Sponsored by:

newbie ques. on oversteer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbie ques. on oversteer.

I have just started my "track" career, and have been reading various books including Bondurants. He states that there are two oversteers, power and standard. Am I correct in saying that one can almost never achieve power oversteer in 911, unless it has huge amount of HP?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:37 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Right there are two forms of oversteer.

I call them power oversteer and corner entry oversteer.

Power oversteer is rather simple to understand. If you are turning and apply too much power the rear tires break loose and you get oversteer. Clearly the more power you have the easier it is to break the rear end loose. However you can do this with and hp level of car. Trust me. It just is easier with more hp. I can powerside my 134 rwhp 944 NA even on sticky race tires. I just need alot of cornering load to do it. To correct this oversteeryou remove some throttle.

Corner entry oversteer is more complex occurs mostly on corner entry. This where you turn the car and the back end keeps turning. There are many ways to have this happen. Some infact are things the driver does on purpose some are not. What drives this is momentum of the car and how much turning and weight transfer to the front you are getting. Solution is to apply some power to trasfer weight to the rear to get it to grip. The dreaded 911 trailing throttle oversteer is a form of this as when you lift off the gas weight gets transfered to the front tires and the large mass over the rear is such that it wants to pull the rear end around very strongly. Part of the problem is people will feel the back end get loose on them and then lift in an attempt to slow down not realizing that they are actually making the problem worse.

Quick Reply: newbie ques. on oversteer.