Best awning for a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best awning for a trailer?

I want to get an awning for the trailer that I am buying. Can you guys recommend a good one? Also any better features and/or which ones to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Larry
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, here you go. This is all you need.

Awning
Old 12-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Larry,

Look into a EZ Up tent as well.

Having had both I prefer the easy up tent instead of the awning hanging off the side of the trailer. It is tough to get a double wide spot to accommodate the side awning at the more popular events. The EZ up can go off the back or side of the trailer.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:23 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

The camper-type awnings are ok for some shade and rain protection but you have to be facing the right direction to get full shade and you will get tired of banging your head on the supports (really).I have one on the motorhome and they tend to break at the handle - not a huge thing to fix but you need a rivet gun and a new handle -PITA.

I'm needing one for my new trailer as well and am leaning towards a custom enclosed-typewith a fixed rail on the trailer side and the rest of the frame would be stored in a tube inside the trailer. Some of the nicer ones I've seen have a raised portion above the trailer roof that have a vent flap for wind stability. Sorry I don't know where to get one made but I'm sure someone here does.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seege
The camper-type awnings are ok for some shade and rain protection but you have to be facing the right direction to get full shade and you will get tired of banging your head on the supports (really).I have one on the motorhome and they tend to break at the handle - not a huge thing to fix but you need a rivet gun and a new handle -PITA.

I'm needing one for my new trailer as well and am leaning towards a custom enclosed-typewith a fixed rail on the trailer side and the rest of the frame would be stored in a tube inside the trailer. Some of the nicer ones I've seen have a raised portion above the trailer roof that have a vent flap for wind stability. Sorry I don't know where to get one made but I'm sure someone here does.
These are good points. You do have to be careful about hitting your head on the supports (usually once does it). And the trailer should be in the best position for the best protection (but that usually isn't a problem).

Breaking handles I have never experienced. Maybe I am lucky. The good thing about the awning I suggested is that it is setup in less that 30 seconds (no kidding) by ONE person. I also have the pop-up tent but that is a pain for one person and takes a little longer to deploy.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry;

A&E and Carefree are the two biggest RV types. They are nearly bulletproof these days. From all of the campers I've been around (both using and appraising), they are the best bang for the buck, easiest and quickest to use, no question.

If you need more protection, you might need to look into racing type enclosures. How much hassle you want to incur will make the decision for you. Personally, I don't want to spend a lot of time and energy setting up an enclosure. Most of the time, it's not necessary.

My prefered setup will be to have one on either side of both my truck and my someday box trailer.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Larry... decide what car you're going to run using that trailer yet?!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Mitch, I have my eye on a pretty trick RSA that runs in C. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Are there any tricks/differences to mounting an awning on an enclosed trailer vs a motorhome? I've never looked that closely to see exactly how these things attach.
An awning would be nice, especially when I take my son karting (which is WAY more often than I get to drive!)
Old 12-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

One thing that I do know is that trailers are lower than motorhomes, and so your awning needs to have less slope to it, or the leading edge will be too low.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:16 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Larry
I can't give you any advice on what kind to get but I can give you 3 pieces of advice about the use of them. A big enough wind can pick up a floor jack, 5 gallon jugs of sand/water or nitrogen bottles being used to hold the awning down (Summit Point). When holding onto an awning and you start to come off the ground like Dorthy let go (Nelson Ledges). Take the awning down when you are leaving the track for the day. The storms that blow at night in Indiana must be stronger and will take a very expensive, attached to the 40' trailer, oval 3" aluminum framed, side walls with doors and twist the frame members into an "object de Art" suitable for display or in this case unrepairable so toss it in the dumpster (Putnum Park, Not me). You may not be passed by a awning on the track but don't count out those lawn chairs.

Bill Love
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 12-21-2005, 08:07 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mitch, I have my eye on a pretty trick RSA that runs in C. We'll see what happens.
Yes Larry, C class much better than D ...... don't need to be looking for you coming up on my tail next year.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:16 AM
silver44
Instructor

Default awning or maybe a canopy

I just wanted to jump in here. I bought a canopy from KD Kanopys and I am completely happy with it. The only issues I have are when the when the wind blows...I normally use 5 gallon gas cans filled with water to anchor it, but when the wind really blows I take precautions or take it down. Under most conditions its not a problem. Also you need to make sure that the fasteners are routinely tightened so that the canopy doesn't get too loose.

I got a 10x20 and it works nicely for me.

Just my thoughts...

Don

Quick Reply: Best awning for a trailer?