Sponsored by:

Racing Fuel 101 for Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Racing Fuel 101 for Newbies

I may need to start using racing fuel this next season. I have been told by a few sources now that the Sunoco fuel reportedly can have a really bad effect on aluminum engines, so I do not plan to use that fuel in my car (of course, I have no way to verify independently the veracity of the statements, but I do not plan to risk it myself).

For those of you who use racing fuel, what recommendations can you give me? How do you order, store, transport, handle and use racing fuel? I am looking at VP Racing Fuels, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks,

TD

P.S. I will be using an open trailer, and my tow vehicle is not a pickup truck (Toyota Sequoia).
Old 01-19-2006, 02:45 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where'd you hear that about the aluminum engine stuff?

I've heard it causes problems with certain fuel cells, but haven't heard anything about the engine issues.

I've been running it in my car... You remember riding in it don't you... Didn't seem like it was hurting it to me!

Brian
Old 01-19-2006, 02:52 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I will post some more details when I get them, but I have zero idea whether they are true or not. I also do not think I will have to use racing fuel apart, from perhaps one event due to time constraints, but I thought it would be interesting to hear how you guys do it. Details are still coming in.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:49 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Todd,
Post this question over on the 944Cup board. I'm sure Eric, Russ and others will tell you what they use in identical cars, and this advice will also be conditioned by what's available at the tracks we run.

I use 93 pump gas, so you need to get this from the NA high-compression boys.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:07 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks Tony!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Todd, how high is the compression?

On my stock motor I run 91 pump gas and it runs just fine. SCCA allows what 10.5 maybe. Should be able to run pump gas or at worst a 100 oct/pum gas mix.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume the concern is the lead content in racing gasoline. To my knowledge, lead does not react or alloy with aluminum in a way that would degrade its physical properties. Lead oxide is the biproduct of the tetraethyl lead used in the race fuel, but I believe the fuel contains another additive the prevents the accumulation and build up of lead oxide on the pistons, valves and exhaust.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:35 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all race gas is leaded. In fact, most that I see is of the 100-104 octane unleaded variety. Most people get into the leaded gas when they need 110+.

I have never heard of Sunoco affecting aluminum engines. It may very well have an effect, but I have never heard of it. I was warned against using leaded gas on a turbo motor as it can coat the turbine. I don't know if there is validity to this either.

If you are truly concerned, just contact Sunoco and ask them. I highly doubt Sunoco would produce race gas which is bad for aluminum engines given that most modern race engines have aluminum blocks.

Also, why do you feel you need race gas? The only reasons I can see is if you are running very high compression or have a very bad tune. You should really only do it for the first reason. If Joe P can run 91 octane in AZ heat then I think you are probably fine.

Quick Reply: Racing Fuel 101 for Newbies