Sponsored by:

Sebring Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Mitch, tell your dad I had a blast running with him at the beginning of the enduro. Those US Cup Cars are pretty darn fast. Glad they're in D and not C We got penalized in the pit because we spilled a few drops of gas. Made us wait an extra two minutes.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:57 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 819 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Hey Colin nice lap, I saw your times improving all weekend !! Lucky for me we didn't have more practice time for you to get even faster . I really struggled early in practices to find clear track to run some quick times. During practice, and the fun race, I always seemed to get bogged down in the mayhem that was the E/F/G battle that also had some great drivers and cars.
Thanks and nice 2:26 by you. It always takes me a while on a new track to figure it out. I'll try to give you a run at Watkins Glen where at least I know where I'm going (and there aren't all those pesky haripins...big fat turbo no likey 2nd gear turns!).

Originally Posted by MJR911
2.25.3 by Van Zelst. Good thing those cars don't stay together.... good god.
I can see what that car would dominate D. That car was about 4 car lengths faster than mine down the back straight, which is about how much faster I am than a US Cup. It basically has my power advantage with the US Cup's weight advanatge...a bad combo for the the rest of us.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:02 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manny, that was me in the car at the start of the enduro. Not too bad for jumping in that morning for the first time, but I kept hearing over the radio "BE SAFE, BE SAFE, BRING IT HOME IN 1 PIECE!" Good thing he couldn't see DiMarco and I go three wide into the hairpin! I drove 1.10 of the 1.30 hours b/c of the double yellow. I knew I couldn't let you get by... great stuff!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
"BE SAFE, BE SAFE, BRING IT HOME IN 1 PIECE!"
Mitch, glad you got to have some fun. Sebring can be very unforgiving of a mistake. I saw that t-shirt that had the Buckler quote "A Sebring lap at 11/10th's is a violent experience"...........I agree, and I saw plenty very hard racing taking it all the way to the edge. Terry Heath definetely had a flair for the dramatic !! After subduing me with that flame thrower, he enjoyed a little landscapping outside turn 1 at 100 mph on a couple of occasions with me close behind. Yikes......I thought he was trying to win the workers choice award
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Some Photos:

Old 02-13-2006, 08:05 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Man, Florida is COLD!!!

I'm still stranded here along with most NEasterners I guess... will try to head back Tues am.

Sebring is a handful! Took a long time to learn, T + Tune day was well worth it even though I was slow. Also a good way to break in a new engine and axels while going slow.

My spec miata class (GTC3) was huge, with a few pros and semi pros to prove how fast these cars can really go. I had a pretty good 1st session and it was sort of down hill from there with traffic and driving errors. Had some fun in the fun race, did pretty well. I used softer Michelim tires in qualifying and thereafter, they were not so good on the concrete even though it was cold, the hard CUP tires were better.

Finally got in the 2:15s in the sprint race and had a good battle with John Crosby who also had his best lap at that time and stayed just ahead of me after passing me. I had problems at the start of the sprint, good went to bad as I was on Bill Chadwick's bumper at the green flag hoping to draft him into the first turn. But his turbos were dead or something, and people passed us, then I passed him after the first turn. His power was coming on and off as he passed me back a few times in the race.

My Enduro qualifying was terrible, traffic on the 1st laps then only one flying lap after a black flag all. The shifter alignment felt off on the warmup laps in the enduro so I was worried, and missed a shift after several laps, then gave up as I did not want to damage my new engine due to sloppy shifting.

I was really impressed by Bill's driving in D, keeping up with the B cars in the enduro! I would have been toast in my 2.7RS in D as a lightweight but as a touring in E it would have been competitive.

We were lucky that rain passed by saturday night, but would have been nice to have some warmth!!!

Thanks to Farnbacher-Loles and Orbit, my car was the most reliable of all our cars up to the shifter episode and will get faster as the new engine wears in.

See you at Atlanta if I get the urge to try again... that track suits my smooth non-aggressive style better.

p.s. buy stock in 997 GT3 cup car body parts and spare chassis!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:52 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by analogmike
I was really impressed by Bill's driving in D, keeping up with the B cars in the enduro! I would have been toast in my 2.7RS in D as a lightweight but as a touring in E it would have been competitive.
Thanks Mike, great seeing you again. I was fortunate to get a good set-up working and my car was handling exceptionally well. I could hang with the B cars for a few laps but then my tires wouldn't let me do it anymore. The hp advantage they had started to take it's toll and they slowly pulled away. I did hang in there with Rod Johnson's 993 RS and we had a good race for the first hour.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:00 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you guys had a good time in the enduro. I'm sorry I had to leave on Saturday. The sprint was great though. Thanks to everyone that helped put it together.
Jim
Old 02-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
During practice, and the fun race, I always seemed to get bogged down in the mayhem that was the E/F/G battle that also had some great drivers and cars. Notice the fastest time was put in by that 944 TC. Faster than Llopiz in the B car.
Nice watching you guys motor by.

E/F/G was interesting, and "mayhem" isn't too far off. Lots of cars grouped together by speed and ability.

In F, Grigsby and Poeltl are in a class by themselves, though Chris Inglot's gaining on them. I think we had three cars in F1 and nineteen in F2 and have adjusted my results accordingly.

Some very quick G cars as well.

And I agree, there were some terrific drivers in every class.

Great weekend, now that I'm thawed from standing around in the cold for three hours waiting for results.

Suncoast and Goldcoast Regions did an awesome job.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:54 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Analog Mike;

At least there wasn't any snow in the cold down here. Fun weekend! Still hard to believe we were racing with more cars in our class than the GT Class had at the Rolex 24. I'm still trying to catch up with you guys though. I was getting a better rhythm in the enduro though. That is a fun exercise!
Old 02-14-2006, 11:15 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Results are up on mylaps & pca.org
Old 02-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Results are up on mylaps & pca.org
that was fast.

They are well organized
Old 02-14-2006, 12:07 PM
mji911
Instructor

Colin, Great job. Had a great time with the Hairy Dog Crew. I'm assuming everyone made it back to the tundra safely. See you at the next event. Mike
Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sprint race was a blast. I was a bit worried about the number of cars, but everyone seemed to drive very well and aware.

There was a lot of verrry fast competition.

Leh was extremely fast as usual, and Steve Tetrealt (whom I never raced against before) was incredibly fast, as were many others.

Rick G did a great job as well as always pushed his world challenge machine incredibly fast.

Good meeting all of you that stopped by...

BTW - Even with the locked spool, I see in mylaps that I still ran 6 out of 14 laps in the 2:10's with all the traffic... I may actually try a diff and see how much better it is...

Man, those new 997 cups are absolutely beautiful. I would not mind getting one of them. My engine would be great in one of those :-)

Norm

Last edited by ngoldrich; 02-14-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
that was fast.

They are well organized

I think they got to the web faster than they got down to the information tent.

Mike - I've got some good video...I'll send it to you via email. It was great to see you again & looking forward to the next race.

Rick

Quick Reply: Sebring Results