Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on track car purchase

I am considering purchasing a track car and have narrowed my choices
down to two class possibities.
Let me first say that I have NO experience in tracking a P-car and do not
wish to get in over my head.
I am looking at two cars, first is a FP 911, very well prepared-sorted,
very competitive with an excellent driver. Second is an IP 911 also
well prepared-sorted, competitiveness unknown as is drivers capabilities.
The IP car can be had for about $15k less than the FP car.
Do I purchase the IP car and as my driving abilities (?) improve,
look to modify the car further and move up in class or just step
in with both feet and buy the FP car.
Opinions please!
Old 11-24-2005, 11:04 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve,

Although I commend you for having race classes in mind when considering cars (too many folks take DE cars and upgrade themselves out of competitive classing which hurts them when they decide they want to go racing), if you are a novice I suggest you start out with an unprepared (e.g., street) car. It may not be the seemingly cost effective route, but you will learn more and be a better driver long term for it.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 AM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Experience in driving race prepared P-cars, NO.
But have drivin in Formula Ford, shifter karts, and a
few DE's.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:26 AM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I can give you a different viewpoint. I bought the D car you see in my avitar before I had ever stepped foot ( or tire ) on a track. I got this crazy idea I wanted to go racing. For me, I think it turned out to be a good decision and the cars great handling and feel made me feel more confident on the track. It was also nice that it had all the safety equipment installed. As I got better, the car was further developed with an upgraded drivers seat, wheels, exhaust and finally suspension. I started out with Yokohamas, then progressed to toyos and finally hoosiers in the final events before I went racing. There are many other viewpoints and some will not agree with my approach. I would say get what you like, and only you know what that is. I always wanted a 911, so that's what I got.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:12 PM
tlark
Drifting

Steve, I too have considered your same question and have the same racing background in FF, enduro karts. For me, I don't want to get into a more dedicated track car that impractical for street use in some respects yet I want to be able to learn and excel in a proper equipment without going over the line of modding it. Purchasing a turbo with the knowledge of doing 6-8 days of DE a year or as time permitted and installing some proper seats/harness and r compond tires does work well w/o diving in with both feet. If I feel the need after some more seat time maybe.......

You have a C4S, have you considered tracking that ? It might be a way to help you make a better choice later.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:37 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your replies.
A IP car is really a street car dedicated for track use
with the addition of mostly safety equipment and the
removal of non essential items(i.e., weight saving).
An FP car on the other hand has many more mods
such as welded in cage, many suspension upgrades,
additional lightening, etc.
So back to the original question, buy a turn key FP car or
for $15k less buy the IP car and while growing as a driver, the
need for speed increases, put money in the IP car and move up
in class. The $15k could really go for funding additional
track time.
Your imput?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Not sure what IP and FP designate but I am very happy with my decision to buy a solid SC to base a PCA G-Stock car on. I had it built up to about 90% of it's potential and took it to the track. I've done about 10 DE's with it since August and plan on doing the rest of the conversion this winter (fuel cell, sunroof delete, fiberglass rear bumper, lightweight carpets and RS door panels. I went from a 997S to this and IMO made a great decision as I now drive the car 100% (vs. the car driving me) of the time and have a car that is up to any task. I could have had the car done in increments but I had no issues with hopping in her and running hard from day one and am glad I did it this way.. you can buy a prepped car and dive in, buy one partially prepped, or buy one stock and make GOOD friends with a reputable shop that builds winners in the class you want to end up in. My way was the most expensive in the end andI still have no regrets!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having built race only cars before ( not P-cars but this still applies), I can honestly tell you that you'll never get back what you put in to a car. Now I can already here some of you griping that its not about the resale value, but you're wrong. Steve, if you haven't experienced racing, DE's....owning a track prep'd car before, buy the turn key. You 1. probably won't be able to recreate the turn key for the purchase price (if its truely been done right) 2. you'll spend more that you truely should to finish the other car. 3. you might get frustrated if the unprepared car isn't up to par, which may discourage you from continuing on. And lastly, you already have a street car, why have another half street/half track car?
Old 11-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Absolutely agree, buy the fully prpped car if $$$ is an issue and you don't have a the ability/access to a good shop that builds race cars. What I quickly saw in my case was that the "fully-prepped" cars I was looking at got quickly torn to shreds when discussed with my shop. Wrong stabilizers, wrong spring rate, cheap strut brace, shock valveing WAY off, etc. etc. etc... Was well worth the extra $10K to build it WITH my guy and have, in my case, PERFECT results from day one. Just as a price check, I dropped $18K into a $12K base car and will spend another $3-4K this winter for paint and a few "trinkets".. I would doubt that I could sell it for close to $25K, but have no intention to either way... LOVE the damn thing!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:59 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can see...

Lots of way to skin this. If you feel you need to get your feet wet, go low on the scale. If you feel you already have a good performance driving baseline, buy a prepared car. BUT...

You either need to go to school and learn what a good car is, deal with someone who DOES know to check it out for you, or buy from a race shop/broker on consignment. There are LOTS of track cars out there, but a lot of them are less than desireable when you truly know what to look for.

No question it is cheaper to buy a turn key car, but only if it really is. Tired cars are no bargain!!
Old 11-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Well put John..
Old 11-24-2005, 10:03 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Gary, another good point is that if you do build a car and do it CORRECTLY your resale will be stronger. DE guys build too many cars that are in between GT and stock class PCA, limiting their resale to the DE market. If Gary's car is done right, he could get $25k all day long. I sold my F class 911, which was built to the limit of the rules, had the receipts and lap times to back it up, for over $30k.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Gary, another good point is that if you do build a car and do it CORRECTLY your resale will be stronger. DE guys build too many cars that are in between GT and stock class PCA, limiting their resale to the DE market. If Gary's car is done right, he could get $25k all day long. I sold my F class 911, which was built to the limit of the rules, had the receipts and lap times to back it up, for over $30k.
Most people in the Northeast know of Hairy Dog Garage (Dan Jacobs). If anyone on this earth can build a G-Stock car it's him. While I agree with the premise of value that you speak of concerning a properly built car I still think you will NEVER get your investment back, even if the best builder has his hands in your car! I sure will try to prove myself wrong someday but I doubt I will..
Old 11-25-2005, 02:00 AM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Gary, you're right on. I only meant that it helps the resale value. You know what they say "the best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one."
Old 11-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJR911
Gary, you're right on. I only meant that it helps the resale value. You know what they say "the best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a big one."
That is a very good, accurate saying!!! Add to the cost of the car the $12K trailer (small aluminum enclosed), extra parts, and now another $40K for a tow vehicle I can live with (was using a too small borrowed truck)..

Quick Reply: Opinions on track car purchase