Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAA Truck & Trailer Towing Snafu.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AAA Truck & Trailer Towing Snafu.....

I was denied towing for my trailer last night by AAA (Auto Club of So Cal), when my dually blew it’s transmission on the way up Hwy. 14 to Willow Springs. I subscribe to their "Premier Service" and "RV/Trailer Towing package" described as:

“Recreational vehicles are vehicles used for recreational purposes such as motor homes, camper vans, cab-over campers and trailers including camping and fifth-wheel trailers. Even boat trailers, utility trailers and horse trailers**** that are used for recreational purposes are considered RVs and are eligible for service under RV and Motorcycle Roadside Assistance.”

They claimed that since I had a race car in the trailer, it was therefore a commercial trailer and not a recreational trailer and thereby not covered. I explained that it was my race car, my trailer, and my truck and that I was an amateur racer. When I asked what the difference was between hauling a dune buggy or ATV’s in the back, she explained that since I was hauling a race car that could win money it was commercial not recreational. Of course I started laughing at that assertion and tried to explain that this was amateur racing not professional with an occasional trophy, but NEVER any financial prizes awarded. She said well how are we to determine if you’re a pro or amateur (watch me drive?). I explained that there were only a handful of pro drivers like NASCAR or INDY drivers compared to the thousands of amateur drivers around the country. I told her I have a career that has nothing to do with racing, that it’s simply an amateur passion. They wouldn’t budge and I ended up paying the AAA hauler who showed up to haul the truck an extra $120. to haul the trailer too.

My point of this rant is that if you’re carrying RV/trailer towing coverage you may or may not actually be covered. I think next time I’ll just lie and tell them I have a dune buggy inside, or a car I’m restoring, or some BS like that. I am filing a formal protest and requesting compensation for the tow.….
Old 01-21-2006, 08:02 PM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a nightmare!

Or better yet, screw AAA and just pay in the rare event you need a tow. Once I blew a tire on the Cayenne and got the opportunity to chat with the tow driver. He said that AAA and other "club" claims had the smallest priority because they pay less. So if you ask for a tow from the side of the highway, you'll get a tow faster if you don't have AAA. I believed the guy since I got helped in less than 30mn. I had Porsche roadside but did not even think to use it...

AW
Old 01-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Jon Sailer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point about AAA. A few years back, I blew the tranny on my truck while going through Allentown PA going to Summit Point. It took a few hours for someone to come get my truck. Told them about the trailer and presumed that was the hold up as they needed something to tow the empty trailer as I was going to drive the car as it was street legal (well registered and insured).

They harrassed me over the trailer but after giving the guy $60 cash on the spot as thats all the cash I had on me, he towed the truck with the trailer attached. Knew it was a scam but didnt want to lose the trailer.

Is there a better alternative to AAA?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:42 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Another consumer ripoff. Insurance co are the worst. How can we help put the pressure on AAA?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, a question though. Was it a Ford? Tranny = Weak Link. Ask me how I know. ;-).
Old 01-22-2006, 12:50 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Sorry to hear about that, a question though. Was it a Ford? Tranny = Weak Link. Ask me how I know. ;-).
Actually it was a GMC with a turbo 400 which are relatively bulletproof. My previous crew cab dually went over 300k without so much as a fluid change. This tranny had only 10k on it since I had it rebuilt when I did the engine last year. It apparently blew a seal as it was I first noticed major smoke from the truck when I looked in the mirrors to change lanes. I first thought I'd smoked a dual rear tire so I pullled over. I was pretty shocked when I looked underneath and saw the smoke was from the front of the tranny. When I went to drive away it was starting to slip so I nursed it to then next exit. Remarkably the dip stick still read full, light pink, and smelled OK. My thoughts are the pump failed but we'll see on Monday.....
Old 01-22-2006, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I think next time I’ll just lie and tell them I have a dune buggy inside, or a car I’m restoring, or some BS like that.

last time i waited 3 hours for a tow off a major fwy 580... when my lovely M3 blew up AGAIN. they told me 30 min.... i guess we have different methods to calculate time.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

AAA left me and my family stranded on Rte 695 in MD. I promptly canceled coverage and picked up Good Sams Club (www.goodsamclub.com) roadside assistance. It includes the entire family in the coverage. No affiliation.

