Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA vs PCA

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:08 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although you didn't ask...why not open the discussion up to NASA v PCA v PBOC v Chin. All are quite active here in Florida. There are some differences, of course:
NASA allows HPDE 4 drivers to pass, with or without a signal, anywhere...no passengers here.
NASA allows its instructors to run in any group HPDE 1--3; and, if qualified, HPDE 4.
Chin has a great deal of track time.
Chin's afternoon sessions allow (don't know if still allowed) for all drivers to be on the track at the same time--can get tricky.
PCA is more Porsche oriented (of course) and that's OK, but for non-P drivers, I guess it can be a factor.
PCA has the ultimate experience in the 48 Hours @ Sebring--a real blast!
PBOC has many of the same drivers in the other groups.
PBOC tends to have frequent events at all of the Florida (+) tracks.
PBOC's organization is really second-to-none...PCA is very close though.
For me, I enjoy them all!
Old 01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Like Agio, I have done both as well here in Florida. For Driver's Educations I prefer PCA the most, although PBOC has the most events scheduled by far (1 per month and somethimes more). For racing, I definitely choose PBOC. They are not only safer but they have no problem kicking out the "problem" drivers which usually come over from SCCA and think Rubbin' is Racin'. Yes, the 48 Hours is the Largest and most entertaining Club racing in all of Florida but I certainly like running with the other makes and models when racing as well. Personally, I have never been a Chin fan. Mainly because the 2 events I went to were REALLY unsafe. Now, I have heard they have improved things but with so many PCA and PBOC DEs and Races all throughout the year at all the tracks, why would I change a great thing? Just my H.O.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Problem solved for NASA MidAtlantic. A modifed 13/13 rule is enforced for all cars in the Autobahn Run Group, which for 2006 will include the 944 Cup and SpecE30. We are expecting the same for the NE Chapter of the 944 Cup.

Is Ohio-Indiana listening?
Old 01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to give huge props to Dave D for wrangling the modified 13/13 for the entire Autobahn race group, and setting it as the standard for the new NE chapter of 944Cup as well.

It was interesting to watch the difference that this change has made since it has been introduced and enforced. It is not the PCA "hit any vertical surface and get a 13" rule. Its been modified to provide a strong and enforceable deterrent to car to car contact, while reconizing that guys go off for all kinds of reasons.

As for PCA v NASA, I agree with most fo what has been said. I'm a PCA National instructor, and race with NASA. Have instructed a few NASA HPDEs and find that aside from the diverse range of cars, there is little real difference. NASA runs a terrific race event.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
I am hearing about people doing more NASA and less PCA ?
Could anyone give a good compare and contrast of the two ?
Thanks,
Gregg
Gregg:

I have done DE's, races, and have been part of race/DE managment for both. I 'd say PCA and NASA are both great to do track time with. You really can't go wrong. The formats and rules vary a bit here and there, but both organizations have super people which I think ends up in a good time.

Suggest trying both, you may find you like both, and can then pick and chose from what they both have to offer.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I have raced in PCA for a couple years,two years ago I raced in the PBOC Sebring January event.Outstanding. I look foward to some NASA events this year.
Thanks Eric GTS 2 it is.
Gregg
Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I have only done one NASA race and I was somewhat dissapointed with the level of turn out in GTS. I think if you want to race a 944 or Factory 5 , legend ect NASA is great, but don't expect to see the kind of high quality fields you get at a big PCA event. The big PCA events are simply head and shoulders above NASA when it comes to quality of cars and drivers IMHO. Last year at the Sebring PCA race we were treated with drivers like Wolf Henzler, Robin Liddell, Leh Keen, Cory Friedman, Kevin Buckler, Mark Hupfer, Chris Cervelli, ect. Same at WG with a number of others thrown in that I don't have space to mention. You would have to go to professional level racing or maybe SCCA runoffs to see better drivers/cars. PCA is a jewel of a club race series. HSR might have nice cars too, but in PCA they race em hard.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gregg,

check out www.44cup.com for dates for Supercup - there are a lot more in the northeast starting this year.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are't you guys really arguing points between a car club (PCA) that concentrates on ownership of a marque and not racing, but does offer races for the diehards......

to a club thats sole purpose is racing, performance driving (whatever) and anything that is associated with time, speed etc........and not a specific car or marque?

