Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like to have club racing coverage in Pano?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:45 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racing is part of Porsche - and it should be in Pano. Count me in for another "yes". I've just started doing DE's, and I'd like to learn more about club racing before deciding to try it... I would definitely be helped by some club racing articles.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Absolutely! Pano needs some help - I usually spend all of 5-10 minutes looking at it before I throw it away. Club magazines from BMW and Audi linger much longer on the coffee table; the BMW magazine in particular covers racing (and many other topics) quite nicely.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not certain what survey you are referencing - could elaborate on when it was taken and the results?

It has always bothered me that the club should set up a series but not provide regular coverage. These do not need to be long detailed articles, I would settle for just the results and standings.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ABSOLUTELY! Club Racing is one of the most asked about activities in my Region....and as I recall, other regions that I have belonged to. Why? Because people are interested in learning about this important activity within the Porsche Club, and there is a general void of information. Bring it up in your home Region sometime and see how you are received.....let's get some coverage of the races, profiles of racers, and "how to get started" info in our publications!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 AM
racer914
Intermediate

I would enjoy more club racing coverage too...
Old 02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
tlark
Drifting

Anything would be an improvement..........Panorama = Bororama
Old 02-19-2006, 01:34 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Ditto!! More racing! Pano do you see this?? Don't make me say the "B" word...
Old 02-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I also agree that Pano needs to have Club Racing coverage. I think Manny's idea is excellent and should be implemented in the March '06 issue!

Greg A
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Since club racing, my three kids, and day job do not consume all my free time, I also am on the executive council of pca as secretary. Much like any other volunteer position in pca, we're there to have fun and serve the members the best we can. It's quite an eye opening experience when you see how much is involved in keeping a national organization of this size running every day. What's even more amazing is how we have so many volunteers who put in some serious hours every month for the club. Heck, just look at the club racing side....God bless those stewards, scruts and T&S folks who give up their weekends so we can have fun on the track.

The best way to start making a change is to send a note, doesn't have to be long, to Betty Jo Turner and any member of the executive council. contact info is posted at

https://www.pca.org/members/club_officers.html

Betty Jo's email is porpan@mindspring.com (this is posted on our webpage).

We're there for you all. But we need to hear from you. It sounds like an cliche, but it's true. You can make a difference.

One final thought to consider. Our club is big. 54,000 members. There are less than 3,000 licensed club racers in this total. Unlike SCCA or NASA, we're much more than just club racing. There are many people who have no interest in pro or club racing. This is why I believe the articles have to be interesting enough to reach non-enthusiast and maybe turn them into enthusiast. You don't have to be licensed to enjoy the sport. I saw alot of spectators in Sebring who were there to enjoy the cars and the racing.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Hey, Panorama published my article on "Hey Wait For Me" Racing's sponsorship of The Racer's Group car at Le Mans in '04.

We're mostly Club Racers.

In my opinion club racing coverage doesn't get any better than that.

On the other hand, last weekend at Sebring, I believe my fastest lap was quicker than Manny's slowest. I would appreciate coverage of that.

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 02-19-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:06 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

I always wondered why Club Racing had it's own newsletter "ghetto," and was never mentioned in the main publication. It's a part of the Club - why not cover it?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 PM
mm86911
Instructor

Definitely need more racing coverage!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I would definitely like to see more coverage of Club Racing. I think there should be a writeup, pictures and results of every race.

Right now I find Pano to be pretty much worthless. Every time I see a copy of Roundel, it makes me realize how good Pano could be but isn't.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:17 PM
JWERION
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like to see several pages of the pano dedicated to club racing. It would make the mag much more interesting.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny Alban
One final thought to consider. Our club is big. 54,000 members. There are less than 3,000 licensed club racers in this total.
Although I agree with your point about the way articles should be written, this statistic is a bit deceiving. If we advertised racing more, there would be more racers. I know I would have started sooner if I had had more exposure and I am a member of the largest region in PCA!

Quick Reply: Like to have club racing coverage in Pano?