Sponsored by:

Track Events - Let's Do the Math

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:49 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jamie, no offense taken here.

Glad to hear that you are getting more involved, guys like you (who care what is happening in their region) are always a major asset.

Keep in mind when doing the math that the total numbers can be misleading.
If you have 50 students and 50 instructors you don't have 100 paying customers.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ran in white group this last weekend - it was my first time at VIR. Friday was good because I could learn the track, but by Saturday when my speed is up, I was constantly waiting to pass. It seemed maybe the speed differential was pretty extreme in that group. Next time I would feel perfectly comfortable in the more advanced groups and perhaps then I would not have the same issues.

I also agree that some traffic is good - it makes it fun to run with people, sometime chasing, sometimes being chased. But in the end, I wish regions/clubs would orient their events to serve the membership in the best ways possible - fundraising should not be part of that equation.

And. if I have my wishlist fulfilled, that might mean running track events that do not include instruction. Imagine signing up for an event that allows you to go out anytime during an eight hour period running for as long as you like. When you get tired or your car needs a rest, bring it in. You can then go back out again when you are ready.

Here's another idea: let the students pay for their instruction. Most personal trainers I know get $40 - $50 per hour. Instructors that want to make extra money can take on extra students. I really see no reason why an instructor should have to take 2 students. I can not even imagine having three.

edit - just to be clear, I did not start this thread as a criticism of any club or region. I am just trying to understand the financal balance of track events. To those that contributer their time to make these events happen, I know firsthand the time and effort required, so I greatly appreciate your contribution.. If organizers in NC area needs a hand, I am willing and available

Last edited by JBH; 12-05-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9-kevin-11
Hi Chris,

I had a lot of fun - I bought Ed Coon's DVD for CMP - so I'll definitely be there (assuming i can get signed up fast enough - i understand CMP usually fills in a few days). How did things go for you as an instructor? And, which car were you instructing in the green group? (it probably passed me on Saturday, but I probably returned the favor on Sunday )
Well apparently, everyone at this weekends event will get an email before or at the time of open registration, so watch for it and get ready! Instructing could not have gone better My guy went from not even knowing what he didn't know on Sat. .....to passing everything in sight on Sunday
He was a pleasure to teach, did as I told him, watched those videos after each class session and after I took him out during Blue on Sunday to show him a couple of corners he just wasn't getting (as well as scaring the living SheShe out of him ), he ended up "racing" this C5 Vette that I told him he was "not to loose". I was so proud, not only for him (he had an amazing transformation over the 2 days), but for me as well. It was a personal sort of gratification to realize that I could actually put what I knew across to someone else and see the fruits of my efforts! Thanks for asking.

Oh and there were a couple of cars he actually passed twice in the last session, so we were both just giddy! He was #67 Silver 996 C4
Old 12-06-2005, 09:57 AM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Jamie
I would also like to be kept informed about the group 52 future possibilities
Old 12-06-2005, 10:27 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Jeff,
I'll put the brothers on the list.....not the Allmans but rather the Leders. Actually it would be quite a koo to have the Allmans involved especially Dwayne. Sorry was listening to 'Eat a Peach' last night....what a great album.

I think it might be a good idea to get this idea floated in a seperate thread. I'll look to get the up today or tommorow and start putting together an email list of those who are interested.

Jamie
Old 12-08-2005, 11:24 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I have chaired or co-chaired the april VIR event for five years now. the problem with pricing the event for just a limited number of participants is what if you dont sell out. Your stuck with a loss. What club can afford a loss!!! We have been pricing the event for an 80% participation break even. If we sell out( approx 200 cars) we make a modest profit. Shared between regions who fund the startup cost we get enough money to build the treasury a little and spend in on the clubs non money making activities for all to enjoy. I liken it to the football and basketball programs at schools. they bring in the dollars that help fund volleyball girls/boys and other non spectator sports.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 AM
smankow
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie, I'd like to be kept in the fold for the '52 as well
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hear you and I understand a club can not afford a loss. So, how does your club attract participants relative to all the other clubs that rent the track? I think there is some value for a club to put on an event that is different - different in the context of offering more time on the track. The question is do you charge:
$125/day for three 30 minute sessions and get 200 people or
$200/day for five 30 minute sessions and shoot for 125 people

The time per minute on the track is the same and your revenue is the same.

I am completely willing (as I think are most participants) to pay the extra money. The cost of getting to the track, lodging, gas, etc. makes the extra track time a more cost effective option.

My point of this thread is to hopefully encourage clubs to consider more (not all) events with more track time. Three 30 minute sessions is just not enough.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:21 AM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 689 Likes on 489 Posts

Jeffery,
You have summed it up perfectley. The fixed costs are the same regardless of amount of run time. I'd rather pay the $200/day for more time. Something else I would like to see is have the clubs (if possible and I believe with your method of limiting drivers it is possible) let me know in advance what the run group set up will be. Or if they can't make the final determiation until all apps. are in they could tell me the min. amount of run time that I could expect to get. This way I can make the decision wether I want to trailer 12 hrs. for the event. I mean I've run PCA events were I got 80 minutes and some were I got 150 minutes a day. This is quit a difference.

Jamie
Old 12-18-2005, 10:11 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Jamie, let's get the ball rolling on the WGI event. I still say 60 drivers max.

Quick Reply: Track Events - Let's Do the Math