I mean kinda like walking verses running......sure you can run and may, but usually walk.

Or have I missed something?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris,
Well to me it NASA and PCA are nothing alike.

PCA is a club based on the Porsche and does track events and even racing as part of the overall experience.

NASA is a for profit group whos mission is to provide track time and racing.

From my stand point PCA is great place to go to simple have fun with other Porsche people. I do autocrosses with PCA since my local group holds the best and most fun autocross events. They are more for fun then pure competition. When I did DE days I would always do PCA DE's first then other club events. Why? Firstly to support my local club and second because the PCA DE's we hold are quite relaxed and fun. Nothing to over the top. I did other club DE's like NASA to visit tracks the PCA did not and for the experience of other cars.

When I started racing I stated in PCA Club Racing. Soon I moved to NASA racing as classing was 1000 times better in NASA than in PCA for my low budget stripped 944 (spec racing vs GT4S in 2450lbs 135 rwhp car, you decide). Also there was a full season of NASA races locally with a points championship. Plus NASA offers the chance for me to visit california tracks and race there multiple times per year should I chose. Also NASA race weekend are cheaper and always have one race each day. (instructor or not)

So add it all up and I perfer NASA for racing and PCA for autocross and other events. I run PCA autocrosses when the time permits and try to do most DE days as an instructor with PCA. As for PCA club racing... I have given up considering my car is far out classed and the limited west coast racing. I will be at out local PCA club race this year, but as an Instructor for the DE part not a racer. The money that would have gone to the PCA event is going to fund a trip to Cal Speedway where I hope to race 15 to 20 other 944-spec cars. Last time I was there I ran nose to tail for 30 min racing two other 944s in class and 3 or 4 other Honda's Running in H4. We all ran laps for 30 min with in 1 second of each other. Pretty cool indeed.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Chris,
Well to me it NASA and PCA are nothing alike.

PCA is a club based on the Porsche and does track events and even racing as part of the overall experience.

NASA is a for profit group whos mission is to provide track time and racing.
Exactly my point! I just started reading everyones posts and thought......why is this even being talked about? You go PCA for the comeradery(sp?) and to enjoy a marque, and you go to NASA or SCCA or whatever to beat the hell out of your marque there is no real comparison.....is there? I for one do really enjoy the hole DE thing as apposed to racing (in theory anyway ) I mean I love the competition of racing, but the work to fun factor and the polotics and genral BS that goes with it.........not interested any more.

Had my jollies with that, now its time to teach others to do it
Old 01-13-2006, 01:54 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC

I mean I love the competition of racing, but the work to fun factor and the polotics and genral BS that goes with it.........not interested any more.

Had my jollies with that, now its time to teach others to do it
Amen!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:41 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

NASA, better to get your start and get used to driving in traffic, even with a buddy in the car. more track time. great feeder to race groups.
PCA for a great marquee event weekend, more rules, they talk safer, but usually they have their share of mishaps. great racing as well, and lots of cars!
and SCCA for just racing only, no manufacturer preference.

MK
Old 01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Thank you for all the input really shortens the learning curve.
As to why its being talked about well this RACING forum is just that a place to discuss and gather information about racing Porsches.
Thanks again for all the insight.
Gregg
Old 01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ya, well, if you are running with a bunch of strangers in a programme with relaxed rules, maybe being "on the bumper" is not the right pace to be. I NEVER get near anyone I have not watched closely and evaluated.

"If in doubt, DON'T!"

We, at Dexter Autsoport run under relaxed rules successfully because to offset the risk we very carefully monitor our participants and most importantly, their attitude. It has worked for 12 years with a safety record that is actually better than our local PCA region. Much of that is due to us having many fewer "Greenie" drivers than PCA.

Last edited by DGaunt; 01-13-2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: NASA vs PCA