Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recutting MPSC for the wet -anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 03:39 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recutting MPSC for the wet -anyone try it?

anyone with first hand experience?
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. I have full tread RA-1s for the wet and in case of need in the dry. The MPSC are what I mostly run. If you need it done, Roger Kraus in the east bay can do it for you.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:24 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't full tread MPSC's have very little tread to start with? I'd imagine getting a different tire with more tread, like the RA1's would work better than recut MPSC's.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
No. I have full tread RA-1s for the wet and in case of need in the dry. The MPSC are what I mostly run. If you need it done, Roger Kraus in the east bay can do it for you.
thx

i was thinking of picking up a tire groover. 60 bucks so it's not too bad.

i want to run the toyos but they don't come in the sizes i need for 18x8.5/11. MPSCs have the perfect sizes for my rims.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:47 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Don't full tread MPSC's have very little tread to start with? I'd imagine getting a different tire with more tread, like the RA1's would work better than recut MPSC's.
the deepest circumferential grooves are 6/32" yet the lateral grooves are half that. recutting the lateral grooves as well as adding grooves to the shoulder would probably help.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

personally, i would never run mpsc when it's wet or cold. but that's just me.

you might want to pick up another set of rim, stock C2 rim size runs RA1 very very well. rear will be 275's. but the car is very balanced that way. i ran like that for 5k miles.

some may have different exp, but i prefer shaved RA1 over MPSC. it's about 1 sec slower for me in most track. some ppl are actually faster with RA1's like kibort. RA1 is not finicky like MPSC, i can go out and drive it really hard in lap one. i dont have to warm it up. when MPSC is cold, it's hell scary.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:42 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would seem to me that the best tire to groove for the wet would be the RS05 Hoosier. It is the softest of the bunch, and in my experience provides the most grip when cold. Seems like that would be the best base for a rain tire, then just add water evacuation grooves.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:44 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
some may have different exp, but i prefer shaved RA1 over MPSC. it's about 1 sec slower for me in most track. some ppl are actually faster with RA1's like kibort. RA1 is not finicky like MPSC, i can go out and drive it really hard in lap one. i dont have to warm it up. when MPSC is cold, it's hell scary.
I am about a second faster on shaved RA1s over the Cups at Summit due to increased confidence w/ the Toyos. I know that's not how it is supposed to work.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Tire grooving is not difficult to do, just a lot of work, especially when you are at the racetrack with you and your crew to help groove 6 sets

Like Larry mentioned, the softest tire would be the best to modify for wet conditions.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used MPSC's a couple of years ago in a 10 hour race, and they worked fine, and the last 2 hours was in the rain. You are just supose to put 8 more pounds of air in them for rain. In SCCA racing or PBOC for that matter, I would use either Hoosier Dirt Stockers, or Hoosier's new rain tire. I know PCA won't let you use Dirt Stockers, but I think you can use the new rain tires. I sure wouldn't cut a Hoosier slick, their ain't that much tread anyway.

MPSC's absoultely suck on cold dry tracks. In my humble opinion, their only good point is that they wear like iron, which is good for enduro's. Changing Hoosiers or Kuhmos every three stints would be better, but I don't want to spend that much money.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car

Quick Reply: recutting MPSC for the wet -anyone try it?