Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car lap timers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006 | 10:33 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Default In car lap timers?

I'm considering different ways to track lap times during track days. My local track has AMB, so if I buy a transponder, I can get printouts of my lap times after each session. I wonder if that is as effective as an in car lap timer like an UltraLap, where you get instant feedback on each lap. AMB would be a little more expensive, and simpler. UltraLap, a little cheaper, but I'd have to set up a beacon.
Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2006 | 10:49 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

David,

AMB has unit that can display your time instantly (in your car) that works off of the transponder. It's around $500 and doesn't give you much else. So that's $350 for the transponder and $500 for the display. But then, you will never have to set anything up at the track. They usually leave it on all the time at MSR, so it can be useful. I don't want one in my car because I think it will distract me.

George
Old 01-11-2006 | 10:58 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

George,
Do you have a transponder? I guess I could get just the transponder and see how I like that. I can also easily move it back and forth between my car and Arianne's.
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:11 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I've got one hardwired on my car. I also have a rechargable one. They are great.

I also have a hotlap timer that I used for one DE. It picked up half of my laps and it wasn't easy to set up.

George
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:53 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

David:

I considered a hot lap timer and decided on GPS DAS. It is so inexpensive now for a GPS system such as a G2x and the info is really helpful. Easy to install. You will know any segments you want and be able to tweak your corner entry/exits , g-loading, etc etc. It was sobering at first, but I dropped 1-2 secs avg per track in the first of using it. I even mapped the Nurburgring during closed course track days ( you won't believe the g's a rental bimmer can load in the Karussel) Price is 899.00. I believe there are other threads on this from a week ago. My unsolicited thumbs up.
Old 01-12-2006 | 12:09 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

In your shoes, I'd keep it simple. The AMB display only works if the AMB software at the track has been updated to the latest version, and it costs much more than an Ultralap. An Ultralap can also be moved to wherever you're driving -- many events won't have the AMB signal running, and sooner or later you'll be trying out some other tracks. The Ultralap also has a lot of features (temperature, time and track name get recorded; it has 2000 laps of memory and a computer interface) that the more-expensive AMB display lacks. With a transponder system, you can also get and compare split times if anyone else brings a transponder.

I'm always surprised that people worry about forgetting to get the beacon before they go home. It's not like you'd forget to put the spare tire back in the trunk when you're done for the day.
Old 01-12-2006 | 12:33 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Another vote for the Ultralap. Great features, rock solid reliable, grabs AIM beacons, simple and effective.
Old 01-12-2006 | 10:37 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Tape a reminder to the dashboard of the tow. I keep the dash tag stored with the beacon when not in use. This after leaving it once but geting it back. Put you name and cell # on the thing too.
Old 01-12-2006 | 08:35 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Tried for a year to get the Hot Lap a customer's car came with to work. PUH! I took his new UltraLap to VIR this fall to try it out, forgot the directions, and still had it running right out of the box, first time. Can't beat it!
Old 01-12-2006 | 08:56 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

How hard is it to set up the beacon and get the receiver to read it? I don't know how hard it would be to get access close enough to the track to make it work. I understand there is about a 60ft range, is that realistic? George, do you know anything about where people are putting beacons at MSR? Do very many people do that there?
Old 01-12-2006 | 09:04 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

I located mine inside the last turn coming onto the main straight at VIR. It was well uphill of the track surface and somewhere near 75-100' from the track. It worked flawlessly.
Old 01-12-2006 | 09:12 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

David,
Walk over to the pit wall and look at the line up of beacons. THere are bound to be at least a few AIM beacons. The ultrlap gronks the AIM beacon, and ignores additional AIM beacons after it sees the first one. I very rarely have to set up my own beacon.
Old 01-12-2006 | 11:43 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Very few people put up beacons on our track. I hardly see one, and that's only on DE days. They usually place them at the top of Rattlesnake. On member days, I can't ever recall seeing one. Most of the people I know just use the transponder.

George
Old 01-13-2006 | 12:48 AM
bnewport
Racer

Default G2Extreme

I just got a G2Extreme and so far it's awesome. I agree with the other poster w.r.t the dash display, I'll be leaving that home, it's just distracting. I just posted initial impressions of it on my blog for those interested.

Billy
http://www.trackpedia.com
Old 01-13-2006 | 08:56 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

About that G2Extreme, I guess you need to use the dash unit to see real time your lap times. Is that correct? Can you program it to just show realtime lap times?

Quick Reply: In car lap timers?