Sponsored by:

Terror while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:33 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some comments:

1) It is interesting to see how quickly egos get tied up in this thread.

2) Also interesting to see the references to “skirts”. I for one would be very interested to hear a female’s perspective on this. Am I right that not one single commentator here has been female?

3) My personal opinion is that fear is a negative that must be conquered. Fear is something that must be overcome when trying to get beyond our own psychological barriers.

4) And in my opinion, to be truly fast, we need to be driving in a place where we are comfortable and fear is not getting in the way. I think the heightened awareness and feeling that everything is happening in slow motion that others refer to is very relevant here.

At least that’s my own personal take on this topic.

Stephen
Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark, I'll tell you now that initially I would probably be scared as hell. I saw a restored McClaren Mark 8 D run a few years ago at Watkins Glen and that car just exploded out of turn 9 at was up to 10 in a heartbeat. I have never seen a road racing car with more visible acceleration than that.
Something like 15+ years ago, I was on track at Watkins Glen, poodling around in my Alfa GTV race car, when I got passed by Oscar Kovaleski in his McLaren M8 (aka 'Car 54'), just at the exit of the 'Toe'. Massive rumbling sound at the thing blew past me and disappeared over the rise, headed toward the 'Heel'. As I crested the rise myself, Oscar and car were gone...G-O-N-E gone. I expected to see his tail end someplace around the entry/apex/exit of the Heel, but he was long gone. It left a lasting impression on me. The acceleration potential of those cars is staggering, and if you've never seen it up close, you'll never have any appreciation of it.

FYI...Oscar is still running around loose, and is just as entertaining as ever. Saw him in November at a meeting in Allentown...I hope I have that much energy when I'm his age.

(If you're saying "WhoTF is Oscar Kovaleski ?", I suggest a quick trip to Google. The guy is a legend in professional road racing going back 40+ years).
Old 01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
FYI...Oscar is still running around loose, and is just as entertaining as ever. Saw him in November at a meeting in Allentown...I hope I have that much energy when I'm his age.

(If you're saying "WhoTF is Oscar Kovaleski ?", I suggest a quick trip to Google. The guy is a legend in professional road racing going back 40+ years).
Now that is a name from the past.

I was quite an avid Slot Car racer in my youth. Actually placed 5th in the Pro Nats in 1980. I remember Auto World vividly. How about this Helmut?

Just found it on the the Atlas F1 board.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Terror while driving