Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best non Rcompound tire or 100+ treadwear for the track?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:13 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best non Rcompound tire or 100+ treadwear for the track?

looking for the best non r compound or any tire that is just above a 100 treadwear rating. for the local timetrial series there is a 100 point "hit" with tires up to 100 treadwear rating. toyo ra1s are right at 100, DOH! anything out there above 100? avoiding this hit effectively bumps me into a lower class

i've read somewhere that the BFG t/a KD street tires are 140 but tirerack shows 200.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

In terms of actual grip, you should take wear ratings with a grain of salt. They're assigned by the manufacturer and are not the result of any kind of testing at all. Depending on the sizes you need, there are probably several good options for autocross. Falken Azenis have long been an autocross 'cheater' tire because they're much stickier than their wear rating would suggest.

I'm not an autocrosser, but I can tell you that in the larger sizes that I use (275/315x17), the BFGoodrich t/a g-force KD's are still the best dry track street tire. Some people have had good success with shaved S03's (they have a gummier level deeper down, designed to help grip as the tires ages and wears), but they're still not as good as the BFGoodriches.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yokohama Advan Neovas were the best non-R tire for Autocrossing in the latest C&D test. We just got a set for our WRX, but won't know until the season starts.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

What's wrong with Toyo RA-1's? Their tread wear rating of 100 splits the rule and can be argued!

Can't go wrong with KD's. They are very popular in SoCal.

I'd go with the highest rating so your tires last 40,000 miles. That should give me chance to catch you in the corners!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it from the chair. Toyo RA-1's are 100 points.

275/35's fit on your Kinesis rear wheel?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:02 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by earlyapex
What's wrong with Toyo RA-1's? Their tread wear rating of 100 splits the rule and can be argued!

Can't go wrong with KD's. They are very popular in SoCal.

I'd go with the highest rating so your tires last 40,000 miles. That should give me chance to catch you in the corners!
dude! were are 5 classes apart but you are still faster than me

trying to go from TT5 to TT6 so i don't think the toyos are gonna help.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Bill Foster
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm on Falken Azenis 615's and love 'em.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:12 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it from the chair. Toyo RA-1's are 100 points.

275/35's fit on your Kinesis rear wheel?

who's the TT chair this year?

well if the toyos are 100 points then i am going with 245 up front and 305 in the rear. my kinesis k18s are 18/8.5x11 with gt3 offsets. i think i am gonna have to do more fender rolling and more camber though

Last edited by karlooz; 12-31-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
In terms of actual grip, you should take wear ratings with a grain of salt. They're assigned by the manufacturer and are not the result of any kind of testing at all. Depending on the sizes you need, there are probably several good options for autocross. Falken Azenis have long been an autocross 'cheater' tire because they're much stickier than their wear rating would suggest.

I'm not an autocrosser, but I can tell you that in the larger sizes that I use (275/315x17), the BFGoodrich t/a g-force KD's are still the best dry track street tire. Some people have had good success with shaved S03's (they have a gummier level deeper down, designed to help grip as the tires ages and wears), but they're still not as good as the BFGoodriches.

ahh too bad the azenis aren't in 18" sizes would they be good for the track or will they quickly overheat? i am looking for track tires for time trialing.

the bfg kd's come in 295s but have s tread width of 9.8". kinda stretched for an 11" rim, no?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew Forrest is the chair. He wrote me that 100 TWR tires add 100 points to your modification points. The new GGR TT/AX point rules need to be tightened up as the give point below 100 and none above 100, but don't state what 100 TWR tires will get you.

Check out the competition in TT5 vs TT6. There some folks with very fast toys that drive like my mother-in-law so you should be able to hang with them

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...del=ECSTA+V710
Check out the V710's. They've done well in the SCCA and they are DOT tires.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:17 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew Forrest is the chair. He wrote me that 100 TWR tires add 100 points to your modification points. The new GGR TT/AX point rules need to be tightened up as the give point below 100 and none above 100, but don't state what 100 TWR tires will get you.

Check out the competition in TT5 vs TT6. There some folks with very fast toys that drive like my mother-in-law so you should be able to hang with them

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...del=ECSTA+V710
Check out the V710's. They've done well in the SCCA and they are DOT tires.
i've been thinking of the v710s but i want them to last for more than a weekend . drive to the track with them, fuggeddabboutit. tirerack's experience is that performance drops off after a weekend.

slow guys in TT5/6? you are being sarcastic right?
...drive like my mother-in-law so you should be able to hang with them
oHHH that smarts
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

What are friends for. You'll get faster with time and good instruction. I'm not that fast, but each year I get better and closer to the truly fast drivers.

I've got a factory roof rack that you can use to help you transport a set of track tires!! You can then use MPSC's, which are perfect for you car.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in TT5 now, not sure where I'll end up this year, and I'm slow. Come out and play.

I've still never been to Infineon/Sears Point. I'm looking forward to running there next month, hopefully the first WE in Feb with NASA to get my racing license with them and then later with GGR for the first TT. I've got to improve this year so I can keep up with Jack.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:24 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Man, I totally should have moved to NorCal. Stupid family commitments *shakes fist*

I was so about to take an offer from California. But, I couldn't. It takes something like 10 hours to get home (Tampa). You guys are killing me. If they would have given me the offer at the end of the day before I "thought" about it, I woud have been really close to taking itl.

Seems obvious they chose the tire ratings to exclude certain tires.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:27 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'm in TT5 now, not sure where I'll end up this year, and I'm slow. Come out and play.

I've still never been to Infineon/Sears Point. I'm looking forward to running there next month, hopefully the first WE in Feb with NASA to get my racing license with them and then later with GGR for the first TT. I've got to improve this year so I can keep up with Jack.

you are int TT5 with a 964? you've got it modded up the wazoo!
edit: actually you car isn't that highly modded. if you cut off 10 points you will be in TT6.

oh ya, i'm definitely coming out to play. i'll be at sears point the friday before and participating in the GGR event as well making it a 3 day track weekend.

Quick Reply: best non Rcompound tire or 100+ treadwear for the track?