Sponsored by:

944 Trans temp gauge sender options????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 Trans temp gauge sender options????

I’m working on installing a temperature sending unit into the transaxle drain port but want to be able to put a wrench on a cap head instead of a 17mm allan. Does anyone sell a sending unit that threads into the drain that works with the Auto Meter Diff. gauge with a cap head for a wrench? Anyone have any ideas or other options for the installation?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you tap and drill your own hole (in the bolt plug of course) and install the sensor yourself? That would be the simplest I think.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

The ideal place would somewhere other than into the plugs, as this makes maintenance more of a nuisance. I have not really looked into it for anything other than a pumper box with a cooler, but I would imagine you might find a good spot on the right side R&P cover. This would allow you to not have to remove and dissassemble the box.

Looking at the case just now, there are no unused bosses cast into it like for the fill/drain plugs. The ideal spot would be next to the drain, as it is recessed back into some webbing and would give clearance for the bulb to go into the trans. If you looked at the right side cover, I'd then get some 1"+ aluminum bar stock, have it drilled a tapped for the appropriate size, and have it TIG'ed into the cover, creating a smalll extenral housing. Alternately, you could use aluminum tube with a thicker outer plate to tap into.

Can't see a real easy way unless you were to make the sender your drain plug. Don't really like that on philosophical grounds, though!

Quick Reply: 944 Trans temp gauge sender options????