Sponsored by:

Lime Rock Park raises it rates again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006 | 11:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Angry Lime Rock Park raises it rates again!

Just got a letter from HVR for the 2006 DE season.

In the letter, they said that, once again, LRP has raised its rates.
IIRC, last year they went up quite a bit, and now again this year, with no capital improvements in sight.
Why do I get the feeling that the current track ownership is just milking it for all its worth before it's sold and turned into a country club/golf course/housing development.
It really enjoy driving LRP, it's only 2 1/2 hours from home (closest track), but this is getting a bit ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2006 | 11:37 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

That's why WGI and Mt. Tremblant will be getting most of my money, this year. The balance will go to tracks outside the Northeast. The lack of decent pavement and the ridiculous daily rates have taken LRP off my tracklist.
-J
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:08 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

LRP just isn't worth going to anymore, expensive, POOR upkeep, hostile natives, f'it I'm crossing it off my list. Can't wait for that new nj track to open, there may be one in riverhead li in the not to distant furure as well. fingers crossed.
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:33 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Lewis,

You're right. Believe me, HVR isn't making any money on these LRP D.E.'s and we're all looking forward to the opening of the Thunderbolt track in Jersey. Don't forget, this year HVR will again be co-hosting with HCR the advanced D.E. at WGI.

Hope to see you at the track this year.

Ciao.

Richard

P.S. Jack doesn't like LRP either -- they don't allow dogs.
Old 01-17-2006 | 06:40 AM
lally911
Advanced

there may be one in riverhead li in the not to distant furure as well.
Chris, what have you heard? Last I heard the plan for the Calverton Grumman property was all but dead.
Old 01-17-2006 | 07:44 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It won't change until they start having days with no events.
At this rate it may happen!
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:51 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

We at HVR have debated LRP pricing quite a bit at the last two meetings due to the high pricing increases from 05 and again in 06. Considering that HVR's reputation has been to provide more track time at a lower cost that the larger regions such as NNJR, CVR, and Metro, we'll see if the lower cost part is true this year. This is important because we have only 250 members with about 15 of those members actually participating in the DE dates unlike the larger regions that fill up and have members on waiting lists. We rely on members of other regions so we can break even on our events and need an incentive to draw people. People's habits such as they are are, go where they are familiar and the other regions mentiond have very structured and well organized programs that are well known. In 2004, our rates were $110 per driver, instructed or non instructed with instructors receiving a discount, and we were able to break even. In 06, we have basically had to double the rates from 04 to break even.

The rising costs will force the smaller PCA regions to give up the dates simply because they cannot risk losing money on the events as it would wipe out the club's operating capital. It is my opinion, that 06 may be the last year some of the smaller PCA regions will be able to hold track events at LRP.

Not only did the rates substantially increase last year (40%), but after contracts were signed by both parties, LRP Management sent new contracts which included an increase to cover paving. Of course the PCA clubs signed the new contracts for fear of not getting a date the next year.

While I understand what they are doing from a financial point of view - raise rates until there is no more demand, I refuse to support LRP and will not pay to drive at the track, however, I will support my club by instructing there. It is unfortuante because LRP, as crappy a track as it is, is only 45min from my house. However, I am much happier towing to WGI or Mont Tremblant, or Mosport, or VIR than I am bending over for LRP.

Sorry for the rant this morning...

Last edited by Geoffrey; 01-17-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2006 | 10:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

The problem with Limerock is that it's only a 40 minute pull for me. I was able to get in about 8 days there last year with CVR and other regions that just would not have happened otherwise. No lodgeing needed and the proximity make it reasonable even at their inflated rates. WGI, though my favorite track, is over 5 hours away and costs me about $500 per day with food and motel, and I smile just as hard after a run at LRP as I do at WGI. If a downpour hits I can walk away from LRP, no biggie. My last two day at WGI was a washout, that bit a little deeper.. Have to find the HVR site, see what your schedule is as I don't think I ran with you guys last year but will in 2006..
Old 01-17-2006 | 11:00 AM
Z-man
Race Director

While it upsets me to hear that Lime Rock Park is constantly increasing their rates, it is my favorite track - maybe because it was the first racetrack I ever drove on - maybe because I have the most seat time at Lime Rock - maybe it has something to do with that PBS documentary "Lime Rock Park - The Secret Valley of Racing." by Chris Szwedo. (Shameless plug).

I think the big problem is that when Lime Rock was sold a couple of years ago, Skip Barber really got the best deal - IIRC they pay very little (or possibly nothing at all) for their use of the track. I guess they pulled a quick on on the new management - which is unfair to the track, as well as other organizations that wish to continue to use this historic track who need to pay more $$ to cover the operating costs of the track.

As for the re-paving plans: they have been say that for at least the past five or six years. Since until now I've been driving with a mostly stock suspension, the bumps really don't bother me!

All costs aside, the beauty of Lime Rock is the fact that while it is easy to learn the layout of the track (basically 6 turns - one lefty), it takes a long time (life time) to master this very techincal track. And big hp cars can't run away from you as easily as tracks that have long straights like The Glen and VIR.

I truly hope that management will be able to resolve their financial difficulties and that LRP's reputation will return to what it once was.

-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 01-17-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2006 | 11:52 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

I have the same problem, it's so close that I have to go there to get seat time. Hate the bumps and poor state of the track. God help the owners for taking all our money for repaving fees, then keeping the money and asking for more every year. Karma will get them. Maybe time for retaliation, some aerial bombing of the track might get them to repave if enough cars get lost in the craters?
Old 01-17-2006 | 11:58 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

some aerial bombing of the track might get them to repave if enough cars get lost in the craters?
If this happens, please use "smart bombs" and hit the bottom of the down hill!
Old 01-17-2006 | 12:34 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Aw come on John, there IS a small patch for the right wheel that is smooth about 1' out from the curbing at the apex...at least last year there was...who knows with the freezing/thawing cycle we are having this year.
Old 01-17-2006 | 01:10 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes there is, and then you hit the rest of the rollers!
Wasn't it nice of them to also paint the small patch on the uphill black after it was white for a while? Made a nice reference point for my students until it was painted!
Old 01-17-2006 | 01:11 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Aw come on John, there IS a small patch for the right wheel that is smooth about 1' out from the curbing at the apex...at least last year there was...who knows with the freezing/thawing cycle we are having this year.
Yep - love the "Homer Simpson Sofa Butt groove" at the downhill! Drop your right side tires into that depression and it will pull your car into the apex, and slingshot you out the other side! Of course my passenger-side rocker panel is about 1/2 inch shorter than what it used to be!

-Z.
Old 01-17-2006 | 02:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John Veninger
please use "smart bombs" and hit the bottom of the down hill!
That might actually smooth it out quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Lime Rock Park raises it rates again!