Sponsored by:

Opinions on track car purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Lothar
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary and Mitch,

Great points!!! I bought a G Class car that was partially done. It had a great drive train and nice weld-in cage, seats, harnesses, etc. The non-sunroof, manual window coupe was the ultimate starting point for an SC based G car. I did have to upgrade the suspension with shocks, struts, torsion bars bushings and adjustable sways. I now have two sets of wheels for rain and dry. I am very pleased with the result.

I don't race the car and my schedule has been very conflicted, thus limiting my track time in 2005. However, I know that there is a G Class wannabe out there that could step into my car with a transponder, cutoff switch and window net and be competitive given they had the talent.

Then again...maybe the G Class wannabe is looking back at me in the mirror. Time and budget will tell. I plan on getting a lot mmore track time first and I would really like to be a DE instructor. I really enjoy infecting others with the track bug. I'd also like to help them do it well.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:21 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Steve,

You've heard some great advise from people who walked the walk. The only thing I could add is that there several J & K-P cars on the POC website that are currently for sale. Because there are 4-5 of these cars available, I would think that the market should be quite fllexible. Take a look! Also, do have a reputable tuner check any car out for you. You live near several.....
Old 11-25-2005, 11:01 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The better the equipment -the best results will happen-
I had never raced and went in w/both feet -A skip school
(3-day) -and raced with local clubs -There are great deals
be aware of what to look for-Take a pro builder with you to look
at the car and check it out,it is the best money you will ever spend!
Old 11-26-2005, 09:44 AM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Thanks Gentlemen,

Will be attending POC race this coming weekend to check
out a couple cars. Hope to see you there John.

Also on Dec 4th a seller is delivering his car to my shop
for inspection on our newly installed lift.

Also attended the HSR West races at Palm Springs last weekend
to look at a couple of 2 liter challenge cars. While the cars were
very prepared and very well driven, I am not confident that venue
is to my liking.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for your input, Steve
Old 11-26-2005, 10:47 AM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Shameless self promotion - I have a top notch C prepared RS America for sale, still street legal. I have som eroom on the price, details here: http://www.boxstar.net/RSAmerica.htm
Old 11-26-2005, 11:19 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Steve, you've not stated your goals in purchasing this track car. Will you be racing it with the PCA, POC, or other sanctioning body? You're definitely doing the right thing by attending a few events to get a better feel for each sanctioning body and the folks that run with them. The cars that you are looking at are going to feel and drive much different than your C4S, but you'll be able to quickly adapt and have fun. I personally like the rules of the PCA production class as it allows you to modify the car more than the stock class. The modified class scares me as there are some very big money going into those cars. I would go with a fully prepped race car, especially consider the safety items, i.e. a proper cage, up to date seat and harness, and fires system. Cars that are mixed street/track have too many compromises.

I like the I class over F class. The cars look more fun to race with. They have less hp so you will have to drive them. I've got a 78 SC and it started out as a mix street/track car and has ended up as a full duty race car. I managed to convince my wife that this also includes a trailer and tow car It cost me a new house, landscaping, and outdoor kitchen. They never put these extraneous costs on the list of things that you have to buy to go racing!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:46 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveAbrahams
Thanks Gentlemen,

Will be attending POC race this coming weekend to check
out a couple cars. Hope to see you there John. Steve
Steve please do come find me. As you know I went down this slope earlier this year and I'd like to share some thoughts with you in that respect.

I would definitely take a look at a C stock like the RS America listed above. The 964/993 platform have a lot to offer and are price quite competively when compared to 20-30 year old race cars.....
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Eric, the car I am looking at on the 4th is an I class car.
Looks like a lot of fun with out spending the big bucs.
I am leaning towards POC-PCA as we have several tracks
to run within 6 six hours of my home.
A question for you. What modifications would a I class car
have that was taking full advantage of the rules for that class?
The owner has told me if he modified his car further it would be
moved up in class. The car currently has a bolted in cage, no
fuel cell, some suspension mods, front oil cooler, lightened to
2600 lbs. What mods are neccessary(and legal)to compete in I class?

Steve
Old 11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steve -I class -you must have interior complete -No suspension camber plates -and a motor built by
a pro -16K -Great shocks (suspension is key) Custom KMR sway bars- custom torsion bars A lot of "I" cars are as fast as G cars -Buy a winning car,and yes they are inexpensive-look for the right go fast parts-I have run 7 years in I class -what fun!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:32 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's difficult to give you an accurate answer to that question as there is only one POC race up in my part of CA and simply no PCA Club races that I can quickly think of. Roadblocks comments are a good place to start. In general, tightly regulated classes are won by good drivers with cars that have been tested and modified to suit their driving style and tracks that they run on. Some of the very competitive classes can get expensive as each competitor seeks to get a bit more hp than the next. The I class car may be a 4th place finisher with the former owner, but that doesn't mean that the car will be as fast in your hands. You should see what the other I class cars are running in terms of suspension and where the good engine builders are in your area. I would make sure that it has been well built from the safety standpoint and that the transmission, engine, suspension are sound. It's not a good buy if you have to rebuild them. The suspension should have enough adjustability that you can get the car to feel comfortable especially that the car will be new to you. It sounds like allot of fun. The POC is very active in you neck of CA. I wish they had more stuff up here.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:19 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve,
Are you set on a 911?

Reason I ask is POC has the GSR class. Really is the same as 944 spec.
Fully prepared cars go for 10-12k and racing is very strong. Sure they are not 911's, but the speeds are not that different and costs are lower.

Also the biggest edge is strong racing competition in POC. I think there were at least 5-6 cars in class for each POC cup race and more like 8 or 9 for each short track event. With numbers like that you get plenty of racing action.

Also the cars can be raced in class with NASA southern California thus giving you more options for events. You can race a 911 with NASA, but don't expect similarly prepared cars as you would run in "catch all" type classes.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Thanks again everyone for your replies.
Eric, thanks for the insight. I really need to look hard at
PCA rule book regarding classification. I am a little confused
on the differences between the I,H,G and F classes.
Joe P, yea kinda stuck on the idea of a 911 track car. But
who knows the budget may not allow for it.

Steve
Old 11-29-2005, 09:56 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have fun in your search. Take your time and gather as much information from others that have jumped into a track car purchase. Try to get into an early car. You may hat it coming from a C4S or fall in love with them as I did. In that case, a newer car may fit the bill and might have fewer maintenance issues. The 964 and 993 platforms are really nice and there are some attractively priced cars out there.

Quick Reply: Opinions on track car purchase