Charlie

Last edited by chas911; 01-22-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lieing is the best policy. My trailer was locked, and I told them the 24' Pace was a travel trailer, I had made myself. It was locked, and I told them my wife had the keys, and was going to meet me at the next KOA. They bought it. This was several years ago, when I had a Dodge dually, and a line in the trans had broken, and all the fluid leaked out. Had the line fixed, and refilled the trans and was on my way for less than $50 for fixing the trans. If the fluid leaks out of a Dodge, it doesn't hurt the trans, GM trucks are another matter, fluid leaks out, and they are usually ruined, if you try to drive any distance.

The first time it happened to me, I had an open trailer, so no lies possible there. But I conned the wrecker driver just towing the whole rig to the next exit. If he had had a roll-back, I would have been screwed. This one was 14 years ago, and I had a van, and I can't remember what broke, but I missed the race, and took 6 months to get my entry money back, but that's another story.

One thing though, always have "Not for Hire" printed on both the truck and trailer.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

I use Allstate Motor club and have the premium service.

A couple of years ago, I was coming home from Buttonwillow Raceway on Sunday evening, July 4th. My Ford E-250 van died thirty minutes from the track, half way up the grapevine on route 5. Behind the van was my open trailer with the race car. I called Allstate and they found the tow company. The van went on the flatbed and the trailer behind. No questions asked but the driver did comment that I was lucky because he had a license that allowed him to tow. Allstate paid in full for the 1-1/2 hour drive home. (BTW, the main engine computer died.)

Allstate also permits you using any tow company and sending them the bill. I have also done that and they pay promptly.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW - I've had AAA deny a tow claim on my street legal 944 race car (inspected, registered insured, plates on, etc) after a shunt at Summit Point prevented it from being rolled onto the trailer. The driver reported that it had all sorts of numbers and sponsor decals on it, so they called it a race car and wouldn't on honor my AAA+ coverage unless I showed them a police report stating that the car had been in an accident.

Should have tipped the driver $50 - as it turned into a $200 tow. Though I did learn a valuable tip from the driver that if the wheels are jammed or bent and won't roll, dowsing the trailer ramp with liquid tide or other laundry detergent will let the car slide right up the ramps - easy as cake.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:56 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Very sorry to hear that. It really is a bunch of bull. AAA should have taken care of you.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife pulls a 30ft Goose neck horse trailer with a Ford dually a lot. She had a flat on I-75 south of Ocala here in Florida. She tried calling AAA and they said they's "try" to get somebody else. I told her to call *FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) and tell them that you were a woman with two kids and six horses with a flat on the side of the Interstate and you were scared. There was a wrecker there along with a Highway Patrol officer to keep an eye out within 10 minutes.

By the way, don't try this approach if you are a guy for obvious reasons...
Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One interesting thing about AAA. Several years ago, I was dating a girl that was a supervisor for AAA. She told me that the way they determined how many people they needed to answer the phones for AAA service was that if 10% of the people during "high call" time hung up and did not get through to a AAA operator. She was dead serious about that comment. They didn't want a lot of operators sitting around.

But think about that, 10% of the people who are broken down sometimes give up before they talk to an operator. I haven't had much trouble with AAA, or I wouldn't belong, but when I have had trouble, it has be infuriating.

Bill
Old 01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert

But think about that, 10% of the people who are broken down sometimes give up before they talk to an operator. I haven't had much trouble with AAA, or I wouldn't belong, but when I have had trouble, it has be infuriating.

Bill

This is true...I'm one of the 10%. It has happened to me. These days it is hard to buy good service but very easy to buy bad service. The more a company screams customer service the faster I run away. The quiet guys do the best customer service and they don't even know it and they are worth every penny.

Quick Reply: AAA Truck & Trailer Towing Snafu.....