many members only stay a member for a year or so. Why do so many stop? Was it that they never found something they liked or it was not what they expected? Or did they never learn of the many things thay can do around the club? Write not so much as who won but who was there and how they got there.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:18 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I would agree- in fact I suspect it is DE by far but don't know for certain.

And while I stand by my earlier comments on Panorama I would like to soften them a bit- and maybe clarify my criticism. I've seen some pretty good articles on Club Racing by Patty Mosconi (sp?) and I also recall seeing one on Miriam Schottland (a local DE instructor). Some of the historical articles are interesting too. But these are few and far between.

What really irritates me about Panorama is that, IMO, it does a much better job reflecting the views of Porsche the company than it does the membership of PCA. There is virtually no crticism of Porsche itself- but heaps of fawning praise- in issue after issue.

If we want to read the company line we could subscribe to Christophorus. I think Panorama could do a much better job in focusing on the interests of its members- by inclusion of more Club Racing, DE, technical or comparative articles and leveling some honest criticism of the company when it's due. Let's face it, the Cayenne is not an unparalleled success and never came close to selling out the first year- no matter what Porsche said- in fact some (alot!) of us think it's a butt ugly overpriced Volkswagen.

IMO Roundel, to cite an example, does a pretty good job of achieving the proper balance. They include some pretty harsh criticism of BMW (some of it maybe over the top), honest critiques of the cars (they'll even say Porsche is better!) and articles on BMW racing (pro and club), concours activities, autocross and DEs in virtually every issue.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
esscape26
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I am surveying everyone under the age of 13 (who chose the paint scheme to begin with) and we have not yet come up with a great one-word color that does not include the obvious 'blue.'
I am open to suggestions and may go to the Disney section of paint chips at Home Depot.

The adults have so far responded: Sebring blue (like the guardrails, thanks); easter egg and the statement "your car is molting."

PM

Quick Reply: Like to have club racing coverage in Pano?