Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Opinion: 993 Cup or 996 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 05:30 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Get lots of pictures! Get it checked out (full leakdown, etc) And buy all spares. Either way they're awesome cars.
Old 02-07-2006 | 05:44 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Default I feel your pain RJohn!

Rjohn,

As you can tell from this thread, I too have pondered all the questions you have. There are several ultra knowledgable ultra nice guys (like jim N, GG) who can give you excellent guidance.

I looked high and low for a good 993 Cup. Couldnt find a nice clean one that I liked! They are hard to come by, so if you find a great car and you know that is what you want, do your homework as Mitch suggested and execute on your plan. Mitch is right about the prices, 65K for well raced cars, 80K for the creme de la creme.

Any Porshce factory cup car will be a winner for you. After doing all my homework, I am going for a 996 Cup. Still seaching for just the right car, but I am zeroing in one and supspect you guys will see me driving a cup car at the Road Atlanta race in April!

Thanks to all those who have helped me. I appreciate it. Hope this helps you RJohn!

Jimmilew
Old 02-07-2006 | 07:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RJohn
Jim, Mitch, thanks for the input. A little more info: the car is actually a 1998, one of the last few manufactured. The car was delivered new to the USA to the original owner. I have also seen a copy of the original sales invoice from Porsche and it has the original owner's name on it as the buyer. Then there is a second invoice from the original owner to the second owner. I should clarify my comment about the mileage and the clubraces to say that the second owner has done a few club races in California. How many races the original owner did I have no idea. To the best of my knowledge the engine/trans have not been out of the car.
Any more thoughts?
Yea, why don't you join Rennlist? You've posted over 50 times and received lots of valuable info, you can afford to help support this forum.

If that's the red car in LA, he ran it last summer at PIR with POC and drove it at only about 6/10ths. I though he said it came from China...Pretty car!
Old 02-07-2006 | 10:58 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

I knew a guy here in CT who bought the last red 993 cup car available, it was really clean. Initials LB?
Old 02-08-2006 | 01:53 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kev
The 996 motor makes a neat whistling noise instead in the upper rev band.
Does anyone know if this "whistling noise" is caused by running an older style RMS along with a one-way crankcase breather valve?
Old 02-08-2006 | 10:16 AM
HODY905
Rennlist Member

Default 993 cup or 996 cup

Analogmike, the original buyer/owner was from Connecticut but I don't recall his name.

JGordon, I am a member of Rennlist. In fact, I joined in July, 2000! Yes, the car is in LA and the second owner was Japanese and sold it prior to returning to Japan. The guy currnetly in possession of the car owns a parts shop near Burbank and I believe he bought it from the second owner hoping to flip it and make big dollars. I had originally saw it abdvertised for $100K and last time I talked to the guy the car was still sitting in his shop and he said he would consider a $90K offer. So I guess that's why it is still sitting in his shop.
Old 02-08-2006 | 11:10 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

We've checked with our contacts in Germany and getting parts for the 993 cup isn't an issue, it seems to be just another case of PMS NA not wanting to be bothered with looking up or stocking older parts. We can still get the 3.8L heads, later style rockers, rods, etc.

Quick Reply: Your Opinion: 993 Cup or 996 Cup