Sponsored by:

02 996 "C" Class race car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:20 PM
bellspeed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 996 "C" Class race car

Great 2002 996 C2 for sale set up for "C" class in PCA.

NOTE FOR MODS BELLSPEED IS NOW A MEMBER. Bob
Old 12-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Great car ! So is the 993
Old 12-08-2005, 10:55 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You won the pole at Road America? I thought I did?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:31 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it have X51? Tough to run with JimB without it!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:26 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JimB:

I think he meant his time with this car would have won the pole. The car is setup for C stock not actually racing in C stock yet.

Kam
Old 12-09-2005, 12:36 PM
bellspeed
AutoX

I was planning on running in "C" that weekend but we had our second daughter on the
Mon. before RA. I'm a very lucky Guy my wife, 5yr old and 3 day old came with me to do DE. I did not have enough time to put the window net and kill switch in and did'nt think the fam was going to go at all. So I figured I was lucky just tot do DE. In De I ran 2:30.9 and i believe pole was a 2:31.4 by James Breaky here's the link
http://www.pca.org/pca/clubrace/2005...a/BlueQual.htm
Great job on the pole man!
No the car does not have X51 Makes great power though and the set up is right on!
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 PM
bellspeed
AutoX

I never thought about it but with X51 the car would be quite potent!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:13 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bell,
Congrats on you new child. It doesn't get any better than that. I was just kidding about the pole. I knew what you meant. I have to warn you though that there is a big difference between running a fast time some time during a weekend and doing it in qualifying. As you can see, some pretty fast guys were in the 2:31 to 2:32 range. We have all run well under 2:30 at other times.

As for your car, it looks great but is probably $20K - $30K from being a competitive C car. X51 is a must. Aero kit is a must. Monoballs and adjustable control arms are a must. Better dampers would be nice. A cage is a must. Two sets of wheels are almost a must. The LSD is probably illegal. It adds up pretty fast. You could have fun with your car the way it is but it might be hard to be competitive against the 993RSCSs, progressed RSAs, 993TTs, etc.

Don't sell it. Race it.
Jim
Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM
bellspeed
AutoX

Jim ,
Thanks again we're a lucky Family! By the way your absolutley correct about qualifying and running great times during that session. Remember all of us can run quick times but you need a well prepared car as well as a well prepared driver, and don't forget we all need a litlle luck. I 'm from a different school of thought I do not believe that I need to spend another 20-30 k on my car to be competitive which is proven by being able to run low to 2:31-2:35. Rmember this is in traffic in a DE session with close to 60 people in the run group that certianley are not experienced in staying on line acknowleding faster cars and letting them by with out slowing themselves or others down. I ran 3 sessions and did 20 - 25 laps total all weekend ( family commitments at Blue harbour ). One of the problems with PCA Club racing is people spending to much money on what they're told are the right parts. More people should spend less time buying more parts and more expensive cars and focus on more seat time. As I see It I could 've qualified in the top 10 with my car when I had stock suspension + (Eibach lowering springs and alignment) on it running a best of 2.35.2 and fairly consistent 2.36- 2.38.s in DE traffic @ labor day. So for your statement that the way you see it, my car is 20-30 shy of being a competitive car. I would have completley disagree. I might even say that you've spent 20-30K more that might not of been completely necesary. By the way the car was set up to exact PCA rules and I opted for a roll bar because the car was street driven. Oh yeah the car weighs around 3225, nothings been removed except for the rear seats to fit the roll bar. I can still take over 300 lbs of weight out and be at the specified 2910 weight limit. The areo kit 4-7k I did'nt need to spend, still able to enjoy tracking the car with out it looking like a GT3, and yes at longer tracks it can help with downforce but not a necessity. Hm, maybe I should keep the car! Anyways, I'm sure we'll see each other soon at the track. Happy Holidays!

whatever. just drive

Shawn Young
Chief driving enthusiast
Performance Drivers Inc.
shawn@performancedriversinc.com
Old 12-13-2005, 01:11 PM
bellspeed
AutoX

Default info on "C" class 996 for sale

Here's the info on my car thats for sale.

2002 Porsche 996 C2
Speed Yellow/Black
19k miles
Less than 1k track
This car is completely set up for PCA class “C”.
It has the best of everything.
• Full coil over double adjustable Moton Suspension with GT3 Adjustable Sway bars and race drop links.
• Full Race alignment and corner balance.
• Largest size Fikse wheels and Michelin Pilot sport cups suitable for narrow body 996(GT3).
• Das Sport Roll bar with sticker for PCA club racing.
• OMP Race seats for driver and passenger.
• 5 Point cam lock harnesses for both driver and passenger.
• Fabspeed straight pipes for better sound and weight savings.
• Racing pads, Stainless Steel Lines, GT3 Brake duct cooling, and Blue fluid.
• I/O Camera mount, Intercomp Lap timer, K&N filter, 3m Clear Bra, and Short throw shifter.
• Limited Slip Differential
• Porsche GT3 oil pan from PMNA
• All needed to club race is to install supplied Window net and Kill switch.
• Dyno sheets stock @ 300 HP. (wow!)
• 2:30.9 @ Road America Pole winning time. 1:347 @ Autobahn South track and 1:09.6 @ Autobahn north track.
• Very fast and well sorted.
• Asking Price 60,000.00 OBO.

For more info see Shawn Young or call @ 630.205.0055
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
The LSD is probably illegal.
Yeah, I didn't think a LSD was a factory option on 996s. Nice looking car tho'
Old 12-13-2005, 02:05 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

There were two factory LSDs on 996s. The 99 could be ordered with one and the 04 came with one as part of the 40th aniversary package. The others rely on PSM.

Shawn,
I just noticed your previous post. You may be right. Your car might be just fine the way it is. We'll never know unless someone races it I guess. My comments were based on taking a 996 from a car that could run good lap times but not perform well in a race to a car that could hold it's own against the very tough cars in C. For all I know you could drop into C and whip us all. I really wish you would stop pretending in your ad you took the pole at RA though. I really think that's a spot you have to earn.
Jim
Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM
bellspeed
AutoX

Just to clear the air, I was only addressing the fact that If I would've been club racing that weekend and was capable of running that time during qualifying I should've been on the pole that particular weekend. I also posted a link to the website that showed how well you did and I believe even commented that you did a great job. So anyways, I was not on the pole. Jim B. was. Once again, nice job and congratulations.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:27 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
You could have fun with your car the way it is but it might be hard to be competitive against the 993RSCSs, progressed RSAs, 993TTs, etc.
And the rare Turbo 3.6!

Question: would it be legal to add X51 to this car after the fact (e.g., this car did not come with it from the factory)? Said another way, if your car model was offered with a factory power kit are you permitted to add it and stay in your stock class? (Jim, I wasn't sure if you were suggesting he could upgrade this car to be X51 or if he'd have to find another car.)
Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Charlie! I didn't mean to leave out the rare 3.6 turbos.

As I understand the rules, you have two options. If your car was available with an option from the factory, you can simply add it. i.e. If the X51 was available as an option in 2002, Shawn could just add it. I think the second option is to "update" the car to a version found later in the series. That's why I run my 99 chassis as a 2004. 2004 had the best available drivetrain so when I converted from a 3.4L to a 3.6L I teched it as a 2004.

Shawn,
Not trying to start a pissing match. See you at Seibkins next year.

Jim

Quick Reply: 02 996 "C" Class race car