Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:33 PM
thomas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALMS GT2 class heating up

Ferrari returns to ALMS competiton.

http://www.americanlemans.com/News/A...px?NewsID=1746

Scott Maxwell's Panoz Esperante GTLM was fast at the Sebring testing.

http://americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=1741
Old 02-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

2:02:5 in a GT2 car? I think we should scrute this car a little closer. Way fast!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that would be an in car video I would love to see!

Norm
Old 02-03-2006, 10:02 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

There is a rumor running around that Panoz was the real money behind the develpment of the Porsche Spyder for LMP2, as a means of re-vitalizing the ailing ALMS series he founded. ALMS has issued a denial of this rumor. I guess it's not surprising that the new GT2 Panoz Esperante would eventually get some advantageous allowances to give it a leg up on the GT3 RSR.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Benton
Drifting

I don't think that Panoz would be greedy enough to give the GTLM an advantage; rather, I think they just want to equalize the cars to give GT2 some serious competition. The GP of Atlanta was so exciting to experience first hand on those last few laps, and I think that is the excitement and competition they are trying to bring to the ALMS. It's a shame the GP of ATL isn't on the schedule this year; that really pisses me off.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Benton
Drifting

What is this "GT2S" class I am seeing in blurbs across the website? The only place I am seeing it is where Lexus announces it will run IS350's in the GT2S category.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:16 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

It's a new "Sedan" category. I think there are some BMW's running as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:41 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Man, one can only hope Champion runs some Audi RS4's in GT2S class.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:43 PM
thomas
Instructor

Originally Posted by kgorman
Man, one can only hope Champion runs some Audi RS4's in GT2S class.
The GT2S cars haven't been (won't be?) approved by the FIA so they won't run at Le Mans so other sedans might run in GT2S here. I've heard BMW might run the new Z4 M Coupe in ALMS.

News of BMW and Lexus

http://americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=1672

http://americanlemans.com/News/Article.aspx?NewsID=1675
Old 02-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

sorry boys, the new RS4 is like something you step in on the sidewalk. Speed Challenge fine, real racing forget about it. Too heavy, weight in the wrong place, too big, in GT2 it is completely outclassed. Now a properly prepared Gallard is ANOTHER matter, and would have to be taken very seriously.

R+C
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 AM
thomas
Instructor

There will be Gallardos racing in the FIA GT's new GT3 class this year.

http://fiagt.com/
Old 02-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by thomas
There will be Gallardos racing in the FIA GT's new GT3 class this year.

http://fiagt.com/

At this stage, it is not certain that any Gallardos will actually run in the GT3 series, although it is possible.

One that was partially prepared for endurance racing was tested last year with some of the other contenders, however, there was no name entrant in the last issue of the newsletter for Manufacturers and Race Teams.

Frankly, it is rather an expensive series to enter and fairly few races per year are planned. To make matter worse, the FIA will be running an 'equalisation programme' to try and level the performance. With prospective entrants including Vipers, Corvette Z06, 997 GT3 Cups, Ferrari F430, Maserati, Aston Martin DBRS9, Lotus Exige and Ascari, we can see that levelling the performance is going to be a nightmare.

I can think of other race series that would have a better pay off, especially as this one is restricted to 'Non-professional' drivers. That has little media appeal!

R+C
Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

did you see the Audi RS6 a couple of years ago in speed GT? 214.5 at road america, with DOT tires and 275lbs of extra weight in the car!! (rewards weight)

as i understand the RS4, its slightly smaller and probably have the same HP potential.

certainly could race against the others in GT2 class

Mk

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
sorry boys, the new RS4 is like something you step in on the sidewalk. Speed Challenge fine, real racing forget about it. Too heavy, weight in the wrong place, too big, in GT2 it is completely outclassed. Now a properly prepared Gallard is ANOTHER matter, and would have to be taken very seriously.

R+C
Old 02-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
did you see the Audi RS6 a couple of years ago in speed GT? 214.5 at road america, with DOT tires and 275lbs of extra weight in the car!! (rewards weight)

as i understand the RS4, its slightly smaller and probably have the same HP potential.

certainly could race against the others in GT2 class

Mk
Yes, I am extremely familiar with Champion's RS6 racing program. I am also more than familiar with the RS6, its advantages and its drawbacks.

I have driven highly modified RS6s, frankly they are boring, fast yes, but that is all.

The RS4 does not have the potential of the RS6 as far as horsepower goes. It is a normally aspirated car, as opposed to the RS6's twin turbo charger set up. I have driven the car and have not been impressed. The 'Sports' suspension was uncomfortable, even on German Autobahnen, the throttle response was nothing to write home about, the build quality is poor. I've been an Audi customer for years, since 2000 Audi has been taking quality out of most of their models, this is not a smart move when the customers who spend the most notice that the cars ae getting more epensive but the materals are getting cheaper.

As far as racing the RS4 is concerned, it has a large frontal area. Poor airflow management, the engine in the wrong place and its heavy. Yes, you can turn it into a 'race car' for a series like the Speed Challenge. But that is a highly manipulated marketing exercise for the participants, most of whom are factory or factory stalking horse entrants. Mucking around with the cars' specifications from race to race is only attractive if you are a manufacturer, its a PITA for private entrants. In any event, AWD is banned in almost all racing classes (ACO/FIA included), so the RS4 will not have any articular advantages in the wet or getting out of corners. I do seem to remember that RWD M3s could outdrive the AWD RS6s in the wet at Lime Rock.

R+C
Old 02-06-2006, 06:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Good points. I wasnt aware of the platform deficiencies. especially,it being non turbo. that kills it!!

that RS6 was a monster though!!! but, the way it was modified , it was a GT1 type car (old GTS ALMS) , and it would have been killed by the vets and the rest.

Mk

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Yes, I am extremely familiar with Champion's RS6 racing program. I am also more than familiar with the RS6, its advantages and its drawbacks.

I have driven highly modified RS6s, frankly they are boring, fast yes, but that is all.

The RS4 does not have the potential of the RS6 as far as horsepower goes. It is a normally aspirated car, as opposed to the RS6's twin turbo charger set up. I have driven the car and have not been impressed. The 'Sports' suspension was uncomfortable, even on German Autobahnen, the throttle response was nothing to write home about, the build quality is poor. I've been an Audi customer for years, since 2000 Audi has been taking quality out of most of their models, this is not a smart move when the customers who spend the most notice that the cars ae getting more epensive but the materals are getting cheaper.

As far as racing the RS4 is concerned, it has a large frontal area. Poor airflow management, the engine in the wrong place and its heavy. Yes, you can turn it into a 'race car' for a series like the Speed Challenge. But that is a highly manipulated marketing exercise for the participants, most of whom are factory or factory stalking horse entrants. Mucking around with the cars' specifications from race to race is only attractive if you are a manufacturer, its a PITA for private entrants. In any event, AWD is banned in almost all racing classes (ACO/FIA included), so the RS4 will not have any articular advantages in the wet or getting out of corners. I do seem to remember that RWD M3s could outdrive the AWD RS6s in the wet at Lime Rock.

R+C

Quick Reply: ALMS GT2 class heating up