Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Lap Description/Walk-Through

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:48 PM
James-man
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched one of TD in DC's videos on the computer before driving at VIR for my first time. You really do not get good depth perspective from a video.

I found the video helpful in initally learning the track because I gained familiarity with the sequence of turns around the track. The video did not help me take the turns but helped me remain aware of what comes next such as up climbing esses you go left right left right LLLEEFFT. It took me nearly the entire weekend before I even started coming close to using the whole track on that LLLEEEFT. There is a lot of track there @ turn 10.

I just read the 3 page link you provided. That looks good - would have helped me out, that is for sure. It wasn't until the end of the weekend that I realized that I didn't have to do all of my braking on turn 14. Brake 3/4, turn in left, brake the remaining 1/4 then turn right. The rolling hills seem like an ominous place to go off track but there is a little bit of speed to be carried after the long straight. I would have benefitted by studying text instead of just video before my first VIR visit, but either way a great time to be had there!

Enjoy!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

I did the VIR Zone 2 event last year with a few of the other RTR track junkies. Long ride to get there and back home but worth the effort. 1st day last year we did the "Grand Course" which includes a different infield section then I could find on any video or written description and had a hard time getting that part of the course to have any consistent line. The last two days of the event we used the standard full course and the videos I had watched certainly better prepared me for the full course. By the third day VIR began to feel comfortable and consistent. I did take an instructor out with me the morning of day two and that also helped a lot with the learning curve. The only problem I had was with high winds in the back straight making passing a bit of a challenge. Wind would move you at least a car width when you got hit by a gust. There a first experience for everything on a track and the wind just added another check mark to the list of been there done that. Intend to go back again this year and drop a few more seconds of those lap times. Hope you will be part of the RTR VIR or bust group this year.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by 930man
... you need to post the viper spining at kink on front straight infront of the E36 m3 from last year,,,, i think it was at the Mazda event
Here's a link the "Viper Attack" video at VIR on the start finish straight:

http://jeffsweb.net/viperattack.php

Man, everytime I watch that video, it gets my attention.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:07 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Here's a link the "Viper Attack" video at VIR on the start finish straight:

http://jeffsweb.net/viperattack.php

Man, everytime I watch that video, it gets my attention.
Welcome Falcon! When are you going to buy a GT3?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Hey there Rearengine! Falcon was already taken on this forum so I had to have a handle.

Man, I'd love a GT3, but I'd have to sell my soul!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:38 PM
hatchback
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike K.
There are a bunch of videos on the mazda site. Mostly on how not to drive VIR by some guy called Crispy.
http://www.negative-camber.org/jam14...o_archive.html
If I'm not mistaken, those Ferraris are with some guy named BIGHEADDENNIS
on this board. But he apparently cannot be passed .
I have seen a lot of VIR videos, and Crispy's hot laps are some of the best. His VIR lap times are fantastic and he is one of the smoothest drivers I've ever seen.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Your best bet for VIR is a more visual reference. I have a dvd of the course and the VIR site has a pretty descriptive track walk with commentary. Remind me for the next Reisentoter meeting and I can dup a copy for you. If your looking at a DE event, alot of will attend the Mazda club VIR event early next year as a tune up for the cars and any mods. 8hours of driving to the track, but I feel it's worth it.
Are you referring to the http://www.mazdadrivers.com/ event on 3/25-26 this spring? Do many RTR folks go down for that? For all the transit time, I'd rather have three days there, especially because it will be my first time at that track.

I would appreciate a copy of the DVD!
Old 01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by renvagn
Do a search of VIR VIDEO. I believe it is titled, "a lap at VIR in a cup car". It is Lee Keen's cup car and is some of the best quality I have seen. It was a great help in my first trip to one of my now favorite circuits. Why did you have to bring VIR up again, I just stopped dreaming about since the early Nov DE. Also there is a thread that was run in middle Nov. 05 from people who were quick and experienced. It was started by rennline rennlist, aka John Henjy (butchered his spelling of name)
I wasn't able to find that video, but I did find THIS THREAD. Is it the one you were thinking of?
Old 01-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Check out my videos page (link in signature). Look near bottom of the page for the ones dated 11/14/2005. Those have a good field of view.

And yes, I've been playing VIR on GTR all week since Christmas!!!! Its about a 90% accurate representation of the track, and a blast, just like the real thing!

Brian
Excellent videos--thanks. (I'm holding off on GTR until PS3 comes out. I want to start learning the 'ring....)
Old 01-03-2006, 04:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Are you referring to the http://www.mazdadrivers.com/ event on 3/25-26 this spring? Do many RTR folks go down for that? For all the transit time, I'd rather have three days there, especially because it will be my first time at that track.

I would appreciate a copy of the DVD!
We should have 6 to 10 black/red group drivers going down. Most are instructors so you would normally be able to get an RTR instructor to move you quicker through the VIR course. 2 days, yes, but well worth it. For a first event, 3days at VIR can be like the Glen and really wipe you out. By the way, the Nurburgring event has just been scheduled for Aug 14,15,and 16 including Hockenheim and hopefully Spa. Already booking the flights and setting up a Euro delivery. 2006 should be a great track year!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
smankow
Pro

Bob, I went onto the Maza site, but it doesn't provide any "real" info such as registration forms, cost, etc. Any thoughts?

I am also considering VIR this year but my life is HELL until April 15 - the problems of a CPA.

thanks,

Steve
Old 01-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a press release about the Zone 2 VIR event later this year:

The Zone 2 DE will be held on Friday, Saturday, Sunday March 31st- April 2 at VIR. We will be using the Full Course all 3 days. Registration information will be released as soon as it is available sometime in January and be forwarded to all Region Presidents. Please note that this weekend is the same as the NASCAR race in nearby Martinsville so accommodations may be harder to come by then last year. Information will be released when registration opens listing area hotels who will be offering PCA members reasonable pricing for the weekend. In addition we will have RV and Tent camping available at the track for the entire weekend. If you would like to be placed on an email list to receive registration information as soon as it is available please send an email with Subject "Z2 DE Info" to jimmar@ptd.net
Old 01-04-2006, 03:07 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchback
I have seen a lot of VIR videos, and Crispy's hot laps are some of the best. His VIR lap times are fantastic and he is one of the smoothest drivers I've ever seen.
2:17.85 in a 295rwhp RX-7 is not that fast. There are F class Carreras that run that fast with sub-200rwhp.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

38D:

I was waiting for someone to point that out... But I didn't want to be the one to do it...

Brian
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to bring my camera to the spring Zone 2 event, and post some more videos. Hope that you can make that event, Brian.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: VIR Lap Description/Walk-Through