Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"90th Percentile" VIR Pilots... Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 01:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

To elaborate on what Jim said, I think the three largest areas in that lap were: 1) 11/Oak Tree 2) braking on the front straight and 3) at the back straight. As Jim already said, 11/Oak Tree was ruined by the GT3, so not much to say there. On the front straight, I think you could start braking at the 2 marker, trail it all the way down to the first apex. For the back straight, I would brake slightly at the very last marker, turn in, get back on the gas hard, then brake with all you've got for the next right hander. When done right, I think it's the scariest section of the track.

Oh, and what is that red light that keep going off on the dash?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:36 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Jim;

Yeh... that was not my best lap for sure. I muffed NASCAR, and Left Hook a bit. I must not have liked something (??) through South Bend because I did drag the brake a little long. I only filmed from that camera position for that one session, and the later laps were more or less ruined by that pokey GT3 and other traffic. I don't know what he was up to, but signaling me by and letting me go was not on his list, and I've 9-10 more laps just like that on film. Kind of a waste to run MPSCs and go that slow.

I agree. What I sort of knew, and those who have responded (here and by PM) have essentially offered, is that it is up to me to screw up my courage a bit tighter and give 'er a bigger go. "Longer straights" and deeper braking mostly. I think my biggest gains will come going harder/longer into the dip and up the hill into 11, and also the same into 14. After that, taking a real flyer off Hog Pen might grab a couple tenths. I'm definitely doggy out of Turn 1. My turbo gear box is NOT ideal for the power band, for sure.

To make all of that extra entry speed work, I need a bit more oversteer. Like I tell everyone who asks why I still drive a "slow" car, The limiting factor is still me, what then is the point of having more power?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
When done right, I think it's the scariest section of the track.
Yeh, perhaps I've thought of that subconsciously... too much That falls under the heading of screwing up ones courage, methinks!

Oh, and what is that red light that keep going off on the dash?
Brake light.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, besides all of the good critique that you have received I think that you should use 2nd in turn one. You do not have enough torque to carry 3rd, and I think that the added acceleration in 2nd will more than make up for the shift to 3rd, no matter how awkward it is or where it occurs. Think turn 1 at Summit Point.

I know that everyone wants you to power through 14, rather than coast, so I won't mention that.

You may not be able to do this because of your redline, but I use 2nd down rollercoaster Boy do you get down the hill in a hurry. I feel that you lose the benefit of the steep part of the hill waiting for 3rd gear to spool up, at least in my car.

I would also try stuffing the car deeper into 16, braking harder and then taking the same line through 17. Every little bit helps.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my best lap from the VIR grand am / PCA club race weekend
[http://members.rennlist.com/bill935k...best%20lap.wmv

What I would have given for a fully dry track and catching the traffic at better points.
Plenty left on the table
Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill935K3

What I would have given for a fully dry track and catching the traffic at better points. Plenty left on the table

Quite frankly, Sir, I think you are "insane!!" Shhhheeeeesh!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry;

The shifting ideas are not new to my mind. Although you are right about the boot in the butt, I think I am carrying a bit too much speed through 1 and 14 for 2nd gear, redline at only 6200. Maybe not. Worth a look though, eh? I have tried 2nd in Left Hook, but the extra driveline mayhem just did not seem worth it to me.

Perhaps another reason I don't race (yet?): Mechanical Sensitivity.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RedlineMan

Quite frankly, Sir, I think you are "insane!!" Shhhheeeeesh!
Insane? Kinda looked like fun to me. Bill went by that GT3 like I go past 944s I was able to get a good look at him at Summit Point though. The wet cups could stay right with him down the chute and through the carousel.

And John, I meant 2nd gear around the right-hander into rollercoaster. Just to help get launched down the hill.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Now that's what I'm talking about! Bill, what's your top speed on the back straight?
Old 12-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

I was able to get a good look at him at Summit Point though. The wet cups could stay right with him down the chute and through the carousel.
Heck the good drivers were faster. In the chute I could not sail in like a wanted as I was having trouble getting her whoaa'd down. Since i put solid rotors on back (cracking drilled) now I have trouble getting all the front I can use. We ended up cutting down rear pad area as I ran out of bias. We are searchng for slotted front rotors. I only get about three race weekends out of drilled alcons fronts. I had a rear lock up snap spin there in paractic. I'll try to find and post tonight.
As far as the carousel the GT3cup multi linck (mechanical grip), better front/rear weight % and the stiff nimble setup means I don't have a prayer. Through there any type of optimal line and Tom Pank would dart in. When I was behind him if I tried to hold his speed I would wash out

Bill, what's your top speed on the back straight?
172-174 MPH. I've got to get Bill P to send me a CD of all of this year's data to play with over the winter. I'd be courious to compare the speed and time/distance of that 1:58 lap with one earlier in the session to see what the loss in exit speed passing that 911 out of oak tree cost me on that lap. I would bet 3MPH all the way down the strait and maybe as much as a second?
NOTE the shift lights coming on in 5th so far from the brake zone was a distraction. We reprogramed them after the session but then came the friggin rain!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

172-174 MPH
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Heck the good drivers were faster. In the chute I could not sail in like a wanted as I was having trouble getting her whoaa'd down......As far as the carousel the GT3cup multi linck (mechanical grip), better front/rear weight % and the stiff nimble setup means I don't have a prayer. Through there any type of optimal line and Tom Pank would dart in. When I was behind him if I tried to hold his speed I would wash out.
Thanks Bill. I did not want to come across as obnoxious and say that you were holding me up there! Actually there are good drivers and there are good cup cars. Tom is/has both. I could see in the carousel that my car did not have the level of grip that some of the other cars had, and had to rely on better lines and cajones to keep in touch with them. That unfortunately was still not enough to run more than mid-pack. Ok for my first time back in 6 years I guess.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

What I would have given for a fully dry track and catching the traffic at better points.
Plenty left on the table
Nice Video... thats the High power car's line !!!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Bill935K3
Racer

Default a couple of Summit Pt vids

http://members.rennlist.com/bill935k3/RearLockSpin.wmv

EDIT second one loaded on site but will not play. it is 8MB and I can e-mail direct to the posters who are interested. It is me following Tom Pank and over taking him. Show how well Cups handle carousel at Summit Pt
Old 12-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Cool, Bill. Can you send me one at mark.lee at longandfoster dot com? Thank you.

Quick Reply: "90th Percentile" VIR Pilots... Your Thoughts